Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    This is my daily driver in the warmer months. It is a '79, with '87-'93 quarter windows, '79 pace car cowl hood, the pace car nose and front spoiler will go on this winter. '94-04 Cobra brakes, 17" cobra rims.

I want to add some side skirts, possibly Saleen style. My rear bumper cover has a tear in the bottom, so I thought I would add a lower to it, again probably Saleen, to cover up the damage and make the car look more even.

To me most pace cars look to busy up front without much going on towards the back. The side skirts and rear cover should help this.

Now to the "ricer" part, I have been really thinking of adding a Cobra R type spoiler to the rear deck lid. Like this one;

http://www.carid.com/universal-spoil...it-305976.html

I think it would add enough to balance the car out without ruining the look of the car. The wing has straight sharp lines like a fox mustang. It may be a bit much, but the car has an EFI 351w with a turbo, so if I get a little carried away with the body mods the car has the performance to back it up.

I am including a side shot of my car to give you all an idea of what I am dealing with. The car needs to be painted, and will be done in the same blue as is in the picture. Any opinions?

Jess
    I think paint would help solidify the look some more. Though I don't think you need to add side effects. I think it may tend to add too much height to the car when viewed from the side due to the height of the wing. Keep us posted when pictures, good luck.

The wing came today. The quality looks great, no cracks, gouges, or other problems like that.

Two issues though, first being that the bottom of the mounts are curved up in the back, to match a 80-93 trunk lid would be my guess. So, trying it out on my '79 trunk lid is a no go.

Also the mounting hardware is on the small side, I may add another bolt to each side. This should not be to big of a problem because there is metal cast into the bottom of the mounts that I can drill and tap. The ends of the wing have aluminum plates that bolt on. They can be painted, the guy painting it for me suggested just shooting some clear on them, so that is probably what I will do.

Here are a couple pictures before fitting and painting. Puter I will be sure to add plenty of duct tape just for you.

Jess
    Let me first say this is by no means for me...but if you are going to do something do it right! The car with the new large high wing in the pictures now makes the car top heavy. To over come this the car will need lower valances and possibly to even be lowered and inch or so. A good example of this is the link you posted of the yellow car. The problem I see with the ricer cars is that they are half arse done most of the time.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's84 View Post
    I think paint would help solidify the look some more. Though I don't think you need to add side effects. I think it may tend to add too much height to the car when viewed from the side due to the height of the wing. Keep us posted when pictures, good luck.
    I have been thinking this as well. I don't want to have too much "stuff" on the car. I may just buy a trunk lid, have the lid, wing, and Pace car nose painted, then put them on and do some staring at it. It is hard to get a real feel for how everything will work together while the car is in the garage, so I want to do this before the snow flys. After I make the decision on the side skirts and rear valiance, I can have the car painted completely. A friend of mine will be spraying it for me so labor costs will not be an issue. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Any opinions?

Jess
    Great looking car to start off with. With that being said, I think the wing is hideous. I also dont like the look of ground effects, be it the GT kit, Saleen, 93 Cobra etc on a Coupe. Regadless, It is your car. Do as you wish.
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

If you really want to "rice it up", drop a Toyota 4-banger with a whiny little turbo into it! ;-}
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by tcruise View Post
    If you really want to "rice it up", drop a Toyota 4-banger with a whiny little turbo into it! ;-}
    Now, now. Everyone knows that Hondas are far superior in the import game.

FEP Senior Member

Just know if you pulled up next to the naysayers they'd be seeing a lot more of the wing than they wanted

I don't think it looks that bad. Not my cup of tea but your using ford style parts and I see nothing wrong with that.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

I think if you put on a DECH rear bumper it would look the best with the wing.

Well looky what I got here.

One of the tops is locked, and has no key. Anyone have a key for the #255 locks? I would be willing to pay for a copy, shipping, and your time.

Looks like I may have to reinstall the original quarter window treatment to get the trim to match the t-tops. Still not 100% sure I am going to do the swap, 90% sure at this time. I have to decide before I paint because of the quarter window thing.

Another issue that I may have is that the donor car had power windows, my '79 does not. Anybody know if this will be a problem?

Jess
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

Hopefully you took the seal retainers off the pillars before cutting? And the window glass is the same for manual and power windows. I know someone around here started or does have a database of the T-Top keys.

FEP Power Member

I did not think getting a new trunk lid would be so expensive. I can get the trunk lid for $140 from NPD, but the shipping is $150 CJ Pony parts $180 plus $150 to ship, Laurel Mountain Mustang $150 plus $115 to ship. I can't really think of anywhere else.

All I find in the yards around here a convertibles, I don't want to screw with filling a mess of holes, or deal with the likely rust repair. Guess I have to keep searching...

Jess
    Do not waste your time or money working with an aftermarket trunk lid. They are weak and inferior. Take your time to find an OEM lid.

Quote Originally Posted by FastFox View Post
    Hopefully you took the seal retainers off the pillars before cutting? And the window glass is the same for manual and power windows. I know someone around here started or does have a database of the T-Top keys.
    I removed the plates that were screwed to the "A" pillars before I cut. There was a plastic piece under the metal brace that would not come off without breaking, so it got sawed. On the "B" pillar I cut way down near where the pillar meets the body, below the plate. Some of the screws are rusted to the point where I can't get them out, I may have to get creative with them.

It is good to hear about the window glass. Thanks. Once I get a key I can get the roof section stripped.

My side skirts and rear valance came in today. I did some mock up with the pieces, I will add some pictures later. Now I just need a trunk lid.

I am thinking of having the wife do some photoshop stuff to try out color combos.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Side skirts and rear valance clamped on, rear wing just setting there.

I was thinking of all blue with just the body molding, grill, and head light buckets black. After looking at the pictures I think I may do black from the body line down like a PC. I will have a better idea after the Mrs. modifies the pictures.

Jess
    Previously owned;

TuTone with that blue will look awesome!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I think it looks good, I got a little ahead of myself and had nothing to do before I leave for work so here is a quick shop I did. A gt/pacecar air dam would set it off.

--1981 Mustang N/A 2.3 4 speed--

╔╗╔╗ ╔═╗╔═╗╗ ╔╔═╗╔═╗ ╔╗╔╗
    ║╗║║ ╚═╗╠═╝╚╦╝╠╦╝╚═╗ ║╗║║
    ╚╝╚╝ ╚═╝╝ . # ╝╚╝╚═╝ ╚╝╚╝

^^That looks great! It s like Esco's GT in notch form. After seeing that i dont think i would do a tutone. I would just make sure the moldings, headlight buckets, etc were painted black. I might even add the light blue and white Cobra stripes and hood decal if it was mine. Very cool!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

GrandSlamStang, that looks great! Thanks.

I agree with Topgear, I will paint the car blue, except the body moldings, head light buckets, PC hood piece, and grill. Switching to the original quarter windows will probably happen now, the louvers will be black also.

If I don't like the bottom of the car blue I can go over it with black later on. I am not really a fan of stripes or stickers, so I don't think that I will be adding any, well, possibly a matching blue windshield banner that says Rice Cooker.

Jess
    Previously owned;

I think a Saleen wing would look 1000x better and still give the rice factor you're after.

//edit Yea I saw where you didn't like them on 4eyes, but still!
    Last edited by Mazlem; 10-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.

A little update here. Driving the car for the year is done. I put the car in the garage for Hurricane Sandy and only drove it once since then. So, it is now time to start the mods

I got the Pace Car nose on now, I think it is the best looking nose Ford put on the fox body mustangs. The intercooler lines right up nice with the opening in the front air dam. I got the interior out too. Time to start the t-top conversion. While I scrape the $500 together I need for a complete t-top gasket set, I am going to install the t-top roof support. So, there will be no going back. Also need to re-install original quarter windows, so the trim matches the t-tops.

I am having second thoughts about the color choice. With the kinda aggressive body stuff, I think the blue will be too much. A less bold color might be better, I was thinking a medium grey with the body molding black, also the quarter window louvers, grill, headlight buckets, end caps for the wing, door handles and trim in black.

I will post some more pictures after I get the t-tops and original quarter windows in. I did get a nice ford trunk lid a little while back and an aluminum front bumper too. The Pace Car nose is quite a bit heavier than the stock '79.

Jess
    Previously owned;

I just noticed in the stickies for this section, that it was for tech questions only.

Mods feel free to move this thread to where ever would be better suited. I plan on updating it with pictures of my progress, so it is more of a build thread than a tech thread. Thanks.

Jess
    Previously owned;

No going back now.

Jess
    Previously owned;

No going back now.

Jess
    Do a complete write up on this if you would. Lots of photos as well. How did you cut it and how did you measure it?

Blog Entries

That first cut requires more balls and confidence than most people will ever have. Congrats, and I hope it works out.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

ok ,with a rear wing like that and you think the blue too much?lol

i think the blue the right color for your car.. i like it .it would even be better two tone. blue with black lower.

I got the Pace Car nose on now, I think it is the best looking nose Ford put on the fox body mustangs. The intercooler lines right up nice with the opening in the front air dam. I got the interior out too. Time to start the t-top conversion. While I scrape the $500 together I need for a complete t-top gasket set, I am going to install the t-top roof support. So, there will be no going back. Also need to re-install original quarter windows, so the trim matches the t-tops.

I am having second thoughts about the color choice. With the kinda aggressive body stuff, I think the blue will be too much. A less bold color might be better, I was thinking a medium grey with the body molding black, also the quarter window louvers, grill, headlight buckets, end caps for the wing, door handles and trim in black.

Jess
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuy View Post
    Do a complete write up on this if you would. Lots of photos as well. How did you cut it and how did you measure it?
    There is a good amount of t-top conversion info on this site, and people willing to help. I don't have enough space to add a ton of pictures. Guess you have to contribute to get more photo capacity, one of these days I will.

I made my cut lines by measuring from different points across the front section of the donor cars roof, near the windshield. Then I made a copy of the curve, on some heavy paper of the cut of the rear section from the donor cars roof. I traced the line of the rear curve on my cars roof. Then I measured the width of the t-top brace that gets riveted in. I ended up having to move my front cut line back about 1/8" from where I copied the front section of the donor cars roof. I cut most of it with a cut off wheel. I tried a sawsall, it was too violent for the thin sheet metal of the roof, but worked well at the edges where there is multiple layers of metal. Before I cut anything I made measurements and marked the "A" and "B" pillars on each side. So, I would be able to know if the car moves any after the roof was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    That first cut requires more balls and confidence than most people will ever have. Congrats, and I hope it works out.
    If my car had nice paint I probably would not have tried the conversion. I hope it works out too. But it is only metal after all, and I have a welder...

Quote Originally Posted by rancheronut View Post
    ok ,with a rear wing like that and you think the blue too much?lol

i think the blue the right color for your car.. i like it .it would even be better two tone. blue with black lower.
    I was just thinking that the body alone will be eye catching, a bright paint color won't be needed, and might be to much. In my opinion of course. I do like the look of blacking out the bottom of the car. I have done so in the past, many times, half of all my mustangs I have done this way. My big block mustang is this way too. I was thinking grey because it might give the car a more modern look.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast