Close

FEP Member

Default Any help with 1980 Malibu HEI dist. issue?

Hoping somebody here can help me with this. I just bought a 1980 Malibu today from a title loan company here in town. I knew that it didn't run. They said they had a mechanic check it out and they were told it needed an ignition control module. I replaced that and it still doesn't run. I also swapped the coil out from the one on my 76 Jimmy and still nothing. I checked power to the coil with a test light at the terminal labeled bat and get no power. Checked all fuses and the tested good. Someone told me to hook the coil up to the positive side of the battery, that gets me power to the coil but still no start. Car is getting fuel you can smell it and see it in the carb. It turns over fine, doesn't sound out of time (if that makes since). I knocked my Jimmy out of time and it would turn over but then kind of lurch to a stop. Any ideas of what my next step should be? Obviously want to also know why I'm not getting power to the coil from the wire that normally runs to it. I believe it's peach colored.

FEP Member

Never mind. Got it fixed. The big pink wire to coil was not plugged in. Car is running.