Close

Default Aod is it gone or just playing possume

I have a 1985 Ford AOD trans/behind a 302 small block this set up is installed in a 1983 Ford Fairmont Futura coupe

the problem with the transmission is
    when the car is sitting on jackstands I start the car-put the transmission in gear and the wheels turn -all gears and reverse.

When I put the car on the ground-start engine and put car in gear the car will not move until I push the rpm range way up,then the trans will engage but it will only move a short distance then stop --raise the rpm of the engine same thing.

I pulled the trans pan and it is absolutely clean no metal,no pieces of clutch etc-

is the trans shot or is it the TV is not tuned properly?

fluid is at the full level.

The on going AOD saga
    Today (2ct) I started the car let it warm up-put the shifter into reverse and the car backed up---back it out into the driveway-turned off the car and let it sit for approx 3 hours. Went back out,started the car,put the shifter into drive and drove it back into the garage..

I mean what the hell--the day before it would not move unless I raised the RPM up (way up) and then it would move a few feet and stop--then would catch and move a bit more then stop, all the time moving the rpm in the motor up.

I have no idea what happened over night (LOL) to make the damn transmission operate without raising the rpm level..

I am afraid to drive it as I have read without the TV adjusted it will burn the trans up---I am completely lost on this one.

Anybody have any ideas???? Could it be a bad TC or fluid pump or both???

One thing I have found out my power brake boast is leaking badly you can hear it when you push on the brake pedal--would that cause the trans to act up,,I know the vacuum leak is causing the engine to surge--?????
    Last edited by texasfairmont; 10-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.

probably just a little sticky if it sat a while, there is a tv cable adjustment video on you tube, shows how it was done at the factory, no special tools required, only took a few seconds(IIRC)
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Adjust the TV cable before you do anything, that is super important.
    The transmission cannot adjust it's pressure to operate without the TV cable.
    They say you can burn one up quick without it.

It could just be sticky.
    The pumps are sensitive on AODs as well.
    Never drain the converter on one unless you can fill it back up before running it.
    The pump will run dry and go out before it primes.

The booster diaphram being bad should not affect the AOD.

Good luck! Hope it frees up for you.

this AOD is a 1985 model and it does not have a cable it has a kickdown rod that goes from the TV lever on the tranny to the Carb hooks next to the throttle cable...

Quote Originally Posted by texasfairmont View Post
    this AOD is a 1985 model and it does not have a cable it has a kickdown rod that goes from the TV lever on the tranny to the Carb hooks next to the throttle cable...
    ok, if all else fails, just drive the **** out of it..........LOL
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

FEP Member

texasfairmont,

Here are a couple of articles about TV rod and/or cable setting. Note that you can burn up the trans in a minute if the adjustment is off...

http://www.becontrols.com/tvlinkage.htm

and

static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-431000.pdf

I used an AOD for quite a while by following the "approximate" method in the following URL without using a pressure gauge. It's a little risky but it kept me from frying the thing...

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

This set of instructions (note the rod type is listed near the end) assumes you have stock linkage at both ends - if not, this can cost you a trans. Lokar makes some pieces, and maybe Baumann if they are still doing it. Check Summit or Jegs - they can usually steer you correctly.

Good luck,

Tom

I guess the tranny is fried-it will not move in any gear-it will creep a few feet and stop and that is it-this is with the trans warmed up-full of fluid. I thought it could be the TC but I guess not...

that puts my getting the fairmont on the road-I have no money in the kitty to get the trans rebuilt...will just have to sit in the garage.... damn am I bummed out

FEP Member

texasfairmont,

Have you adjusted the TV rod according to the above instructions first? Don't try again unless you have...

Then if it still won't move, oh well....

Tom

Yup --followed instructions-still the same so I guess I have to figure something else out...I have been quoted up to 1400 to rebuild the trans-can't afford anything close to that....

tried the adjustments again-now the transmission will move the car forward in all gear and reverse-but the rpm still has to be raised to move it in reverse-I still believe it is the torque converter or the front pump or maybe both--who knows. The aod is a 1985 and had been sitting for at least 13 years --when I took the pan apart there was NO junk of any kind no metal shavings-paper etc...I just wonder if the inside of the transmission is gummed up after sitting for so long. Anyway,I was looking at a 5 speed but the guy who had it sold it..

As a last resort I do have a C4 out of a 1968 ford truck it has the large bellhousing and I believe the flexplate out of the AOD will fit--don't know about the C4 torque converter fitting the flexplate..anybody have any ideas at all--my budget is shot -so I guess I will have to someway make one of these two transmissions work...thanks to all for all the suggestions and help --I really appreciate it..

Texas Fairmont
    Mike

The large bell (164-tooth) C4 converter should fit the AOD flexplate just fine. All Fox C4s
    used the large bell and 164-tooth flexplate. Although those were still case-fill, they used
    the same converter as the "pan fill" truck C4.

What won't work is the C4 kickdown linkage, if your carb is set up for the AOD TV rod.
    The two work completely differently. And of course, you'll need to run a vacuum line for
    the modulator valve.
    Last edited by JACook; 11-04-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

It does kinda sound like a TC but proper testing should be done.
    First thing is first, a line pressure test should be done to make sure the pump is working.
    I am not sure if you can test the pressures of each clutch though. I would think if the pump pressure is good in all gears, the TC could be at fault or possibly the input shaft.
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

The pump should make noise when it is going out.

When an AOD sits long term, stuff freezes up.
    The reverse servo is probably not moving fully/freely.
    Don't push it until you get it loosened up, I imagine you can burn up the tranny by using reverse in a slipping state.

I doubt very seriously it is the converter if you are only missing reverse.

Reverse slips very badly, it will move if the rpm is raised but will stop after about 4 or 5 feet. the forward gears will move the car (all forward gears) but they are slipping some as well. I did the TV adjust two times and still the same result...

JA Cook,
    on the C4 trans the TC does it have the same spline needed to make this work with the 1985 Ford 302??

Spline doesn't matter.
    The TC will not swap between a C4 and A0D.

You will need a C4 (and matching converter) that has the proper bellhousing to work with your flexplate.

There are 2 types, a small 157 tooth flexplate, and a larger 164t flexplate.
    I believe the A0D is a 164t, so you need to find the C4 with that bell so the starter will line up with the flexplate.

If you find a small flexplate C4 that you just have to have, then you can swap to the smaller flexplate, but then you need to watch your balance weight. Old 302s, and non-HOs used 28oz balance, while HOs, and late 302s used 50oz balancer/flexplate.

Starters swap between the bells. The bell just lines the starter up to fit a given flexplate.

I hope this helps.