Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Started calling engine shops today.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Started email conversation with one of the engine shops. They've rebuilt many 2.3Ls in the past and are currently working on an off-road engine for one customer who has a Ranger. I've explained my plans and asked for some input. This could get interesting.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 12-16-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Engine shop is writing some estimates for me. Should have options on the different build-ups and associated costs. We talked at length regarding how I will use the car. He has an understanding of what I want to do and I gave him an estimated range of what my budget currently is and what it can be, if needed, depending on the build I want.

The engine build could begin as early as next month when I return from my EEG evaluation in Seattle. I'm getting excited about this project. It's almost happening.
    Build Thread

nice stang iv all ways liked that body st . i have a 81 ttop coupe was a 2300 /4 speed man trans . i swap in a 302 out of a 86 gt . good luck with your project .

Thought the background looked familiar. Nice to see another Treasure Valley resident.

Good looking notch BTW, there's a couple 2.3t cars in both the Nampa and Caldwell Jalopy Jungles. Were complete last I looked too. If you wanted to get crazy and all.

Off topic: You don't happen to frequent Oil Burners do you?

EricW, hello to you, too. Haven't been to Oil Burners. Don't know what / where that is. Working the late shift prevents me from getting out into the public most days.

There's another guy (Joshua McGehee) in the area, too. Met him this past summer at one of the Treasure Valley Mustang and Ford Club (TVMFC) shows. We were gonna hit the JYs, but like I said, my schedule and his haven't matched up yet.

I sent in my membership application to TVMFC, but they haven't processed it yet. 10% discount is worth the cost of membership, IMHO.

Did you happen to notice the color of those 2.3Ts? I've been looking for a Vaquero (FZ) carpet and headliner for my sunroof car. Not an easy color to find, but I'm still looking.

I'll be out of state next week, but if you want to get together and hit the JYs (I haven't been to the one in Caldwell, yet) one of these days, let me know. An extra pair of hands and eyes is always helpful and appreciated.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 05-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Build Thread

Oilburners.net, its a diesel forum. There's a member over there with a screen name very similar to yours.

The two 2.3t cars were Turbo Coupes if memory serves so IDK if the interior parts would swap..

I work only a couple days a week as of now, so picking yards is easy as setting up a time...

Might have to look into that Mustang club my dad and I have a 67 coupe and a 65 sports roof.

Yeah, that Mustang club seems pretty decent. I figure I'll give a year's membership to check them out. The retail discount is a huge incentive to be a member, IMHO.

Setting up a time to pick yards just got easier for me. I got laid off tonight. Can't do anything about that now. After I come back after the testing, the family and I are gonna have to have a financial discussion. Things could get tight quick. I did not need this right now.

Enough whining. One thing at a time. Gotta get past next week first. Then I'll deal with the job situation.
    Build Thread

FEP Supporter

Any recent updates Craig? I'm anxious to see how it is coming along!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Not much, other than what I posted in the other threads. Unemployment has taken its toll on my finances. Project fund is almost gone, being used for living expenses.
    Build Thread

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    Not much, other than what I posted in the other threads. Unemployment has taken its toll on my finances. Project fund is almost gone, being used for living expenses.
    Sorry to hear that! Hang in there - if you are ever in a situation where yon need food. PM me, I can't do much but I will help. God bless!
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 07-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Thanks for the encouraging words. We're heading over to my friend's church tomorrow afternoon for a food basket. We're not sure how much or what items we will receive, but every little bit helps. If nothing else, we may be able to hand out some of the food items, too.
    Build Thread

Hey Craig, Believe me I know the feeling. I was unemployed a long time. Things started picking up here in Feb. and finally got back to work. I'm making half the money I did but I take what I can get. Work on the Project is slow but were getting there. We did the churches and the food pantrys for awhile. I now donate all my change to them when going to the store. They were a great help. My son is helping me with the car. He's out there changing tires as I type. He really wants to take this car to the track. Hopefully things pick up soon for you also.
    A Project in the Works:
    79 Mustang Ghia Coupe. Thumper Ported E7 Heads. Weiand Steath Intake. E303 W/ 1.6 RR
    9 Pos. D\R Timing Chain. Holley 600, Hedman Headers. Dual Exhaust w\ Flowmasters.
    TCI Breakaway Converter. C-4 W/ Shift Kit. 8.8 GT Rear. FMS 4:10 Gears.
    Front & Rear Suspension:
    FMS Front C\A, BBK C\C Plates, E\S Swaybar bushings & End Links
    BBK Rear U\L C\A's, BBk Lowering Springs & Isolators
    BBK Subframe Connectors, Comp. Adj. Shocks, GT Rear Sway Bar.
    1985 Rust Bucket Donor Car for Interior, Front Nose and other Misc Parts.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=147989

