Close

Default Strut Sleeve/Covers

I have a new set of struts that I am about to install on my 84 GT Turbo. The old sleeves or covers on my old struts are in bad shape. This is the piece that sits over the top of the struts and comes down over the side to protect them from the elements. My new struts did not come with replacements. I have searched all around and cannot find replacements so my question is, do people just not put them over the new struts or do they just reuse the old? I知 not sure what the proper name is so that might prevent me from finding what I知 looking for as well.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

can you pull them from the yard? Might be able to find another car that has the covers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by bosanjo View Post
    can you pull them from the yard? Might be able to find another car that has the covers you need.
    Yah I thought about that. What years would work? One of mine is in good shape but the other has gashes in it. Does anyone sell new ones?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Not too sure about what years to look for but unless I'm confused I have seen some aftermarket "unversal" covers. If I find what I'm talking about I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by bosanjo View Post
    Not too sure about what years to look for but unless I'm confused I have seen some aftermarket "unversal" covers. If I find what I'm talking about I'll let you know.
    Thanks

Ok I finally did enough searching to find out what they are called, dust covers, or dust boots. I found some on e-bay. My question now is, are the necessary?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Found them!!!
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/suspension-...=d633y1984g7j1

Would still like to know if they are necessary?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I would not feel bad about putting them on. If there is the slightest chance of getting fine particles along the shaft, it reduces life of the shock in some cases. But that takes a lot. I'm surprised that your new shocks didn't have them. For old shocks, I wouldn't put them on, it wouldn't be worth it. For new ones I would. Might as well, you are already pulling the shock it won't hurt anything but your wallet, slightly, and it will prevent possibility of binding.

Rockauto carries them as well..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Power Member

I have ran without since the mid-80's on several cars. Every so often, I do get to drop the struts to do other projects, and I have never noticed anything that would cause any concern.

I would not bother installing them unless you regularly drive on gravel roads or the beach.

Your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by rkuhn View Post
    I have a new set of struts that I am about to install on my 84 GT Turbo. The old sleeves or covers on my old struts are in bad shape. This is the piece that sits over the top of the struts and comes down over the side to protect them from the elements. My new struts did not come with replacements. I have searched all around and cannot find replacements so my question is, do people just not put them over the new struts or do they just reuse the old? I知 not sure what the proper name is so that might prevent me from finding what I知 looking for as well.
    I believe Ford called the part a Shock Assm. Mntg. kit / The Ford Motorcraft part # AD-221-A. Or the part number was E4ZZ-18A161-A . It is not necessary to have them. Although, It will most likely shorten the life of the strut/shock.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

If you dont mind me asking what strut did you go whith.I need struts to, mine are 26 years old original.When i hit a bump or pot hole they hit hard.I just dont know what to go whith.I put kyb on the back,I thought kyb on the front also. Just want to get it right the first time

Thanks guys for all the info. I actually located a set of old struts that still have them on and the person is going to give them to me so you can’t beat that price!!! He said the struts are shot but the covers are in good shape.

These are the struts I went with.
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...yb-Front-Strut
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Nice, glad to hear it worked out!