Close

Default Can the charcoal container be removed safely?

As the title says, I am cleaning up the engine compartment and want to get rid of the unsightly vapor canister. Also, if I do remove it, does the vent tube need to be left open or should it be capped off?
    Last edited by dansmach; 08-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

Blog Entries

Your car will not spontaneously burst into flames, no. The smell of fuel from the tank and engine bay may be bad enough to get you to put it back on, though. You can move it to somewhere less ugly.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

What about the electrical connection that is in the vacuum line running from the canister to the intake? is that just a purge valve or is it a sensor of some kind?
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

Keep your vent open to the tank. To plug it would be...well... bad. It may be unsightly, but it serves a good purpose. Your tank (and carb) vapors will stink to high heaven if you leave them open to atmosphere. Your car, though.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Not a good idea.....relocate it out of sight, you could easily mount it under or inside the fenderwell.
    85 GT Vert' (CFI converted to EFI), 306 TFS 170's, Systemax II, Lunati cam, 8.8 w/3.73, Ford Racing T-5, AFM Powerpipe
    317 rwhp 304 rwtq

OK, you convinced me to keep it.But, the fitting is broken on the purge valve (?) that is in the vacuum line to the intake. Can I do without this? The fuel line from the tank is connected to the container, can the other connection be left open? (The one that leads to vacuum.)

MY 85 has no can and the lines are vented open, no fuel smell at all ... ijs
    stock 00 explorer 5.0 with 120k,comp XE274HR cam Edelbrock preformer air,fms shorty headers,x pipe and 40 series,under drive pullies, fresh t-5,king cobra 10.5 clutch,Hurst short throw shifter,fms alumin drive shaft, bbk frame conectors, 8.8 4;10 , MM camber caster plates, MM XD ADJ lower control arms

I don't have the charcoal container and the smell is very strong at times. I would not recommend it. Leave it in. Unfortunately I don't have mine any longer.
    -Scott

2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t Limited[/COLOR][/B]

Ok, I've been researching this a little and talking to some friends. If you no longer have your charcoal canister as I do then it was suggested that you could cut the line by the tank and install a fuel vapor vent check valve. Not sure if anyone has done this yet but it sounds logical to me. Better than fumes in the engine bay or just a cut line at the tank. Any other opinions on this?

It's best to leave the whole system in place but for those who don't have the system any longer this may be a good option.
    -Scott

Vapor vent check valve? The stock fuel cap has a check valve in it already to allow fresh
    make-up air into the tank. But the vapors have to go -somewhere-. You don't want to just
    let the pressure build up in the tank. Giving the vapors a place to go without stinking up
    your interior or garage is the purpose of the evaporative emissions canister.

The evaporative system is one of those things that has tangible benefits, and does not
    cause any performance loss, so other than not wanting to see Ford's sloppy plumbing job,
    there's no reason not to keep it. A small bit of creativity will let you have the benefits of
    the system, without having it spoil the looks of your engine bay. (Hint: the '83-'85 4V
    cars had two canisters, one where you could see it, one up inside the fender where you
    couldn't see it.)

The purge solenoid needs to be kept, or the canister will saturate and won't be able to
    keep doing it's job.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Just keep it I took mine off for a second to to relocate it and i instantly smelt the gas. Not that I mind but it could get annoying after a while. It has plenty of slack to be mounted inside the fender.

Looking for solution for those of us that no longer have the system.
    -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NewSchool View Post
    Looking for solution for those of us that no longer have the system.
    Reinstall one. Boneyards are full of 'em.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Reinstall one. Boneyards are full of 'em.
    Jeff, as always I appreciate your wealth of information. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm at the point of no return with my car... IMO. I'll just need to think outside the box on this one.
    -Scott

I just put my tank back in yesterday and I cut and removed the line and canister a few weeks ago. If the cap is vented wouldn't that release any pressure built up in the tank? Was wondering cause after reading this I'm having 2nd thoughts on if I should have kept it
    84 Mustang LX 351W
    Weiand Stealth
    Edelbrock 1406
    BBK Shorties
    O/R H pipe
    Super 40s
    8.8 3.27 gears

IF it smells that bad just hide the thing somewhere.