Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Awesome find! Looking forward to watching it come back! How did it end up in that state? The bare metal under the hood looks like a fire and then they started prepping for paint?
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

FEP Senior Member

Also, what in Gods name is going on with that front bumper support???

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsoncat View Post
    Awesome find! Looking forward to watching it come back! How did it end up in that state? The bare metal under the hood looks like a fire and then they started prepping for paint?
    no fire, it was being prepped for paint then the owner of the body shop got hooked on coke and left the car like that
    Also, what in Gods name is going on with that front bumper support???
    That is supposed to be a option to save weight in the front from saleen and it has a aluminum rear bumper also

Quote Originally Posted by quickerstang View Post
    That is supposed to be a option to save weight in the front from saleen and it has a aluminum rear bumper also
    Interesting..... I have done a lot of reading on the 85-86 cars and never have heard of that option. Where did you find that it was an option?

Did you get the rear wing with the car? If so it is a big wing?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Interesting..... I have done a lot of reading on the 85-86 cars and never have heard of that option. Where did you find that it was an option?

Did you get the rear wing with the car? If so it is a big wing?
    I got it from my friend who is friends with the guy who originally ordered the car and yes it is a big wing and I have it

Fantastic find Can't wait to see the restoration process
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

Would be a neat car to do.......................
    Mike

85 saleen 014 1st Red Saleen and 7th car built..
    86 Saleen 199 Black
    86 Saleen 200 Black Convertible

Black isn't a color it's a Statement

I'm glad to see another one is going to be saved. Good luck with it and looking forward to updates.

So I was looking through the car a little bit today and found at least one of the factory headers and a t-5, spats front trim pieces, 4 bell housings, and the back part of the side skirts for both sides which are useless. I also found a new leather motorsport shifter boot

Would it kill the value if I added some scott rod smooth inner fenders?

I definitely wouldn't do those kinds of mods, to answer your question yes it would kill the value. The value in '85/6 saleens is definitely being original. At most bolting on some parts that can be easily unbolted.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Yes it would kill the value...These cars need to be stock in everyway..the ones that sell and bring the most money are stock IE heads ,intake and cam does hurt resale ..Iknow someone who paid 13.500.00 for an 86 did all of the above and could not sell the car for 9k..There are alot of Gt's to modify and beat the crap out of it .. inmo
    Mike

85 saleen 014 1st Red Saleen and 7th car built..
    86 Saleen 199 Black
    86 Saleen 200 Black Convertible

Black isn't a color it's a Statement

ok, I just hate all the swiss cheese

I love the fact you found and are saving this one, I just found and bought 85#14 in Whittier last year, amazing they stayed in LA all that time. Just one mans opinion, but I've never heard of any lightened bumper supports for Early Saleens, it goes against Saleens business principle of using essentially bolt-on parts and making them with as little labor as possible. Being a T-top car, I'd recommend doing it right and being patient, start putting out feelers now for a correct three piece front spoiler!
    Former 4eyes:
    86 Saleen #25
    85 Saleen #14
    79 Turbo Capri (first car)

Quote Originally Posted by tomswheels View Post
    I love the fact you found and are saving this one, I just found and bought 85#14 in Whittier last year, amazing they stayed in LA all that time. Just one mans opinion, but I've never heard of any lightened bumper supports for Early Saleens, it goes against Saleens business principle of using essentially bolt-on parts and making them with as little labor as possible. Being a T-top car, I'd recommend doing it right and being patient, start putting out feelers now for a correct three piece front spoiler!
    I have the spoiler it is brand new I will take some pics when I get a chance, and that tubular bumper support is tig welded chromoly and pretty bad ass

Default Cherry pie

I do not like painting my car with out the tu tone since its on the tag but i guess thats the way it is. And i do not like that it has a funroof put on the car and i do not like the original non performance exhaust and carb and intake and brakes and rear end and on and on. I am really thinking t tops on mine as it has a funroof. But it would be easy to patch it and go solid like it was new. But the cars are worth the most totaly stock and that sux as these cars are great when modded. So i guess i will stick with solid roof on mine and not mess with the integral structure of the roof frame work from the factory other than has been messed with now and i will put all that was hurt back in the roof as i have a parts roof already to go .and keep the body stock and keep all the stock upper end components fresh and ready to travel with car if it sells. But i have to have some engine mods to make the car scoot a bit. But i will keep the car a wrench turn away from killer stock again. I had plans to make this car look like a track whore saleen. But it seems wise to keep it as close to stock as possible as these cars will bring big money down the road, even though we have many claims that foxbodys won't and that is not right. The saleens and predators will be money cars in the not to distant future. This i am very sure of. Grab them now as they will be getting much harder to get real soon. As we have seen the interest in these cars really start to climb lately. this is another great purchase and you can see the large responce to this thread and that in itself shows the direction we are headed with these cars value wise. mike charles and others are right. as close to stock is the way to go and we have or can get a gt to beat down on and hang smooth parts on. very good opinions. and as for me i have a predator that i am running pretty nasty with. live and learn daily. my other predator will be bone stock as well. the time is near and we are at the right time to watch it unfold very soon. even if we have cars that are not low mile or matching numbers we can still get 25 k if the best are getiing 50 k and that makes it worth sticking with close to stock and dont be surprized when the day comes that you hear a saleen brought 50 k or somewhere near that and bam we will be at the start of a mad dash to fix all the not so good ones and trying to find them as well. so get em now or pay hard later. wish i had some extra cash now as i would like to own at least 3 more.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

FEP Senior Member

New air dam, drool. Original wing drool. That bumper though. I don't believe a manufacturer could alter the safety equipment of a car and keep it street legal. I would guess its been added, although it looks like a nicely constructed piece.

New air dam, drool. Original wing drool. That bumper though. I don't believe a manufacturer could alter the safety equipment of a car and keep it street legal. I would guess its been added, although it looks like a nicely constructed piece.
    I was told it was installed by Saleen. The car was supposed to be built at his house before he had the shop. That is the rumor

Quote Originally Posted by quickerstang View Post
    I was told it was installed by Saleen. The car was supposed to be built at his house before he had the shop. That is the rumor
    Interesting! I would get in touch with Saleen and get some real documentation. Maybe find someone on soec or scoa that has ties with steve to verify this before the restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by airplanedriver View Post
    Interesting! I would get in touch with Saleen and get some real documentation. Maybe find someone on soec or scoa that has ties with steve to verify this before the restoration.
    I am waiting for a email back from them

Buck tag yet ?
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    Buck tag yet ?
    there is none on the front and the door just has a sticker

A pic of the door sticker would do.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    A pic of the door sticker would do.
    I will take one today

is this what you guys are talking about?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast