Close

Thread: Battery Light

Default Battery Light

The Battery light on my dash stays on-but the alternator is charging the battery..

Is there a reason the light is staying on??

Default it

It can come on if the alternator is OVERCHARGING the battery also. Make sure your charging voltage is about 13.5-15.0 volts, more than 15 volts is not good.

Don

Im not sure about the older alternators with external regulators, but I had a battery dash light go on because the diode in the alternator was going bad. It would temporarily dip down in voltage and then cause the light to go on but upon shutting the car down and restart up it would be fine. The alternator tested good at first but eventually the diode went bad completely lost charging ability. A lot of times Ive found with battery/alternator problems youll eventually find the problem when it quits completely... It sucks to be stranded on the side of the road with a dead battery, but it also sucks to throw good money after bad, as Ive found the diagnostic tests are not always correct. My two cents.... Drive it till it goes bad and the car wont run/start because then you will find out for sure what the problem is. Good luck reguardless