Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

[QUOTE=quickerstang;1478978]What up guys, just thought I would share with you guys I got a 1985 T-Top Mustang Saleen today. I called saleen to verify the vin and it is real and made out of a GT. The car is in pieces right now, but they are all there. The guy got it from said that his pic is the actual car

I would not put a lot of weight in what the previous owner said, unless he is part of the original owner's family. Documentation is everything, and unfortunately severely lacking in the case of early Saleens. If it were me, I would lean toward the urethane. Very, very few had fiberglass. And, as Jason said, they are documented as such. It very easily could have come with a fiberglass air dam and low profile wing. Those who know Saleens well, know very well that there is no rule that applies to these cars. They used what was available at the time, so you never can be sure either way.

Quote Originally Posted by quickerstang View Post
    I got a little more done today after work. Baby steps!
    Nice progress. With some elbow grease and four cans later lots of great things can happen lol, are those Blue ribbons I see to the left of the car?
    Also, what is the deal with that front support bar?
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Nice progress. With some elbow grease and four cans later lots of great things can happen lol, are those Blue ribbons I see to the left of the car?
    Also, what is the deal with that front support bar?
    haha, those are diet pepsi, and that bumper was how it came from saleen

FEP Senior Member

Really, it doesn't matter what it came with if whats on it now isn't a 3 piece version of the proper 85 airdam.

Anybody got one for sale they wanna sell the guy to get his car back into proper shape?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Car in the picture is not a Big Wing car, and that is a urethene 3-piece airdamn. Once I get some time, I'll post a fiberglass airdamn for reference. You can tell them apart...and at this point - like was said - if you can find a 3-piece urethane to put back on the car, you'll be in great shape.

[QUOTE=flyintiger;1597771]
    Quote Originally Posted by quickerstang View Post
    What up guys, just thought I would share with you guys I got a 1985 T-Top Mustang Saleen today. I called saleen to verify the vin and it is real and made out of a GT. The car is in pieces right now, but they are all there. The guy got it from said that his pic is the actual car

I would not put a lot of weight in what the previous owner said, unless he is part of the original owner's family. Documentation is everything, and unfortunately severely lacking in the case of early Saleens. If it were me, I would lean toward the urethane. Very, very few had fiberglass. And, as Jason said, they are documented as such. It very easily could have come with a fiberglass air dam and low profile wing. Those who know Saleens well, know very well that there is no rule that applies to these cars. They used what was available at the time, so you never can be sure either way.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Here is a fiberglass dam

The two lower "openings" are actaully open. Also the face of the airdam is flat, and "bent" or slightly curved along the entire front of the car. In the eruthene as pictured above, the lower "openings" are closed off, and the face of the dam has two distinct verticle body lines to match the contour of the bumper across the face. Fiberglass damn also has two rivets on the side that hold it to the side extensions...urethene does not. Also look at the "chin" of both main damns....there is a clear distinction on how they turn out for the extra 1" of lip. The Fiberglass turns out at nearly a 90* angle while the urethene angles out more like a 45* angle.

Hopefully that all makes sense ;-)

BTW...I'm in know way trying to diss on you or the car. Just trying to help with what info I can :-) Love the progress and can't wait to see the completion some day!
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 11-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Here is a fiberglass dam

BTW...I'm in know way trying to diss on you or the car. Just trying to help with what info I can :-) Love the progress and can't wait to see the completion some day!
    I dont take it that way ay all. I like all of the info that I can get. I want that airdam

I can ask, but I'm pretty sure the two guys that have them here in Indy for their restoration projects will never part with them ;-)
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomswheels View Post
    I have a nos Air Cleaner lid I want to donate to this project!
    That is very nice of you! I love it when people help like this!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Come on now....it's winter time for us here in the rust-belt. Give us some reading material...any updates? ;-)
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Come on now....it's winter time for us here in the rust-belt. Give us some reading material...any updates? ;-)
    I gave up for now. Just have no intrest anymore

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678