Thanks for the encouraging words. We donate our change all the time, too. My youngest saves her pennies all year long to donate to the "Toys for Tots" program. She's been doing this for years. We're no strangers to the food pantries and church programs. It just feels strange being on "this side" of the donation process...receiving support rather than giving the support. I'll adjust to that.

When the good times return, we'll go back to donating as we always have. It's good to see the good deeds of my family's past are returning to help my family in our time of need.
    Build Thread

she will get there man it just takes time yano? i do think its pretty funny we are doing the same build pretty much haha
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

Resurrection time. I fixed a fuel leak at the carb. Turns out the screw-in fuel filter had loosened up and needed tightening. No more fuel leak. Looks like all the oil leaks have been found and corrected. I have a piece of carpet under the engine and I don't see any spots, so I'm hoping everything is sealed up properly now.

I'll be hand-sanding the Ranger header to clean it up. I haven't seen any holes or cracks on it, but we'll see what we see after it's cleaned. I sprayed the OEM exhaust manifold bolts with WD-40 and my neighbor gave me a can of PB Blaster to use, too. The weather is quite comfortable now, so I might pull the car cover off, again, and install the dash speakers. I plan on running some wires to the package tray to install some speakers back there, too.

Let's see how long my body will hold up to doing the stuff I want to do with the Mustang.
    Build Thread

Among the noteworthy things about your car is the radio ---- and here's the reason.

The little silver trim stripe that goes around it is in good condition. Frequently, the silver is rubbed off due to wear. You are lucky.

Danny, I wasn't aware that stripe wore off. I'll be extra careful with it when I start working on the interior. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    Build Thread

Today I had good intentions of getting some serious work done on my Ghia. I removed the car cover, replaced the leaking fuel filter and hose, put some gas in the tank, and went for a drive. Returned home, opened the hood, and OIL IS EVERYWHERE! Time to go inside the house and watch two or three movies. I am so pissed off right now. I don't think I'm going to have her roadworthy before the next semester starts on August 25th.

Edit:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 08-06-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    Build Thread

Boy that is just aggravating isn't it? I'm questioning why we even mess with this old stuff after the week I've had. My wife and I have six cars, four of which are tagged and driving, and as of today I'm down to just one. Take a break from it like you suggest, then don't touch it again until you're in the right frame of mind. Nothing like working on something while angry, usually takes three times as long to fix it.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

You got that right, Travis. That's why I'm inside the house. I'm going to try to add some photos to my post above.
    Build Thread

Craig, I feel your frustration. I've had to walk away more than once on my own cars. Keep plugging away at it and you will get there. Good luck.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement, guys. I appreciate it greatly.
    Build Thread

Nice.
    84 5.0 ( currently restoring)
    86 Toyota 4x4
    02 Lexus is300

Here's an update, gang. Help me stay on track with this. Where I'm at financially:

I've had my Ghia for 3 1/2 years now, and been unemployed for over two years. I now have sufficient funds in savings that covers the "living" expenses and we're getting a bigger than expected tax refund. Top off that with permission from my wife to, "Fix the Mustang and get it on the road so we have a third car to use," and I'm salivating at the LMR sales coupons I get in my email. I'm updating my project plan and am looking forward to spring break AND the end of semester. I am concentrating on the engine, transmission, and rear end sub-projects. The heater core, electrical and interior stuff will happen while those items are in the shop. I'd like to install new wiring, too, but that decision won't be made until I get started on the "big" stuff. I might even try to squeeze in a paint job, too, over the summer.

Hopefully, I won't lose momentum. I am really excited about this now and can't believe this might actually happen this summer. I'll be taking lots of photos so I don't forget where things are supposed to go and how they're routed. Prepare yourselves for the onslaught of questions that WILL be coming.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 12-16-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Build Thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast