Close

Default 84 302 w a tap noise and #4 loose rocker arm

Hello everyone,

I was under the hood and heard a tap noise coming from the pass side. Pulled valave covers and have a fairly loose rocker arm on #4 the last rocker arm on that side. I'd say it has 1/8th of play, noticeably looser than any other. Actually one other on that side is half that loose. All the ones on the pass side are tight. Input? Possibly a bad lifter?
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthew
    Matthew
    84 5.0 H.O. LX t tops

car was also just parked for 5 weeks. Then just got a new heater core and ac evap core. was only started for testing heater core. Would a lifter do this from sitting?
    Matthew
    84 5.0 H.O. LX t tops

The lifters are hydraulic, so they will leak down after sitting. If dirty or worn, engine has dirty oil/filter, they can stick or not pump up. It could also be a loose rocker nut (if the arm is loose), worn or cracked/broken rocker arm, bent pushrod, or flat cam lobe. I'd start with the easy stuff and go from there. Good luck! Having noise on both banks on my 83, but it still runs good, so putting off looking at it for awhile...
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Thanks man, Maybe Ill add some seafoam and see if that frees it up. I feel a little better knowing you drive yours like that..lol :/ If I end up having to drive mine to work its 100 miles a day.
    Matthew
    84 5.0 H.O. LX t tops

Subscribing...my brother has an 84 capri with the same symptom.
    1986 Mustang GT
    Former Fox-1984 Capri

Ill keep ya updated to what I do and what happens.
    Matthew
    84 5.0 H.O. LX t tops

i had the same prob with my 83 mine sat for 20 years tho but was tappin. i took the valve covers off and ran it and you could see all the cloged lifters no oil was coming out of them. i rep lifters and push rodes never a prob again
    1983 Mustang gt-t-tops,5.0,4spd,all original
    1983 Mustang GT -sunroof 5.0 5sp, work in progress.
    2003 Cobra - 2.8 pulley, headers, o/r xpipe,flowmaster cat back, bf irs brace, h&r race springs, mmcc. SOLD
    2002 Mustang GT - Lt headers,o/r hpipe,slp2 catback,4.10 gears,cai, pro 5.0 shifter,sct2 tune. SOLD
    2001 Focus zx3 - Daily Driver
    1988 Bronco XLT - 5.0 -Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - (my first car) sunroof, 306,srod 4sp, 3.55 gears, Lt headers, o/r hpipe, flowmaster catback. SOLD

Update: I added about 6-7 oz of seafoam to the crankcase (3k old 15w40 in there) and drove it aprox 100 miles. next day no noise anymore and took valve cover off to verify and the loose lifter is now tight!! It might have happened from sitting for 5 weeks.
    Matthew
    84 5.0 H.O. LX t tops