Close

New User

Default SVO with no spark

figured id come here an ask a few questions before I go dropping cash on parts, hopefully this will all make sense.

So the history on the car first of all:
    -was involved in a front end wreck, nothing too horrible just smashed the bumper in and bent the ram horns.
    -i drove the car to work twice after getting it back from the body shop and on the second day got caught in traffic and the car overheated on me (rad. fan not coming on)
    -now in the process of trying to get the car off the road when it overheated a ground wire came loose near the battery, and let off some smoke (under the hood)
    -after i got off work i tried starting the car and noticed the fuel pump outside the tank was not coming on like normal.
    -after getting the car back home we ran a power probe to the pump, and still it wouldn't start.
    -now the car isn't even getting spark.

my question is, do you think the computer could have been fried and is cuasing all of these problems? or is more likely to be something else? im really at a loss here.

check all the fuses and fusable links, if they are ok check the eec relay. All that is free to check

New User

i did replace the relay under the drivers seat after the overheating issue, ill have to run through and check all the other fuses and fuse links.

also i was thinking maybe the inertia switch is buggered from the accident but not sure what the symptoms of that would look like.

always remember KISS

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

Inertia switch doesnt just go off days after...

I thought the inertia switch only killed fuel, not spark.

FEP Member

Did you try another coil?

I would make sure the EEC is powering up.

Does the fuel pump prime on first key on event? This is a key event (sorry, didn't mean the bad pun)

The EEC turns on the fuel pump as a prime, then does not energize the relay again until PIP signal is detected.

So if the pump does the prime event, the system is working as intended. If it does not prime, then I guess the intertia switch could be a player.

With you saying no spark, that points to the PIP or TFI as culprits. Both will give no spark and the EEC will not see the PIP signal to run the pump (but it will still prime).

Unfortunately, the issue could be PIP, TFI, or wiring.

I wouldnt go near any of that however until you go through the fusible links as was suggested based on the other issue.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

I had a no-start issue with my SVO and checked the usual suspects: TFI, fuel pump relay, different coil, even tried a different distributor. As crazy as it sounds, I unplugged the VAM and it cranked (ran like crap, but cranked). My VAM was bad. Might be worth trying to unplug the VAM, then try to crank the car. If the VAM is unplugged, it will go into LIMP mode. Only uplug or plug in the vam while the engine is off and the key is off just to be safe. I don't know if this will help, but it's a free way to see if the VAM is the issue.

The ignition module on the side of the distributor would be the most likely culprit for a sudden no spark problem.
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

FEP Power Member

Check the ignition switch. Not the key part. They are cheep $10 and I have had them fall apart with age. Alll the power goes through them.
    Kendal

New User

thanks for all the help you guys, still workin on this problem, got done checking all the fuses and links and i had 1 larger fuselink that was reading no voltage on one side only, just having a hard time locating a replacement.

still gotta get back out to the car after the holidays and go through some of the other possible culprits.

i will be posting my solution here whenever i do figure it out though.

New User

Finally got a chance to get back out to the car earlier today.
    dug out the computer from the kickpanel area and noticed it had some scorch marks on it and thought maybe it was ka-put.after relizing it wasnt the problem i went to go reinstall it and found another relay tucked up into the kickpanel that was for the computer. got a fresh one and it started right up!

thanks again for all the info and help.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up.

FEP Member

Glad you got it sorted out.

That relay up by the computer is the EEC relay mentioned in a previous reply. This relay turns on both the computer and the fuel pump relay under the seat. I always keep spares for both of these relays in the glove box.

How can I tell if a Fuse link is bad? wiring confuses me. I also have no spark on an 86 SVO and I've noticed one of my fuse links is not rectangular like every other, its round/egg shape and looks bubbled or melted. Where could I find replacements? Thanks

FEP Power Member

Fuse links are just a wire that acts like a fuse. You can buy them at most auto parts stores. They come in different sizes. They need to be spliced in at one end at least. A continuity check will verify the condition or use a volt meter.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles