Close

Thread: Wiper question

FEP Senior Member

Default Wiper question

86 Mustang: I put power on the SVO for the first time since I got everything installed. The windshield wipers work fine except when you turn them off they park themselves in a vertical pisition. This car has been all apart and the wiper motor assembly looks to have been apart and repainted. I suppose there are some switches or something inside the housing that are in backwards or reversed or something. Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Neither here nor there

Does yours just park where every you shut them off? My capri does this now and I haven't figured it out yet either. I also had the motor out for paint prior, and since then I have to time it right to get them to stop at "Home".

FEP Senior Member

Whenever I turn the off they park in the vertical position every time instead of horizontal. Other that that they work fine. There must be a cam or something that makes contact with the switches inside the motor housing, under that little plate on the front. I expect it won't be too hard to figure out, I just have not gotten to that particular problem yet.

I could replace the motor/transmission assembly with a spare I have but the one in the car is all pretty and clean. I will use my spare to compare to what is installed, that should tell the tale.
    Last edited by MAPSVO; 04-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

MAPSVO:

At first thought it sounds as if you have a simple problem.
    It may be that teh wipers were not re0installed with teh wiper motor - arm assembly in teh "Parked" position.

Essentially a 'Clocking" issue.

I would try removing the wiper arms from their spline drives with them in their now "vertical" Parked position as you indicate.

I would then replace the wiper arms approximately Half way back towards the OEM Parked position- Making certain that you have fully and carefully installed then back on the spline shafts and the wiper arms are in the OEM 'Locked position on the spline drives.

Turn on your wipers - Then turn off After they have completed a complete normal "cycle"

If the wipers wind up back in the "Half Way position" - They you have a simple "Clocking" issue- At which point you can remove and then reinstall the wipers on the spline drives as near the OEM Parked position as the arms and splines will allow.

I had this same situation occur on my 1988 TC after a well intended Ford tech installed replacement wiper blades - He later admitted that he had reached in the car and hit the wiper switch , with the key on , and that the motor had activated - Thus he "reinstalled " the wiper arm at a position on the spline drives that was not at the true Parked position

See if this simple fix works

E. J.

If that doesn't correct the problem, it may be a transistor/capacitor issue. There should be enough stored electricity to return the arms to the "Parked" position. It sounds like you're saying when move the wiper switch to the "Off" position, the wiper arm sweep motion stops immediately.

If that's the case, there doesn't seem to be enough stored energy to return the arms to the "Home" position, generally indicating an electrical issue.

I have the test and adjustment procedures in my 1979 Service Manual (if that would help), but, as stated, mine is a '79 and does not have the intermittent functionality.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Does yours just park where every you shut them off? My capri does this now and I haven't figured it out yet either. I also had the motor out for paint prior, and since then I have to time it right to get them to stop at "Home".
    The motor has an internal 'park' switch that rides on a cam. This switch is closed in all motor positions except PARK. When the motor switch/cam reaches PARK the internal switch opens. The wiper switch on the column provides power directly to the motor windings when it is in the ON (LO or HI) position. When it is in the OFF position it supplies power to the motor windings thru the internal switch via a second set of contacts. The motor continues to run until the PARK postion is reach wherein the internal motor switch opens and the motor stops. Since your motor does not continue to run to the PARK position either the switch in the column is bad or the internal switch/cam in the motor is bad.

You can verify between the column switch or the motor switch by disconnecting the 4-contact connector from the motor and connecting a jumper wire between the RED and BLK/PNK on the harness side. With the ignition switch in the ON position and the wiper switch on the column in the OFF position check for battery voltage between the WHT wire on the harness connector and chassis ground. If OK then the internal switch in the motor is failed/failing. In no voltage then the wiper switch on the column is failed.

This is for non-interval wipers.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

That's some good info.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

FEP Senior Member

Yes it is good info.

As far as "clocking" it seems if I move the arms on the shafts then they will try to be driven down into the cowl below the bottom of the windshield. Maybe I am wrong about that I will give it a think. The wipers haave the proper sweep now, they just park in vertical.

As far as "stored electricity" I don't think thats it, because when I turn them off they continue to travel to the vertical position and then stop.

I figure the cam/switch theory is where I will wind up finding the problem.

I bet when the PO had the motor/tranny apart it was reassembled in a incorrect manor.

You guys have offered up some very good thoughts/ideas and I will let you know wjhat it turns out to be.

thanks
    Mark
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

"...when I turn them off they continue to travel to the vertical position and then stop."

Sounds like the reassembly was done incorrectly.
    Build Thread

FEP Super Member

did you hook the linkage in the cowl up to the motor wrong? I did this on my old 68 Charger and the wipers did all sorts of crazy stuff..
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

FEP Senior Member

I did not have it apart, I got the car the way it is now. I am going to give that a look however.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

If the wipers otherwise have a normal sweep, but just park wrong, it's not a problem with
    how the wiper arms are clocked on their shafts, it's a problem with how the wiper motor arm
    is clocked.

The crank arm on the wiper motor just spins in circles, it's the position of the arm on the
    wiper motor output shaft, relative to the internal parking switch, that dictates where the
    wipers will stop.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

On my wife's 86 GT, the wipers worked fine until one day I changed my clutch cable. After that, the wipers have worked backwards. They actually go down towards the cowl and hood, then parks back in normal position. I changed the switch on the column but no change. I am thinking the motor is bad but not sure. I might try reversing the wiring to see if that works as a temporary fix.

Any ideas?

Is there a wiper relay or something other then the switch?

Keith

FEP Senior Member

Man that's wierd. Mine turned out to be the way the arm was installed on the motor shaft. I reversed it and they work fine now.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    The motor has an internal 'park' switch that rides on a cam. This switch is closed in all motor positions except PARK. When the motor switch/cam reaches PARK the internal switch opens. The wiper switch on the column provides power directly to the motor windings when it is in the ON (LO or HI) position. When it is in the OFF position it supplies power to the motor windings thru the internal switch via a second set of contacts. The motor continues to run until the PARK postion is reach wherein the internal motor switch opens and the motor stops. Since your motor does not continue to run to the PARK position either the switch in the column is bad or the internal switch/cam in the motor is bad.

You can verify between the column switch or the motor switch by disconnecting the 4-contact connector from the motor and connecting a jumper wire between the RED and BLK/PNK on the harness side. With the ignition switch in the ON position and the wiper switch on the column in the OFF position check for battery voltage between the WHT wire on the harness connector and chassis ground. If OK then the internal switch in the motor is failed/failing. In no voltage then the wiper switch on the column is failed.

This is for non-interval wipers.
    wow, 5 months for me to notice this reply LOLOL

Mine are interval wipers, but I still haven't taken the time to even look at them yet. I don't go out in the rain much so I forget!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    wow, 5 months for me to notice this reply LOLOL

Mine are interval wipers, but I still haven't taken the time to even look at them yet. I don't go out in the rain much so I forget!!
    I see
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Neither here nor there

I see what you just did

Ok........I........TRY not to go out in the rain, that day did not make me happy, and lord did wipers suck, but the headlight covers made life worse lol

so what happened when before they worked great, and now they stop at the vertical position? I havent messed with the wipers at all and they started acting up recently
    Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius