Close

Default Bolt seized on my smog pump

My smog pump went on my 84 gt, and I'm trying to remove it, but the top bolt (the "pivot" bolt) is seized in there. I've been spraying it with Break Away for two days, not having much luck yet. I tried putting some heat to it, but all I have is a Bernzomatic propane torch, which doesn't have the heat of an acetylene torch, couldn't get the tip of the bolt red hot even with 5 minutes of blasting it. The bracket it mounts in is aluminum, needless to say a pretty efficient heat sink, I need more heat than my little torch can provide. I hit it again with more penetrating oil, and have managed to bang on the pump to where it will pivot a few inches in each direction with some effort (and a hammer). I'm hoping that this movement might be an indicator that some oil might be making it's way in there, and that working it back and forth a few times might help. If nothing else, it made me feel better. A $%&* 45 minute job has kept me from driving my car for two weeks!

I'm trying to figure out if the bolt in there is threaded on both ends (are both mounting points on the bracket threaded), or just the tip at the back of the pump? I may end up snapping off the bolt head, and want to know what I'm in for if that happens.

Aside from that, and advice from those who've had a similar problem? I might have to remove the alternator and pull the whole mounting bracket off and bring the damn thing to a shop to have it drilled out, but I'd prefer not to go that route.

If it is moving a little bit now it is starting to work. Keep working it back and forth slowly without trying to force it. Soak it let it sit for a few hours & go back and work it a few times. Repeat. Be patient.

I prefer PB Blaster or KROIL. Some ATF mixed 50/50 w/ acetone has been proven to be very effective as a penetrating oil.

A MAPP gas torch is cheap and will get it hotter. The propane is better than no heat. It will just take longer to heat it up.

Good luck.

Thanks! That bolt is threaded just on the tip, right?

You said you put heat to the bolt... that will only make it expand and get tighter while it's hot, so don't try to turn it while it's hot. Heating the bolt will help "cook" some of the corrosion, but ideally, you want to heat the area around the bolt while NOT heating the bolt... this will cause the surrounding area to expand so the bolt will not be as tight. Your little torch isn't going to be enough for this proceedure, so just keep at it with the oil. If you do get a bigger torch, be careful with aluminum since it melts at a low temp.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.