Close

Default a/c compressor help

I have a 1986 V6 3.8 convertable Mustang. My ac compressor has no r12 freon in it. I hear that the freon also has oil in it to lube the clutch of the compressor.
    Since you can no longer get R12 and converting it over to R134a is too much money for my 1000 dollar beater mustang.

The clutch in the ac compressor is going bad. Is there a way to take the ac compressor off? Will I have to buy a pully? If so where do I get one?

Also if I take the ac compressor off how do I plug the hoses? Will I still have heat?

Can anyone give me a link on a video on how to do this?

Thank you
    Thanks, Anthony

First off, the car might not be the most expensive thing on the road but working AC is definitely a nice feature. Advance auto has a new AC compressor clutch for $60. I would recommend just having the clutch replaced and going on your way.
    Secondly, R12 is readily available and extremely cheap so that is not an issue either. There is zero demand for it so it is very cheap.
    Third, the AC and heat (for the most part) are not related to each other (basically). The answer to your question is yes, you will still have heat. The defrost does use the AC so your defrost may not work as good as before, but it will work ok. There is an accessory bracket that will relocate the PS pump so you can remove the compressor altogether. It would have come on cars that didn't have AC. You would have to get that in a junkyard most likely. (EDIT: on second thought, on a 3.8 you may be able to bypass the
    AC with a shorter belt, I am not sure of the belt routing.) There is a pulley available for the 5.0 motor that eliminates the AC but I doubt anyone makes one for the 3.8. The 5.0 might be made to work, I have no idea.
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by homer302; 10-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    First off, the car might not be the most expensive thing on the road but working AC is definitely a nice feature. Advance auto has a new AC compressor clutch for $60. I would recommend just having the clutch replaced and going on your way.
    Secondly, R12 is readily available and extremely cheap so that is not an issue either. There is zero demand for it so it is very cheap.
    Third, the AC and heat (for the most part) are not related to each other (basically). The answer to your question is yes, you will still have heat. The defrost does use the AC so your defrost may not work as good as before, but it will work ok. There is an accessory bracket that will relocate the PS pump so you can remove the compressor altogether. It would have come on cars that didn't have AC. You would have to get that in a junkyard most likely. (EDIT: on second thought, on a 3.8 you may be able to bypass the
    AC with a shorter belt, I am not sure of the belt routing.) There is a pulley available for the 5.0 motor that eliminates the AC but I doubt anyone makes one for the 3.8. The 5.0 might be made to work, I have no idea.
    Hope that helps!
    R12 is difficult to buy unless you have a license and it is VERY expensive. I have 38 cans in stock and it cost me $29.75 per can. You must be seeing that fake nasty stuff that the stores are selling as a replacement for R12. Don't use that stuff. Either convert to R134 or stick to the real thing.
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

Well since you live in CA, I guess that explains a lot. Any auto service station on any street corner in NC has R12 and it is cheap.
    To hear that CA is screwing folks is not new.
    Yes you have to have a license to buy it but it's a license (read just pay the state a fee) , not a PHD. Any 17 year old grease monkey can obtain one. It's not like you go to school for 2 years to be able to handle it. It's freakin freon.

And I would also suggest using the real stuff but I doubt very seriously you can provide any real research that suggests there is anything wrong with the replacement R12. I wouldn't risk my AC system on it but that is based solely on my fear, not any real studies as I suspect yours is.

By the way, if you are willing to pay that for it, send me a PM. Have I got a deal for you. This could be a win-win.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775