Close

Default T-5 second gear grinding - NEW rebuild

I had my T-5 upgraded to a Z-Spec gearset when it was removed from the car. I also used a new steel input bearing retainer, new WC T5 rebuild kit from FORD Racing and a refurbished mainshaft from a reputable company. All seemed well until I took my first ride through the gearbox the other day. I can't get into 2nd gear without a big grind.

I should also mention I am using a Maximum Motorsports adjustable clutch quadrant, MM firewall adjuster and their universal cable as well. Clutch is a brand new FRPP "King Cobra" (pn 7560-A302) with new throwout bearing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-7560-A302N/

I adjusted the firewall adjuster until there is pretty much zero slack left in the cable and double-clutching is of NO HELP. Trans was filled/topped up with proper fluid as well. I am leaning towards 2nd gear syncros as the culprit..

Anybody have any ideas as to why this could be before I pull the gearbox for teardown? Maybe my buddy missed something during the rebuild...

Here's the FRPP kit we used:
    1986 Capri RS w/ FRPP Z347BOSS crate

2011 F-150 SCREW ecoBoost FX4

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Trans was filled/topped up with proper fluid as well. I am leaning towards 2nd gear syncros as the culprit..
    What exactly was it topped off with? Also, were the shift forks inspected during the rebuild?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Super Member

check input for shaft play they can loosen up after a rebuild

I'm not sure how new second gear synchros could go out after 10+ miles

It only does it in 2nd? no other gears grind? What fluid?
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Dexron ATFIII I believe. Can't tell you about the shift forks...I can only assume they were fine otherwise he would've mentioned something. How can you tell when they're bad?

Only 1-2 shift and 3-2 shift grinds. It actually grinds going into 2nd while sitting at idle..

Not familiar with that cutch cable kit. Is the cable itself adjustable or no? I know when the adjustable kits first started appearing, they cable was adjustable and the firewall adjuster was there as well. We just ran the nut on the end of the cable down as far as it would go and did all the adjustment at the firewall.

I would be inclined, however to think the synchronizer is bad. Or shift fork is slightly tweaked.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Nope, cable is non-adjustable, no nut at the end. All adjustment comes from firewall. Funny thing is, this was not an issue prior to rebuild, just afterwards. Guess I'm gonna have to pull the gearbox and size this up.

Also my speedometer isn't reading despite installing a new Ford speedo gear ...I wonder could this be relative?

Pulled the gearbox and looks like synchro for 2nd is shot. Don't know how he missed that during the rebuild but I guess he did. I thought there were new syncros in that Ford rebuild kit but apparantly not.

Anyways, where can somebody point me for a new synchro? The other synchros look to be in good shape, he's only reccommending I install 2nd.

Also, just wondering if 2nd synchro is physically the same size as any of the others? He has a couple new ones kicking around, probably 3 and 4th he said.

Mike Croke

If your buddy used the kit you pictured, it has all new synchros for all 5 forward gears. Did he not use all the synchros?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post
    If your buddy used the kit you pictured, it has all new synchros for all 5 forward gears. Did he not use all the synchros?
    Just what I was going to say. One kit comes with synchros the other doesn't. You sure which one you got??
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

do i know who built this trans?

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    do i know who built this trans?

cale
    Nope, not the same guy you're thinking of Cale..this guy is local.

And it turns out he missed adding the 2nd gear synchro during the rebuild. Easy enough to happen I guess....and you guys are right, there are 5 new synchro's in that 7000-A kit, he just missed one. I know this because when I pulled the box of old gearbox guts I had lying around I found a brand new sync in there amongst the rest of the crap. Nice. Anyways, hoping to have that issue resolved and gearbox back to me tommorrow or Thursday.

Thanks for input guys.

oh good! stuff happens i guess... hopefully he didn't miss anything else and took the time to shim it correctly.

cale

yeah i hope so too....if i put that back in and there are still problems.....oh man

Talked to him again just then, shes ready for pick-up... said he missed a clip or retainer of some sort and figured THAT was the problem and not the synchro?? Doesn't explain how I had a new synchro left over during the build though....nevertheless, we'll see how this goes.

The wc synchros are a three piece deal. It pretty much won't work right without all the parts in there. Easy to mess it up if you are just going off memory.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Update: installed gearbox yesterday and went for a test run today. All is well and gearbox is great! Have no speedometer tho...strange as I just installed a new speedo gear sensor. Before rebuild I noticed a clicking in the speedometer when at low speeds and the Gauge would bounce and flicker in sync with the sound. This was the reason I installed the new sensor. Now it's completely dead but no noise. Maybe I have a bum cable? Is there anything in the instrument cluster to look at here?

Do you have a. 23t gear installed on the cable side?

Cale

The original speedo gear is still in there since day 1...I can't remember ever changing it. I guess I'll need to have a look inside with a flashlight to see if the square is rounded out.

Any other possible causes?

I Checked the speedo cable outer jacket, I see no signs of damage. I tried to pull the instrument cluster and see if the cable had let go from back there but I couldn't get it out far enough to see. My guess is that the speedo cable WAS attached and needs to be let go from tranny in order to get enough slack and pull the cluster out??? or is there something that I missed? I removed the 4 mounting bolts but saw nothing else that could be holding it back, other than maybe the cable.

Also, that plastic 23T gear.....that is not an item that can be installed with the trans in the car is it?

sorry, i am bad at forums anymore. i prefer the chat room over this slow back and forth stuff that spreads out over days.

basically, the 23t gear is a piece of crap. i asked because they are known for shredding. what rear gear is in it?

the speedometer cable is a pain to disconnect at the gauge. i usually disconnect the plugs from the back, and get it with my right hand. it isn't easy, your hand will get hurt to get it to unclip. and you can't man handle it either, because that printed circuit board on the back is just looking for an excuse to tear.

on my car, the metal part that goes into the trans isn't very tight on the cable. i have pulled it off before. maybe your cable housing pulled out of the end a bit. cable may have also snapped somehow.

cale