Close

Default 84 Capri engine mods

Hi this is my first post and I'm looking for some help and advice. I recently got a sweet deal on a 1984 Capri RS ttop. It's totally original. It's got 108km on it. It was stored in a barn for 13 years. Runs and drives good. It's an automatic with some kind of FI. I paid $750(canadian)for the car and it included delivery and a spare RS front clip. Now the floors are shot and and it has no exhaust on it. I plan on putting a 5 speed in over the winter and dual exhaust. Are there any decent mods can I do to the motor without pulling it all apart? I know they're low HP and that CFI setup sucks. I have np switching it to a carb. I plan on buying parts piece by piece until i have what i need. Im considering selling or trading the spare front clip for some of the parts i need. they seem to be hard to find parts so i assume they are worth some $$$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Andrew
    Last edited by Fivelitrefever; 09-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Default Ok

Well, you should have the 5.0 FI 302 motor. Its a non-roller engine. The pistons are not like the 86 design so heads and cams are plenty.

I suggest that you get the car running correctly, remove old fuel, replace fuel lines, drain and replace brake fluid, etc.

As far as engine, there are many cams and heads available if you decide to go that route. The best thing to do, in my honest opinion is to replace the CFI with 4 barrel manifold, and carb. This will raise the HP slighty. Headers help a lot with performance. True duals will also help.

You must replace the distributor when replacing the manifold. It all depends how far you wanna go.

Do some on-line research, (there is A LOT OF INFO) on the same issues. One article showed (Car craft) how they took the afr 165 heads and installed them on a stock roller block with roller rockers and stock cam for over 400 hp at flywheel.

Welcome to the forums, there is a wealth of info here!!!

Don

Hi Don thanks. Ill be totally honest an say I have no clue about motor stuff. I've had 2 mustang gts. 1 86 and an 88 but ive never worked on them and I've never restored a car so this is gonna be a learning experience. I want to go long tube headers to start. There's already no exhaust on the car so it's an easy decision. As for the motor most opinions I've found on the net say to pull the motor and put in a roller style. I think I'd like to keep the original motor just get a bit more power. I've read they have around 165-175HP. My focus has that much so it's not gonna cut it. Going carb is just fine with me plus they don't e test where I live so that's not an issue. I'm not against waiting and putting on good used parts either. Any suggestions on combos with H,C,I and carbs? Thanks

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Fivelitrefever View Post
    Hi Don thanks. Ill be totally honest an say I have no clue about motor stuff. I've had 2 mustang gts. 1 86 and an 88 but ive never worked on them and I've never restored a car so this is gonna be a learning experience. I want to go long tube headers to start. There's already no exhaust on the car so it's an easy decision. As for the motor most opinions I've found on the net say to pull the motor and put in a roller style. I think I'd like to keep the original motor just get a bit more power. I've read they have around 165-175HP. My focus has that much so it's not gonna cut it. Going carb is just fine with me plus they don't e test where I live so that's not an issue. I'm not against waiting and putting on good used parts either. Any suggestions on combos with H,C,I and carbs? Thanks

Andrew

If you're on a budget...GT40 Iron Heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth dual plane carb intake manifold, Holley 600 or 650 carb (I like mechanical secondaries), shorty headers, dual exhaust. The 84 is a flat-tappet motor and the cam is not the best, but it isn't terrible either. I'd leave the cam unless you want to put more time and money into it. I had the same basic setup on an 84 Capri, and it ran really good.

There's lots more info on all this stuff here and at corral.net.
    1986 Mustang GT
    Former Fox-1984 Capri

Welcome to the site and how about a few pictures!

There is a ton of mods that can be done to these cars, the question is are you sure want to mod a survivor? These cars are pretty rare now a days. The motor in my car broke the main bearing at 200K miles so I had no choice but to intall a new block in my car. In your shoes I would bring the car up to 5.0 H.O. status with a true duel exhaust with headers, factory duel plane with the stock holley 4 barrel and maybe a slightly more stout cam. JMO

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I am in upstate PA and will be pullin gthe 4-speed SROD out of my 83 if you are not dead set on a T5. Granted the 4-speed isnt going to take a ton of power but if you are not going nuts it shuold be just fine.

PM me if intersted.

As well, love to see some pics.

with the head swap, if I had it to do over again, i would find used aluminum heads rather than iron. Try and find a local forum where someone near you has a good set of ported aluminum heads.
    I got my iron head(with a bent valve) for free....I still had a grand in them when it was done, so even if you have to wait so you can throw $1500 at them, you will be happy with you decision.

Here is my other input. Grab a roller motor, throw it on a stand and build it. You can always stash the original engine somewhere. You do not want a "performance" non roller 302 under the hood...ask me how I know.
    Good luck with your build and post some pictures up for us to check out!
    ~Shawn
    Last edited by onebadgl; 09-27-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: i speel gud
    ~Shawn

1979 Mercury Capri-5.0/C4
    2010 Cool Vanilla Cream Dodge Charger R/T
    1978 Suzuki GS750E
    1993 Ford Mustang, calypso green, 2.3 auto-sold

Having 30 cars rotting in your yard does NOT make you a collector. If its sinking in the dirt, sell it or grab a wrench.

Hey guys thanks a lot for your info. I just started to google info and pics when i knew i was buying the car and I came across this site. I was looking at some of the threads and it seemed like a great site. Looks like I was right. The car is being delivered in the next day or two so ill take a bunch of pics and ill update all my info. I live in Ontario Canada and Capris aren't seen around too much. I hope my car looks half as good as hemlocks. Mines white on top and black on the bottom. I'd like to keep the numbers matching but I can't live with the automatic I don't think. Just not enough fun. My spare fenders look just like hemlocks. All white with RS logo. I was gonna hold onto them but could go a long way to help buy some parts. To swap to dual exhaust do I need to move the fuel pump at the back? ive read theres 2 on the car. Why is there 2 and what all am I gonna need for an exhaust swap? Thanks again

Andrew

Where in Ontario are you from? That's the reason why I bought my Capri I have only seen 2 others in person mine was and still is the 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by onebadgl View Post
    Here is my other input. Grab a roller motor, throw it on a stand and build it. You can always stash the original engine somewhere. You do not want a "performance" non roller 302 under the hood...ask me how I know.~Shawn
    Because I'm always curious... how exactly do you know? I already have a roller motor but I'm always interested in hearing experiences of other people so if someone asks me I can give them an "educated" answer and perhaps an example.
    Patrick

Current Projects
    1983 Mercury Capri RS
    1972 Dodge D100

Doing a differential gear ratio change is a must too,especially if your going with a 5 speed,3.73 or 4.10.I have long tubes on and recommend short tubes,easier to put on and your collectors wouldn't be scraping the pavement if you decide to lower the ride
    Last edited by craigerSS; 09-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Sauble Beach over near Owen Sound. Theres another here in sauble and a real nice one in Meaford ont. Neither one has a t roof. I was going to lower the car and I was also going to go long tubes into free flowing or hollowed out cats and flowmasters. I guess thats not a good combo if i plan to lower the car? whats the overall differance between long tube headers and shortys?

Junkyard Explorer/Mountaineer motor hands down! Can't beat the power and there super cheap. There are a ton of V8 Explorer/Mountaineer's in the wrecking yards!
    Chris,
    You guys go ahead and restore em! I'm gonna mod em!

79 Pace Car, 96K Original, Turbo 4, 4 speed. Soon to be V8 5 Speed!
    83 GT Project
    79 Z28 89K Original!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Casper83RS View Post
    Because I'm always curious... how exactly do you know? I already have a roller motor but I'm always interested in hearing experiences of other people so if someone asks me I can give them an "educated" answer and perhaps an example.
    Because my car is still probably a 15 second beast...lol. Now I admit some of that is the 3.27 gears fault, but why build something like this with less than 300 horsies under the hood?
    I will never attempt a non roller again. But that's just me.
    ~Shawn

1979 Mercury Capri-5.0/C4
    2010 Cool Vanilla Cream Dodge Charger R/T
    1978 Suzuki GS750E
    1993 Ford Mustang, calypso green, 2.3 auto-sold

Having 30 cars rotting in your yard does NOT make you a collector. If its sinking in the dirt, sell it or grab a wrench.

Default here

If you're on a budget and have no mechanical knowhow, stick to the easy stuff. Intake and exhaust (exhaust get the shorty's, long tubes suck and are a pain in the ass...), duals are easier also to install....

get the cross member for the exhaust dual exhaust crossmember (have one i think, if you want it can give it to you for cost of shipping)...

Intake I have the stealth intake dual plane (look up single and dual plane on google, explains the difference) better for low end torque and driving. Single plane for high rpm use.

Get a simple carb 600 cfm
    If you want advice, give me a call

Can talk for hours on this stuff!!!

You're in canada.....if vyou can still call, give me a ring
    PM'ed my number to you
    Last edited by mustangsvo; 09-28-2012 at 12:38 PM.

FEP User

"long tubes suck and are a pain in the ass..."

Wondering why? I have a pair of BBK shortys, but also have an older set of long tubes just in case, I've heard things on both sides of the discussion but this forum seems to have all of the best advice.

Could you let me know a little bit of why they suck?

Thanks !

T

thanks everyone for your input. Been in the hospital with my baby daughter all weekend so i didnt have time to do much. Car got delivered yesterday and im very happy with it. It looks to be a one owner car as well. The pwr windows and locks work and it has A/C, cruise and tilt. The guy i got it from has like 7 mustangs in his yard and parts galore so he said to come see him when i want to do a tranny swap and need exhaust parts. I will keep you all posted on my progress. It may be slow but it will get there. Thanks again!

well ive been away for a while but i managed to accumulate some parts. I picked up some black carpet, 5 speed pedals and a dual hump crossmember for $100. I also traded my extra Capri parts for a set of 17x9 chrome cobra R rims. Tires are cooked but hey they were free.

snow is starting to fly so it looks like im gonna have to cover it up until spring