Close

Default Troubleshooting Fuel Pump

So I finally have been able to get my '86 on a flat bed and bring it up here to Hampton Roads this last weekend. First a little history, the car has never been on the street the entire time I have had it, though when I first got it about four years ago the original pump was bad so I replaced it with a Walbro GSS242 (190LPH). I would periodically go to the storage unit, or someone for me, to start it and let it run around ten minutes before. This happened at least once a month, but typically more since I swapped the pump to the Walbro GSS242. I always added a little fresh gas and used fuel stabilizer periodically.

When I started it to get it up on the flat bed, it started just like it always did. The engine, having 225k on the odometer, makes it somewhat hard starting, but no more trouble than it normally gave in the past. So I did the trip on this past Monday in a sitting, having it covered the entire time on the flat bed, and ensuring it was strapped down tightly.

Last night, when I tried to start it to get it off the flat bed, there was no whirl sound of the pump priming with KOEO, although the fuel pump relay noticeably clicked on without hesitation, is only a couple of years old itself and an OEM Ford replacement.

So, despite this pump being practically new with no road miles on it, it won't start. About the only thing I haven't checked is the fuel reset module in the hatch, wondering if the vibration from the trip perhaps killed the pump, tripped the module or was the gas too broken down to it's base and starting it the last time basically tore it up on the inside.

Any ideas or things I should try to determine what I should do before I drop this tank and spend a lot on a Walbro GSS430 (255lph)?

EDIT: I tried resetting the inertia switch today and it didn't do anything.
    Last edited by 86GTdriver; 10-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

There are several things that can affect whether the FP runs or not. If you can hear the fuel pump relay (FPR) energizing (clicking) you could still have failed relay. You could also be mistaking the FPR energizing for the EEC relay which also will energize when the ignition switch is turned ON.

The first thing I would try is to bypass the FPR. Locate the FPR under the driver seat and remove the FPR from its socket. Connect a jumper wire between the contacts for the YEL and PNK/BLK. This will connect the FP directly to the battery and the FP should run (key doesnt even have to be in the ignition). Try that and let us know.

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 10-24-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Not to bring up an old thread, but where is the inertia switch???
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

On an 86 SVO
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe