Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Everyone seems to be using those wheels on their foxes now, but they sure do look good on them.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Wheels look great, now the car just needs a lowered stance to finish things off. Let's see pics of the sportsroof...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Congrats on the 82 T-top, looks like you have your work cut out for you. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Pace cars and 82Gt I can stare at all day. Great find!

Good progress. I like the choice of new rims....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Thanks Y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Wheels look great, now the car just needs a lowered stance to finish things off. Let's see pics of the sportsroof...
    I have brand new Ford Racing lowering springs that I had bought when I bought the wheels to put on my other '82 right before I wrecked it. Not sure which Sportsroof you were referring to, but I assume you mean the Mustang. I'll try to find some pics to post. If you meant the Torino, then here is a thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Pace cars and 82Gt I can stare at all day. Great find!
    I know the feeling!
    Chris

Had
    Too many that I wish I'd kept!

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    82 GT T-top (a new beginning) Rebuild Thread
    71 Torino GT

I love the wheel choice!

I'm really impressed by how easy you make it, as well as others on this site, look to start with a mess, then turn these long forgotten cars into works of machinery art. I'm too chicken to do that, although, I have had a few Mustangs since I was 19 years old. I have never turned any coals into gems. My dream is to turn my early model 83Gt into an 82Gt. I believe I almost have all I need minus the fender extensions. Looking forward to seeing further progress on this car, sorry about the other one, but I'm sure you are excited with your progress thus far.

I'm really impressed by how easy you make it, as well as others on this site, look to start with a mess, then turn these long forgotten cars into works of machinery art. I'm too chicken to do that, although, I have had a few Mustangs since I was 19 years old. I have never turned any coals into gems.
    Well, I hope she'll be a gem eventually..... hard to find time to polish.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I have a thread of the Torino Sportsroof here.

And here are a couple of the Mustang Sportsroof.
    Name:  70 FB (7).JPG
Views: 264
Size:  151.3 KBName:  70 FB.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  154.3 KB
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

I love that 70, so it's not a Mach? Looks pretty good man! I'm partial to the 69 nose and 70 back end.

Some nice cars you got there. you are giving me inspiration for my project. If I get back this summer, I'd be down for stopping by sometime and helping you out.

I love that 70, so it's not a Mach? Looks pretty good man! I'm partial to the 69 nose and 70 back end.
    I like the '69 noses better myself. I actually have a complete '69 front end and quarter scoops, and I was gonna make a '69 clone. Beside the vin, the switch being on the column would've been the only indication it was actually a '70 ('69 switches were on the lower dash). I didn't have the heart to do that though, because these cars are getting so hard to find.(unless you want a fully restored one with a $25-40K price tag). I'm probably gonna sell the '70 and try to find me a '69.

Quote Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
    Some nice cars you got there. you are giving me inspiration for my project. If I get back this summer, I'd be down for stopping by sometime and helping you out.
    Come on. I'll probably need a good sanding arm.
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

Hey y'all, hope I'm not forgotten. I'm still around. My resto has been on pause. Life gets real busy, real fast. I've been balancing real life along with building my own house. Good news is, that I'm almost done, and will then have a garage to work on the '82 in. Tile, hardwood, countertops, and finish plumbing is all I like. Then we'll try to get this show back on the road.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

The single garage will be the wifes, and the double will be mine.

I guess my 1st order of business, since the car is already gutted, will be the subframe connectors, and floor pans. I'm thinking, raise the car, but keep the weight on all for wheels. Then do the subframe connectors, then do the floor pans. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by 82stangracer; 12-07-2018 at 03:01 AM.
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

Congrats on the new house. I completely understand how much time and energy that takes to accomplish. Looks great by the way!

In regards to your floor pan/subframe connector install. I know that Dave did what you are thinking with his project Booger. Although his was a shell and not a complete car nor rolling chassis. I personally have concerns with doing the SFC with the floor out of the vehicle since that is such a large section of sheet metal that helps tie the front and rear structures together. I have the same dilemma with my 82 RS T-top car as I need to put a floor in it also. I have considered installing the SFC first, then cutting out the floor and replacing it. Unfortunately I don't have the extra time right now to work on it, but I am hoping in the near future to tackle it.

Oh, also since replacing the floor is much easier with the engine/trans out of the car, if you do the SFC at that time, you want to support the uni-body at 3 points when doing the SFC. The best method for the Fox is to place one support directly under the K member up front and then 2 supports at the rear either under the axle on either side if still in the vehicle or on the frame rails/torque boxes out of the way of where your SFC need to go. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Wraith, and yes, I was thinking that the current pan could help maintain current structure while I did the subframe connectors, and then they could help stabilize things while I do the pans. So, I'm trying to understand why just 1 support under the K member, instead of each side up front?
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

Quote Originally Posted by 82stangracer View Post
    So, I'm trying to understand why just 1 support under the K member, instead of each side up front?
    Think of triangulation. With three points of contact you are less likely to get a twist in the frame due to one side being uneven or not level. You can use two jack stands up front, but you want both of them as close together as possible at the center of the K member.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ah, Ok gotcha. Well since twisting is the primary concern, what do you think about this. What if I had the shell supported only by the subframe, and had all 4 points supported, and sitting exactly level. I don't know. In my mind, that seems like it would be more true, than sitting on the back axle. And if the car already had a little twist in it, then that could straighten things out before I welded, right?
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

Quote Originally Posted by 82stangracer View Post
    Ah, Ok gotcha. Well since twisting is the primary concern, what do you think about this. What if I had the shell supported only by the subframe, and had all 4 points supported, and sitting exactly level. I don't know. In my mind, that seems like it would be more true, than sitting on the back axle. And if the car already had a little twist in it, then that could straighten things out before I welded, right?
    I am sure it would work. I stated above you could have the rear stands under the axle or on the frame rails depending on where you are at. The Three Point method I described above was actually recommended by Jack Hidley of Maximum Motorsports, so if anything that is the Manufacturer Recommendation.

I have done the install on several cars and done it almost every way imaginable and can't really say I have ever had an issue either way. YRMV My 82 RS will be stripped completely when I install the SFC and the floor, including doors removed so my plan is the 3 point method with my rear stands most likely under the frame rails @ where the rear suspension rubber bumpers are in the wheel wells. That gives me plenty of room to maneuver and fit the SFC with the stands getting in the way. I have enough extra jack stands to still be able to support the car and have 2 stand per SFC. That is essentially the way I did the SFC install in Erratic50's Saleen Clone. Fitted everything and tacked everything in well. Then moved the car to the lift and finished welding with the full weight of the car sitting directly on the SFC. Obviously having a lift helps a ton and makes it easier. I did the same basic install on my 82 GT back home in Colorado, but once I had everything welded solidly into the body, I used my Rolltissiere to roll the car on its side and finish welding everything to lessen out of position welding and all the wonderful burns from welding over head.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ok cool. After we move the single wide we're living in now, I'm hoping to build a shop there, since that spot already has power, water, and septic. And will put a lift in it, but that will probably be a ways down the road. I'd like to have one of those Rolltissiere. Where did you get yours? Or where do you recommend?
    Chris

Had

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    71 Torino GT

A lot of work man, happy building Wheels look perfect

Yes, looking forward to seeing the progress resume on your 82 as I love the 82 GT! It is my favourite all time mustang!
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12