Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 1984 project SVO

what up I just thought I would share my SVO project with you guys. I will start at the beginning and take you to current eventually. It might take a little while to do the whole thing so bare with me.

This is when I first got the car. It was going to be for my dad, but he never really got into it. Here are the first pics of the car. Original price $900

Had to chance the steering wheel right away

And so it starts!!!

Looks like a great starting point! Can't wait to see it completed!
    John

1986 SVO 1C
    1993 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post
    Looks like a great starting point! Can't wait to see it completed!
    you guys know they are never done!

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

No antenna. Comp prep/option delete car? Does it have roll up windows?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by stableboy View Post
    No antenna. Comp prep/option delete car? Does it have roll up windows?
    It had a antenna. The guy before me shaved it off and it does have power windows

What a great find for $900.
    Present cars.
    93 vert triple blk w 28k
    97 talon tsi

Previous four eyes
    1986 Mustang gt 5 spd
    1984 Capri 5.0 5 spd
    1984 Capri rs 5.0 5 spd
    1981 Capri 5.8 auto
    1979 Capri 5.0 auto

Congratulations !!

A steal for $900 IMO!! Great find and project!

I know you! I kinda miss my svo already have fun with it!

A steal for sure. Especially if that is a solid CA. car. I'll be following this one.

Congratulations, what a great score, keep us posted on your progress..
    IF ITS FORD POWERED YOU GOT TO LOVE IT

When I first got the car I thought the seat was loose then I found this under the carpet

had to fix that mess

no crap about the welds

The 86 cars ford started putting plates that went across both studs at the rear help correct the problem, am sure there was a recall on this problem. My car has one .
    IF ITS FORD POWERED YOU GOT TO LOVE IT

Great find,especially since all the SVO specific parts seem to be intact(wing,side spats,etc).
    86 SVO Boport stage 3 head,Turbonetics T-66,96lb/hr injectors,lots of BOOST!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Builder View Post
    The 86 cars ford started putting plates that went across both studs at the rear help correct the problem, am sure there was a recall on this problem. My car has one .
    They started this in 84, if you look at the pic closely you can see the plate on his. They still cracked if someone big sat in the seat.
    Kendal

So I was having a issue with this car when I first got it where it would not run good at all when it was cold. I put a lot of info out there on different sites and finally came up with weak valve springs as the issue. When it was cold and the oil was thicker it would hang the valves open, therefore not making compression and would sputter and die. When it would warm up a little and the oil would thin out, it would run better but not good. It was not a easy thing to solve. I really thought it was a wiring/ ignition issue but it wasnt. If any of you turbo guys have a doubt replace your valve springs. I used V8 explorer intake springs. I took the measurements and did the pressure tests on the springs and they seemed to be a good match for it.
    Being a drag racer and all I could leave well enought alone, so I ported the head and the intake and the E6 exhaust manifold that I added . Here are a few pics of when I had it apart. I also added head studs, just incase(drag racer mentality)

also add a ranger roller cam

and a esslinger adjustable cam gear so I can retard the cam

intake pic
    Last edited by quickerstang; 12-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.

I hate the rats nest that Ford calls the wiring harness, so I got rid of it. Here are some pics.
    before

during

now

hey buddy nice work
    gotta question single valve springs and where did you hide the harness at?
    all of it in the rh fennder well and where you located
    how about another pic from the driver side
    thanks
    Last edited by Alan B; 12-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    hey buddy nice work
    gotta question single valve springs and where did you hide the harness at?
    all of it in the rh fennder well and where you located
    how about another pic from the driver side
    thanks
    I am in California. They were single springs I think. I did tuck it all up in the fender and I have not finished the passenger side yet

Here is the head together

So I wanted a bigger intercooler and decided on the NPR. Here is a pic next to the stock radiator

I went with the supercoupe radiator and fan for cooling

for piping I went with stingers NPR/volvo kit

Great looking project! Keep it up!

FEP Member

Nice fab work !

Looks like you know to use things you have - noticed your welding of the tabs from the AC condenser to the top of the tank. You got it mounted!

My guess is that radiator is a vertical flow from an early style car (mopar?) you had laying around. Seems to fit nicely between the NPR.

Shroud will work as it should - my guess is you will want to run dedicated wires and switches so you can cool down when you want to (not the temp switch)!

Mark
    P.S. Remember to extend the STAR test connector to a location you can access if you are going to need it with the ECC IV for baseline testing or trouble shooting. (My guess is YOU PLAN improvements over this eventually - so it may be moot)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas View Post
    Nice fab work !

Looks like you know to use things you have - noticed your welding of the tabs from the AC condenser to the top of the tank. You got it mounted!

My guess is that radiator is a vertical flow from an early style car (mopar?) you had laying around. Seems to fit nicely between the NPR.

Shroud will work as it should - my guess is you will want to run dedicated wires and switches so you can cool down when you want to (not the temp switch)!

Mark
    P.S. Remember to extend the STAR test connector to a location you can access if you are going to need it with the ECC IV for baseline testing or trouble shooting. (My guess is YOU PLAN improvements over this eventually - so it may be moot)
    the radiator is out of a thunderbird supercoupe and I dont really need the star . I run the moates quarterhorse for tuning and datalogging

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast