Close

Angry Ford Fairmont from hell fighting me all the way

Seems, like at every turn in my 1st engine transmission swap -my Fairmont is fighting me all the way LOL

I installed a 1985 Ford AOD transmission and a 302 small block--the engine runs great with new Summit street Cam -Eldebrock 600cfm performer carb

FYI has stock torque convertor

Went to test my transmission today-set my fairmont up on rear jackstands-started engine -put tranny in drive----NOTHING--

checked fluid --spot on

raised the RPM up some and the wheels started spinning as they should -let car back to idle rear wheels did not turn-rev up engine rear wheels turn..

then selected reverse---NOTHING--raised the rpm NOTHING then after some time the rear wheels turned -as RPM dropped the rears wheels stopped turning..

went through all the gears---same thing with all..

checked tranny fluid --all okay there --

no leaks

Now my question is this----is this normal or do I have a tranny problem
    Last edited by texasfairmont; 09-23-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Possible stall converter?
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

FEP Member

Parking brake on ,or rear brakes just draging? Probebly not but?

seems that the tranny will just sit there until I increase the rpm of the engine -then the rear wheels will turn but slowly?

When I tried reverse for the 1st time it did not turn the rear wheels at all, I let the engine idle for some time and then increased the rpm a little and the rear wheels turned.

Since this is a 1985 transmission (AOD) it is a different set up than the later models with the throttle Valve cable------right?

does the 1985 have a trans vale at all??

This trans and engine came together out an LTD, correct? Was it working fine when you pulled it?

correct it came out of a 1985 Ford Country Squire with a 302 2bbl carb. We had no way of testing the transmission as it was pulled from a Pick N Pull boneyard . The engine was so damn clean We thought it had never been used. Same with the tranny-took the pan off and it was clean as a whistle. Anyway, I keep getting all this information about using a Lokar AOD Throttle Valve cable. People R telling me not to run transmission until I have this cable hooked up or it will burn up the transmission...??

The engine and tranmission came with a long rod that I assume is the kickdown rod?? but no cable hook up of any type. I am ready to put the Futura on the road but NOW ??

FYI I am running a Eldebrock 4bbl 600cfm (new) carb with manual choke set up..

I'm not a trans expert. There were 2 types of throttle valve linkage, cable and rod. Sounds like you have the rod. This needs to connected to the carb linkage similar to what was original. They do make linkage for the Edelbrock carb and the C4, I ran that set-up on my '78 F-150. It needs to be hooked up, those others are correct, without it you'll burn up the trans. very quickly. Don't drive it without properly adjusted TV. You may want to consult a local trans shop. Tell them what you have and what you are trying to do, they'll probably be able to help.

okay Matt so I have the rod that your are talking about ""I think I do anyway'' Is the kickdown rod that connects to the carb? It came with the tranny-that's the only rod that was attached--or do I need the rod and a lokar cable"" damn this is crazy!! --i'll take some pics and post tomorrow---thanks for ur help and everyone else that posted suggestions as well

Is the convertor locked into the trans oil pump ? Was it out and not put in correctly at any time ?
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

ALL AOD transmissions have a throttle-valve to control the transmission line pressure, regardless of year. It is critical that this is connected and properly adjusted. It sounds like it is WAY out of adjustment.

A stock AOD converter is only 1200-1500 rpm so if all else is correct the rear wheels should take off and spin pretty quickly with no load on them.
    The Fleet:

'79 Fairmont Boxtop: The turbo-box
    '79 Fairmont Boxtop: The wife's car. 200/auto, factory sunroof.
    2010 Chevy Silverado: The DD/Tow rig.

The engine and trans were or were not together as a unit? If they were, the linkage should have been hooked up when you got it. And yes, the rod hooks to a bracket on the throttle linkage. You changed carbs, so you need to get the bracket for your carb. But it still needs to be adjusted which is why I suggested consulting a trans shop. This is something that not done correctly will ruin your trans.

does anyone have a picture of that rod that hooks to the bracket on the throttle linkage? When I place a order with Eldebrock for my (Performer carb) bracket what do I ask for??

Gmatt--yes the engine and trans were together as a unit--the linkage was not hooked up-

I live over 20 plus miles from the nearest trans shop--I do not have access to a trailer etc to get the car there---what a damn mess this is

Here's a link to a series of 5 pics of the linkage on an '85 Bronco; similar maybe? He has an Eddy carb and gives the P/N for the bracket.
    http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/ful...ry/media/40711

#5[IMG][/IMG]

this is what it looks like under the tranny and at the engine

The lever on the end of the rod needs to be connected to the trans. Actually, it looks like there's already a lever on the trans. Did that rod actually come from the car that the engine/trans is from? The other end connects to the bracket (which you don't have) at the carb linkage.

yes that rod came from another 1985 LTD wagon --and FYI we got the problem ironed out-have the rod connected at both ends -we made our own carb bracket and it works ..

thanks to everyone out there who provided input,ideas etc--you guys have put up with my crazy questions--but the bottom line you got me through my first build--about all that is left is the exhaust and installing my B&M shifter

then the cosmetics begin--which I am more able to do-the body work (very little on this car) the paint and the interior -gauges etc--hope to have the car finished by middle of Oct--started the end of July ----it has been a trip!!

thanks again to all