Close

Default starter stays engaged even after engine starts and is running

my car is an all new build, different engine, trans, wiring harness everything. its a 5.0 EFI with c4 trans and the painless efi harness. last night we got the engine running for the first time. There is a problem though. When you crank the engine it starts and runs but when you let go of the key, to the normal "run" position, the starter is still engaged with the flywheel as can be witnessed by the unusual sound coming from it. The starter is a brand new powermaster mini. I figured i'd put the shim in it to see if that would resolve the problem but it did not.
    1979 Ford Fairmont Futura "The F Bomb"

Check your ignition switch unit inside the steering column and the starter solenoid under the hood. Those are the usual suspects for this particular problem. I my case, I had to replace the starter solenoid.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Overrunning clutch in the starter could be bad?
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

the solenoid is new and the starter is new. now I know that new parts can be bad too, but, but just thought i'd put that out there.

FEP Senior Member

Default Starter

The starter Bendix will cause that also. You may have a bad new starter or other component.Triple check your wiring if it is new also.

there is something i have a funny feeling about. there was a yellow wire in the painless EFI harness labeled "starter relay" I bought a new solenoid and mounted it next to the battery. My mechanic ran that yellow wire directly to the large post on the solenoid. There are two large posts. the one we ran this yellow "starter relay" wire to is opposite the battery. In other words the positive battery cable comes off the battery and onto one of the large terminals on the solenoid. The yellow wire is not on that one, but instead on the opposite side. Is this ok?

whoops sorry about that I just got off the phone with my wife. She looked at it for me, and the solenoid near the battery has all the wires on the battery side of the solenoid. after looking at a wiring diagram, there should be a wire to the ignition on the opposite side. This might be my problem. Currently the only wire on the opposite side of the solenoid is the big 4 gauge wire that goes to the starter. On the wiring diagram i saw, that terminal shares with the ignition wire. Then there is one wire that goes to one of the small terminals on the solenoid. i will post more details when i get home tonight.

If it is a permanent magnet type starter, the big starter cable should go to the same lug on the solenoid as the battery. The smaller wire goes to the "starter" side of the solenoid. Like this;

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...e-starter.html

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

we may be getting close to the solution here but my starter does not have 3 lugs like the one in the picture on that thread.... mine has two large lugs and one small screw. my mechanic had me make a small jumper wire that would go from that screw to the larger lug. what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by sircrunch View Post
    we may be getting close to the solution here but my starter does not have 3 lugs like the one in the picture on that thread.... mine has two large lugs and one small screw. my mechanic had me make a small jumper wire that would go from that screw to the larger lug. what to do?
    Start by removing that jumper and wire it up the other way shown in that thread.

Where did the starter come from?
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

it came from summit, i ordered it last week http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9103

When I first converted to a mini starter, I also had a problem like yours. My starter would disengage after a couple of seconds but until it did, it sounded like it was going to come apart.

The instructions that came with the starter had a jumper from the large post on the starter to the small post and the large gauge cable connected to the same large post as a factory starter. I think what happened was once the engine started the starter then acted like a generator and because of the jumper that kept the solenoid engaged.

I reinstalled the factory relay and haven't had a problem since.

If my memory serves me, this is how I corrected the issue. The heavy gauge starter cable goes to the same post on the starter relay as the positive battery cable. I removed the jumper on the starter, I ran a smaller gauge wire from the small terminal of the starter to the large terminal the starter was originally hooked to. The red wire with the blue strip still hooks up in its original position.

Now when I turn the key the starter relay is energized which sends power to and energizes the solenoid on the starter.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

ok i can hardly wait to get home and try, its killin me that i'm sitting here at work. my wife sent me these pics of what i currently have, which is obviously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    When I first converted to a mini starter, I also had a problem like yours. My starter would disengage after a couple of seconds but until it did, it sounded like it was going to come apart.

The instructions that came with the starter had a jumper from the large post on the starter to the small post and the large gauge cable connected to the same large post as a factory starter. I think what happened was once the engine started the starter then acted like a generator and because of the jumper that kept the solenoid engaged.

If my memory serves me, this is how I corrected the issue. The heavy gauge starter cable goes to the same post on the starter relay as the positive battery cable. I removed the jumper on the starter, I ran a smaller gauge wire from the small terminal of the starter to the large terminal the starter was originally hooked to. The red wire with the blue strip still hooks up in its original position.

Now when I turn the key the starter relay is energized which sends power to and energizes the solenoid on the starter.

+1 on this. I had this same issue and corrected it the same way.
    Patrick

Current Projects
    1983 Mercury Capri RS
    1972 Dodge D100

Perfect! I did what it shows in the diagram and I am up and runnin good ! thanks to all !

Congrats. glad to help.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

hi mustangxtreme ,
    somehow can not open your picture, about the starter jumper and red wire
    could you please post it

i have the same problem the starter wont stop till solenoid burn .

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post

Last edited by koussaife1; 01-05-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Small trigger wire from starter goes on the large post by itself. The big power wire going to the starter goes in the same side as the battery.

That should be all you need, plus the small wire that goes on the small post.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

See: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-B51-MT164.pdf

From the web page: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-11000-B51

For future reference, for others, if the web pages move, do a search:
    https://www.google.com/search?source...pp+starter+kit

Then, look for the web pages instruction sheets on the Ford.com web site.

Good Luck!

thanks for the info
    I will ask my mechanic to get it installed

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post