Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well, the only interior mods I've done so far are change out the stock cruise (cruise was removed from carb anyway) steering wheel for the wheel I got from a girlfriend back in 1984 that was on my 81 Mustang and later my 86 Celica.

What i really want is to change the steering spline or column so I can put my 78 sport wheel (similar to the 79-82 sport wheel) in my 85...........

And I changed out the radio with this $17.49 close out special so I can stiill play cassette's or plug in my MP3 player.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Nice!! And budget friendly too, that is cool.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

So far , my only mods are the white face SVO gauges, a clearance CD player that I got for $49 with two door speakers so I could play my iPod ( even though I hardly ever turn the radio on Lol) and the LMR SVE short throw shifter. Future plans include incorporating speaker grills into the door panels, shift light, coolant gauge where info center is in console, vacuum/boost gauge and some sort of cup holder(s) and different console pad.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Redid mine from the vomit red wine color to black leatherette, complete with new carpet and headliner

Very nice Clownyj

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by clownyj View Post
    Redid mine from the vomit red wine color to black leatherette, complete with new carpet and headliner

Was the original color red? In the pic it looks green? Either way the black looks nice, but I would have kept that red/green interior. It's so 70's/80's that it's awesome. Don't get me wrong, the black looks great and you did a fantastic job with it, but I'm a sucker for colors that you don't see any more.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Attachment 79011

I took a cluster apart, added SVO speedo, white faces and painted the surrounding plastic Sonic Blue Pearl. Was going to be the body color of a future project. Paint yours body colot or a contrasting color.

Attachment 79012
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

My current mods on my Zephyr are white faced overlays, 140 mph speedo, volt and vacuum indicators in information center on console. Saleen emblem in steering wheel.
    Color matched speaker covers on doors, genuine imitation carbon fiber trim by radio and shifter.
    Pretty low buck as a lot of it was cleaning and spray painting old parts.

I like it Ukravit, especially the Saleen horn button. I also love that your car has a blue interior. Got anymore pics?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Here is a side view. you can see the amp equalizer from a 86 Cougar , the turbo coupe seats and dash mat. I try to keep any parts to 1986 or earlier to keep that early 80s feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Here is a side view. you can see the amp equalizer from a 86 Cougar , the turbo coupe seats and dash mat. I try to keep any parts to 1986 or earlier to keep that early 80s feel.
    Are those seats from a thunderbird?
    If so can you take a few more for me I am looking to do the same swap?
    Last edited by Mousemate; 12-30-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

Wow guys, nice work!! Everything looks so good! I am thinking of adding temp gauge into my info center. Maybe even oil pressure. My temp gauge works wonky and makes me Leary to trust oil pressure gauge because of that. But I like the factory gauges and hate to have them sitting there dead.

--Bill

What do you guys use to repair damaged screw holes where the dash attaches along the base of the windshield on an 85 Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    That looks awesome, I love the blue and all the period correct additions. Very well done!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    What do you guys use to repair damaged screw holes where the dash attaches along the base of the windshield on an 85 Mustang?
    I just leave them alone. They really don't do much as far as holding the pad down, actually I don't think I've ever put screws in those holes cause I'm scared I will damage them. I just do the holes up front and call it a day. My dash pad has never popped off and nobody has ever noticed that those holes don't have screws.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    I haven't done this to my Ghia, but an old woodworking trick is to use a toothpick to help give the screw a little more "bite" when tightening. Since the dash pad is an interior item, you wouldn't have to worry much about moisture getting in there, either.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Those SVO seats look like Mark VII seats with open head rests.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Default 79-86 Interior Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I just leave them alone. They really don't do much as far as holding the pad down, actually I don't think I've ever put screws in those holes cause I'm scared I will damage them. I just do the holes up front and call it a day. My dash pad has never popped off and nobody has ever noticed that those holes don't have screws.
    I would agree. But if it really bugs you, they do make coned shaped washers that you can sometimes use to make the head of the screw larger It will work if the holes in the dash pad are just slightly larger then the screw head.

--Bill

Just wanted to post up a shot of my gauges.

Anyone else have some cool interior mods to post up?

--Bill

Replaced the stock gauges with Autometers mounted in the factory housing. Added an oil temp gauge in the cluster and put the volts gauge on the console; added four rocker switches to the console for fogs-on, fan-on, ABS-off, T/C off. Added a grab handle to the PS a-pillar. Added cruise to the stock GT non-cruise wheel. Wrapped the 86 wheel to match the interior. Wrapped the stock dash pad with deleted speaker-holes. Replaced the 86 vert quarter plastics with 93 plastics and had them wrapped to match the dash pad. Black 93 Vert seat belts. Recovered 87+ power door panels to match the interior (had the new cover wrap up to the window same as the 86). Auto down front windows both sides. Recaro LS-Cs with both netted and standard headrests with 01 mustang factory power lumbar. 93 top frame with headliner. Wrapped factory console arm-rest (matches the steering wheel). SVO leather wrapped e-brake handle. 01 Cobra e-brake boot; custom shifter boot. Custom wrapped sun visors (matches steering wheel, seats and arm rest). Auto dim/compass rear view mirror. Custom cover for the 4-point roll bar. Rear seat delete with subs and amps.

Some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by qtrracer; 04-23-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add pics

Since the interior of my Vaquero notch is a bit rough, I'm thinking about customising it a little bit. It must remain in the late 70's early 80's style to look right (mixing styles rarely work).

I would cover the fake wood trim with a dark or black brushed aluminium covering, as well as the black trim pieces of the center console.
    I'd redo the seats with a custom design, but keeping the personality of the original covers. As for the fabrics : black leather/vinyl on the sides and black perforated suede in the center sections instead of the grey cloth that looks out of place. I'd add some foam thickness under the knee area for additional confort.
    Make a shifter boot in leather and maybe replace or cover in leather the shifter knob and handbrake handles.
    The carpet is trash but will be replaced with a Ghia carpet that will be dyed to look like new.

I would have prefered a colored interior since I think black interiors are booooooring, but I gotta do with what I have. And I could make it look neat and period correct using the right materials, playing with textures instead of colors.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 03-08-2016 at 08:47 AM.

FEP Senior Member

These are my original door panels (this is a Mexican car), which have faux wood inserts with the round pony badge, which I donīt recall ever seeing in an American car.

Donīt know if OP is looking for "classic" old wood look, but I think they do their job of dressing the interior quite well. And the Pony badges definitely help in the Mustang identity department, since Fox Mustangs from 83 till 93 totally lost their running horse badges...

I don't think I've ever seen a mustang with the wood on the doors either. My Zephyr has matching wood on the doors so I know some Fox cars got it, but not sure I've every seen it on a mustang. Cool pic!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast