Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    nothing irks me more than a buncha razzle-dazzle BS. Stating "straight body" accompanied with photos showing some rather large and obvious dents down both sides...
    Nah, those aren't large and obvious dents, they're just character wrinkles on a "straight body".

Still, $900 is a deal. Too bad I live so far from the desert SW!

FEP Member

Well maybe I shouldn't have paid over $5,000. The day I bought it....

Name:  IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1783.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  171.2 KB

And after seven months stored under a car cover in Portland...

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.6 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  65.7 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.1 KB

what brand of car cover?
    1985 LTD LX original owner

FEP Member

Covercraft. Waterproof, breathable, their top of the line cover.

Hard to tell. What happened there?

FEP Member

The painter I trust here thinks there are a possibilities. Since the Eudura paint they used is a single stage paint that is supposedly not very glossy and hard to make lay out smooth, he thinks they may have tried some "home chemistry" to get it looking as good as it did. Maybe they added extra reducer or clear, and it caused the paint to not cure correctly even after all of that time. Another possibility is they laid down too many coats too fast and it flash dried on the outside, but was still "degassing" when I put the cover on it and that is why it blistered all over.

A few painters I've showed the car too said they have no clue.

One painter said is it actually mold under the paint in any body filler they used. Another claimed they have seen it before and it was bad or rotten primer.
    Until we strip it it's hard to say.

Current plan is to pull the hood this winter and take it to a painter and have him strip a spot on it and see what it looks like underneath. Depending on what we see I may have him strip some of it and just sand some of it smooth and just paint it with flat black and see what happens. over the next year If it looks good and stays looking good maybe we could sand and shoot the whole car rather than strip it all.

Damn, man, that really sucks. I can't imagine pulling off my car cover and finding that!

FEP Member

It did suck! Turns out I shouldn't have paid $5k for this Fairmont....

Hopefully you're not beating yourself up about it too much. Based on what you've shown us, mechanically you got a great car. It looked great, too; the fact that pro painters aren't sure what went wrong tells me that a layman wouldn't have had any way to foresee that the paint work would go bad like that.

You would have a very hard time recreating the car you have for under 5K. It is a great car.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Take some black or blue detail/pinstripe and outline the dark spots and call it good.

CUSTOM PAINT JOB!

You would be different and still better than some of the paint schemes on show cars at SEMA.

Remember "Camo" is in right now!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm not beating myself up too bad, but at the same time I'm not too thrilled I have to paint the whole car. Wasn't really in the plans.

I've found a new winner in the "You Want How Much?!" F/Z competition: $19,500 for this one on CL - https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...231343527.html.

Dark Jaguar Green, all new rubber seals, bucket seats with 5pt harness, new wiring harness, QA1 tubular front end w/ adjustable A-arms, coil over struts, power steering, 4 piston caliper slotted rotors w/stainless steel lines, aluminum fuel cell with braided fuel lines, battery box with cut-off switch, new 347 Stroker blue print motor w/ less than 600mi., 2000 rpm stall speed, C6 transmission, 9 in. Moser rear end w/31 spline 383 gears, 15 in. Ion wheels w/ Cooper tires, and too many new parts to list.
    Some nice parts, car looks OK (no real close-up shots in the ad, so hard to say much more than that), but $19.5k???
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 08-28-2017 at 10:42 AM.

FEP Member

Looks nice, and it would not be easy to build one that nice with all of those mods for that price, but..... It's still going to be tough to get that kind of $ for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Since the ad will disappear eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by craigslist
    1979 Ford Fairmont, 1 owner, 27,000 orig. miles - $20000

This was my Grandma's car she bought brand new in 1979! It has been garaged since she bought it, interior in beautiful shape-like new, all original, only 27,000 miles, I put a new fuel tank, fuel pump, carbureator and AC fan motor (all factory parts) and got it running great!!! Guaranteed to be the most original and in the best shape of any 1979 Ford Fairmont in the WORLD!

Name:  20k fairmont1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  20k fairmont2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  20k fairmont3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  178.3 KB
    (That's just a few sample pics - there are 24 in the ad on CL.) It's certainly nice, but $20k?!?! Good luck with that, owner!
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I can't believe he hasn't changed that yet! "I wonder why no one's calling?!"
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I particularly enjoy that the 2nd picture in his ad (the first picture that I put in my quote) shows a big-ass crease in the passenger door. The whole "super-low-mile-grandma's-perfect-car-so-it's-worth-megabucks" thing goes right the window by the time you get to the 2nd pic!

I'm currently working on a $4000.00 budget build (more than likely I'll go over budget and cheat and have a $4099 build but still tab it as a $4k build haha) Futura. Bought the thing for $1800, got super lucky for the condition it was in here in Kansas. If interested in more I have a series of YouTube videos dedicated to build but at the moment I won't go out of my way to shamelessly self plug myself. I feel like I've shared links on here probably more than I should have already, so I'm trying to spare you all who might already know about my other posts.

I just realized the post was from Topeka Craigslist, LOL! Just down the road from me. Well if he somehow gets $20k for that, I may have to have him sell mine for me when I get to that point so I can make $16k profit!
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 10-01-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678