Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '78-79 Fairmont/Zephyr ES

Anyone have or know someone who has an ES? Or even KNOW OF one? I can find almost nothing online. I mean, I can find plenty of factory brochures and advertisements, thanks to Stuart's Fairmont Page and others, but no owners. I found a few pictures of another silver Zephyr ES in awful shape that was up for auction, but no idea what happened to it after that. Other than that, just old pictures where i would try and contact the owner, but no luck. Apparently there were 2-doors and 4-doors. I've never seen a picture of a 4-door or even a Fairmont ES outside of brochures. I'd love to talk to someone who has one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Saw one in a salvage yard.

It was a tan/black two door (like in that ad). Chamois colored seats, black carpet, chamois colored dash, door panels were the economy style, not the wrap over like on the mustangs and more fancy optioned Fairmonts/Zephyrs. Had the vents on the back 1/4 windows too. Was a V8.

Looked like somebody/something landed on the roof.... hard. Other than that, it looked like somebody took care of it very well... had low miles too.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

RacinNdrummin ( http://vb.foureyedpride.com/member.php?u=8517 ) has/had one, but I was seeing it for sale on Craigslist locally a few months ago. Try contacting them, and they may be able to provide some information. Their car was a project, but the body looked pretty good, and it came with lots of parts for what looked like a reasonable price. Good luck!
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

They were rare 30 years ago.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Thanks all. Interesting stuff about the one in the salvage yard. Seems like there was plenty of inconsistency to them. For example, mine didn't have the matte black lower body or the engine-turned interior trim. Mine had woodgrain.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That might have been the Quality control they were doing back then....

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks all. Interesting stuff about the one in the salvage yard. Seems like there was plenty of inconsistency to them. For example, mine didn't have the matte black lower body or the engine-turned interior trim. Mine had woodgrain.
    Actually quality control on the FZ was not too bad. Keep in mind that the car you saw was 30+ years old and some of those 'inconsistencies' may have been do to people changing the car during those 30+ years.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Bump!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Saw one in person for sale 2 years ago local. I posted it here, but no one bit. It ended up selling to a kid who is driving it back and forth to college. It was a '78 Zephyr, tan color in and out, black accents and carpet, 302/auto, A/C, cruise, low mileage. it was a really clean car, just had a little boo boo behind the back bumper. I wish I could have kept track of it.

Sweet! I looked up the thread, but the pics have been taken down. Do you still have them? I know it wasn't you that posted them, but thought you might have some anyway. I always like to see what "spotting features" are actually present. Crazy that it was a V8 car too!

It's pretty much the same thing that always happens to me with my ES search. I miss it by a couple of years.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

RacinNDrummin's thread had tons of pictures.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=racinndrummin
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Quote Originally Posted by waggin View Post
    RacinNDrummin's thread had tons of pictures.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=racinndrummin
    Oh yeah, i've been there too!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thought I would add some more info to this post to sort of gather everything we know about them in one place.

Here's the page from the '79 Zephyr brochure:

'79 Fairmont press photo. You can note the differences with the regular 4-door below the ES 2-door:

Another photo from a Zephyr brochure:

I think I got this from Stuart's Fairmont page. Clearly from an ad or a brochure too:
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thought I'd add the pics of the cars I know of.

Found this car in a link to an estate auction. Clearly seen better days. It's got all the spotting features though!

The RacinNDrummin car. Beautiful example of a Fairmont ES. Notice the red interior and column shift.

This is from here on FEP too. Can't remember what the story was though.

This, I found on Facebook with no info on who or where, or anything. and is obviously highly modified. Who knows if that's even the original color. Sure looks like an ES to me though.

Another one from Facebook. May be a complete repaint with ES features added, who knows.

Spotted by a guy at a car show. Again, sure looks like one, but who knows.

This car is on Yellow Bullet. I'd have to join to ask him about it, but haven't yet. Don't really think I'd fit in there.

This is an owner I've actually talked to who just bought it. We are both on Ford Forums Online.

This 4-door popped up for sale. It was owned by a dealer in Hawaii trying to sell it. This is the first 4-door I've seen outside of brochures and ads! Notice the bench seat/column shift, but correct interior trim.

Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 10-27-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Dang, I guess I need to find a new place to host my images. Ran across another one though! Currently for sale!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-3995-163-Pics

Name:  Zephyr ES Cream 1.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  71.7 KB

Pretty stripped down for a car with a handling package. Must have been configured for pure performance!

ES spec dash trim not present!

rear sway bar and 6.75 rear accounted for!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-06-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: pics added
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Why in the world would they try to sell it with no carpet? It looks to be in pretty damn good condition (particularly if it's a New England car; I assume so, since they're in NH), but as soon as you open the door you see crappy bare floors? Strange.

A couple shots from the 1980 Fairmont sales brochure.
    Attachment 67693Attachment 67696
    Attachment 67695
    Last edited by gmatt; 02-03-2014 at 08:59 AM.

1980, huh? Wow, I thought they were done by then! With how prominently featured they were in the sales brochures (I have all the Zephyr ones), it's surprising they didn't sell more of them! Lot of good info there on what features were standard and stuff too! Thanks for posting!

Yeah, no carpet. They must not know that Mustang carpet fits or something. Considering what they have it for sale for, even $200 for brand new carpet from any number of places is a drop in the bucket to make it show that much better.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's another one that was on Craigslist in Wisconsin. I don't believe the ad is there anymore, so hopefully it was sold to someone who intends to fix it up right.

Also, I just had the pleasure of meeting this guy on Facebook. Looks like a really nice car! His father is the original owner! He says it's all factory original. I love that the truck wheels are intact!

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mike1157

Here I was thinkin' the ES stood for Extra Square all this time.

Or is it Exceedingly Stodgy?

Excessively Stale?

Endlessly Slow?

Even Steven?

Maybe you should've been a marketing guy.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mani wish new cars where under 5k.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Also, I just had the pleasure of meeting this guy on Facebook. Looks like a really nice car! His father is the original owner! He says it's all factory original.
    Well, except for the dual exhaust straight out the back.

I love that the truck wheels are intact!
    So what's the story on the wheels? The brochure pics don't show those, and the description just talks about the "argent turbine wheel covers." What are the "truck wheels," and I take it they were an option upgrade over the steel wheels with argent turbine wheel covers?

Haha, yeah I noticed that too. Looks just like my tailpipes.

But yeah, those wheels were optional. I think they were optional on all Fairmont/Zephyrs, as I've seen coupes with them too. And notice the last two pics from brochures in post #13 have them.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Anyone know how many were produced? How rare is the ES? Are there any numbers to look for to confirm an ES?
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast