Close

Unhappy 83 gt clutch malfunction/slipping?

Here lately, the clutc in my 86 has had some issues. Every now and again ill push the pedal in shifting from ANY gear, and it just makes a loud pop and goes to the floor. And sometimes when it does that it wont come back up when i release pressure on it but it normally does. I have to pull it back up with my foot.Could this be an adjustment issue? Its happening more and more and its awful on the interstste. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by icanhasmustang83; 10-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Could be the clutch quadrant broken?

Sound like the quadrant or pawl is loosing teeth. The quick answer would be a aftermarket quadrant and fire wall adjuster but I never had problem with the stock stuff.

Sounds like the quadrant to me too. Replace it before it leaves you with nothing one of these days. At least yours is giving you a warning. Sometimes the first time they do this they cease functioning entirely.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

So what kinda mechanical knowhow would it take to fix? And how much much money?

The job it's self not to bad, getting to it is another story. I usually pull the front seat so I can lay on my back and look under dash. Pulling the front seat may not be necessary but at 6-2, 240 its the only way I can fit.

Don't know prices or availability for stock stuff. For aftermarket pic a seller and price it out, I would guess under 70 to 100 for a quadrant and firewall adjuster.

you guys rock. it was the quadrant. i looked up at itand almost all the teeth are sheered right off. thanks for that link Johnny, but a guy i work with has all the parts i need. it broke on the way home from charlotte. i was stuck on the side of the road for about 2 hrs. oh well. it happens. i cant figure out how to post pics from my computer, any help with that?