Close

Default 1979-1982 turbo set-up by ford

Does nay one drive a mustang or other ford, that uses the 79-82 2.3 factory turbo set-up, going to install in a 78 mercury bobcat wagon and was wanting some tips or info of what to watch for or avoid!!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bbobcat75; 12-18-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    1986 ford mustang 351w
    1975 mercury bobcat hatchback runabout 2.8 v6
    1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3 turbo project!

I have one in my Indy and have owned several in the past.

Frankly, the motors were a horrible design and a maintenance nightmare. You'd be better off with the EFI setup.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

why are they a bad design and why is maintance a nightmare??!?!

thanks

eric
    1986 ford mustang 351w
    1975 mercury bobcat hatchback runabout 2.8 v6
    1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3 turbo project!

Quote Originally Posted by bbobcat75 View Post
    why are they a bad design and why is maintance a nightmare??!?!

thanks

eric
    Do yourself a favor and google "draw through carbed turbo" and look through the results.

At the very least, find a way to go blow through with the carb.

Turbo technology was in it's infancy back then. The bearings were not water cooled and they were prone to have the oil coke up on the blades. Alot of them had catalytic converters between the exhaust manifold and the turbo inlet. When the converter material broke down it turned into shrapnel and was sucked into the turbo.

They blew turbo seals big time and were inadequately lubricated. Even at the low factory boost setting of 5 psi.

All the switches and relays on the motor was operated mechanically by a spaghetti bowl maze of vacuum lines.

It's a wonder they even worked at all. You are just not allowed to use the words draw through turbo and reliability in the same sentence.

If you like punishing yourself, throwing tools, and swearing then it is a great project. Otherwise put an EFI turbo setup in it from a later car. Much better reliability and much more power. I had the boost turned up to 20psi with just minor bolt-ons for my stock SVO motor.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

would it be possible to use your current turbo set up and just drill out and add some injectors ports in each runner and gut a carb just to use as a throtle body ,and run a computer and ingnition out of a 83,84 gt turbo or something eq most of us have done la3 upgrades and still have our oe computers .they should be cheap to buy but im not sure about the wiring but im sure it could be figured out .i think it could be done, might be fun .may be more trouble than it would be worth but just a thought .do the earlyer motors have forged internals too?
    I would rather be juged by 12 than carried by 6