Close

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Default 2002 Jeep Question

I know we have a lot of techs amongst us, so I have a fairly basic question. My wife has a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 4X4 with select trac (meaning you shift it into either 4WD Partime or 4WD Fulltime) normal driving is rear wheel only.
    I wanted to change the front axle fluid.
    Can you guys tell me if I have to also put friction modifier in the front like in the rear differential.
    sorry for the stupid question.
    I just don't know if they have the friction clutches in the front.

I'm also experiencing some gear "clunk" when I put it into part-time 4WD, I think in this mode, its mostly rear wheel drive until the rear starts to slip, then the front wheels engage, my guess anyway.

long shot question, but, worth a shot.

also, any idea of the type of front axle oil that I need? I'm assuming its like 75 weight gear oil, but, I'll confirm at the dealership.

I have an '04. "Part time 4x4" is for part time on road use. It locks the front and rear differential together, they don't recommend using it on dry roads, possibly why you are getting some noises. "Full time" is for full time use, when ever you want.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

thanks Jess, my wife wants to use it on wets roads, during heavy rains, is this okay? this car has so much power (V8 4.7L) that she is constantly breaking traction with the rear wheels, thats why she wants to put it in part-time 4wd. I told her to just stop being such a lead foot and take it easy when taking off from a stop. but you know how that goes...
    I should have just gotten her another Quadra-Trac All Wheel Drive All the Time Jeep. She never had that problem with those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    I have an '04. "Part time 4x4" is for part time on road use. It locks the front and rear differential together, they don't recommend using it on dry roads, possibly why you are getting some noises. "Full time" is for full time use, when ever you want.

Jess

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I just found that one earlier today...I didn't want to register on another forum to actually ask a question. I think my answer is in there. If its a LSD, you need friction modifier, 4 pints in the rear and 2.5 up front. I just need to confirm if my front has the slip clutches.
    Thanks Ed.