Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

Default Lets talk about 5000.00 Fairmonts

I've seen a couple people asking kinda crazy prices for stock Fairmonts and Futuras......Are there anyone out there buying them?

Lets face it they are cheap cars no matter how nice they are, they are cheap. I've personally would never pay more than 2500.00 for the nicest fairmont wagon out there, and I love fairmont wagons. Where are the people selling these cars base the price from.

There is that blue on blue futura with white interior, which i'll admit it's so ugly it's cool again, but we all know that car would bring no more than 2800-3000 at a auction, I think people are taking advantge of us in a big way. Now same car with a stock roller 302, even a 2 barrel intake but atleast a 302 in it, I can see 3-4000.00 as long as the car is solid. Who cars if the car has 30,000 miles, 30,000 is still time and effort to make it cool and put an egine that will make it get out of its own way. Just me but I would pay more for the car without an engine.

.......and the brown wagon on ebay, what are these people smoking,

I agree completely!!! These cars are just not worth that much, even perfect, low-mileage, all original examples. Just because something is low mileage doesn't mean it's worth many times more than the going market price for it. I don't see where people get off asking huge money for these cars. People asking outrageous prices are fishing for a fool who is willing to pay it. and based on what I've seen they aren't finding their fools.

Think of it this way: If you walked into a Ford dealership in 1978 and bought a Fairmont that is the equivalent of walking into a Ford dealer today and buying a new Taurus or Fusion. They were never intended to be anything more than basic transportation. If you sprung the cash for the Futura with a 302 it would be like you bought the Taurus SHO. Either way 10 years from now nobody is going to really care a whole lot and the general automotive public isn't going to get excited about it. (The new ecoboost SHO maybe excluded. They are bad-ass!)

I bought this car from a board member last October for $1500. It is a 56K mile, 2-owner, 200/auto, bucket seat, floor shift, cruse control, factory sunroof car. The main reason I bought it was because the seller was one of the few people who was completely realistic about what these cars are worth.

Last edited by Turbo-Box; 08-18-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    The Fleet:

'79 Fairmont Boxtop: The turbo-box
    '79 Fairmont Boxtop: The wife's car. 200/auto, factory sunroof.
    2010 Chevy Silverado: The DD/Tow rig.

Thats defiantly worth 1500. Every time I find a decent fairmont or futura they are just asking outrageous prices just because its only has 50,000 miles and it was there grandmas car.
    1986 mustang coupe 351w svo intake same as performer, hei dizzy, edelbrock performer cam, gear drive, WC t-5, pro 5.0 shifter, aluminum driveshaft, sn95 8.8 w/373's, weld wheels.

1989 Mustang coupe. 87 non HO 302 performer intake 600 holley carb, fms shortys, 94 gt catted hpipe and tailpipes no mufflers. aod, 8 point cage. awaiting a mild gt40 block and paint

1994 Ranger. 97 exploder block and heads, 4 barrel intake holley 600 carb, 89 f150 5 speed, 3:45s out back.

Banned

Totally Cute Boxtop, Is that a vinyl top, and I do agree, that is worth 1500.00, In fact I think that is the most I've ever paid for a Fairmont, The one that i'm changing into a durango I paid 1500 for it, but again, clean , 61,000 mile, I6, automatic. My other Futura, the fast one, was a very little rust, 47,000 mile, I6, automatic, 400.00, now I got 30,000 in it, but I wouldn't have the balls to ask 30 for it.

Banned

On your boxtop.....Is it so fast its gone to PLAID, that is a badass car

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced5o View Post
    On your boxtop.....Is it so fast its gone to PLAID, that is a badass car
    Thanks! That is why I'm going to drop my drivetrain and wheels into it It has the perfect patina, along with the 1979 chic interior and vinyl top to be even more sleeper than my last car. I almost felt bad about doing something to it because it's so nice, but it's only worth $1500 as is. Might as well do something cool with it.
    The Fleet:

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Maybe it's a supply and demand thing?

Years ago before some of the larger websites the F/Z's did not have such a following. When people go tired of trying to build a Mustang and have something different they reached out to a chassis they still know. That at one time could be sought out and bought cheaply.

Mustangs are a dime a dozen, but even a clean 4cyl thats been taken care of brings good money! Now, find a unmolested clean F/Z, you will see the inflated price.

Maybe it's a regional thing too, some areas have a lot of F/Z's some don't. I drive my Futura over 600 miles a week in the Atlanta area and have only passed 2 other Futura's once in 8-9 years.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by quarterstang86 View Post
    Maybe it's a supply and demand thing?
    Maybe it's a regional thing too, some areas have a lot of F/Z's some don't. I drive my Futura over 600 miles a week in the Atlanta area and have only passed 2 other Futura's once in 8-9 years.
    It may be. I've bought a couple of Fairmonts when I was out in AZ visiting my mom and brought them back to Michigan. In Phoenix they have to meet emissions requirements, so they aren't really a desirable car to be modded. I think I paid $600 for one and $900 the the other. Both were perfect drivers that got me the 2000 miles home without a hiccup. Those same cars, in their condition would have easily fetched $1500+ back in MI.
    The Fleet:

Banned

i understand that but are people actually paying the money?

i understand that but are people actually paying the money?
    No. There have been 2 Fairmonts that I would pay $5000+ for. The Late Model Resto boxtop, and a dark blue boxtop that was on Ebay from Iowa years ago. It had 13,000 miles in it or some stupid low number like that. it was MINT. I missed the auction by 10 minutes.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Banned

me too.....That late model resto car is one, what did it go for, I remember it was for sale.

me too.....That late model resto car is one, what did it go for, I remember it was for sale.
    $7000
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Banned

for the money, You don't have to do anything to it.

imagine paying 5000.00 for one and getting beat on by something like a cobalt or focus.

In most cases it's kinda bad to have one with so few miles, means they been sitting, and there are not too many people looking to restore anything with a 200 6 in it. Most of us are hotrodders and generally step one with any fairmont is get a new K-member and a V8 between those shock towers

Now if someone has started that project and has spent some money making it into something worth having I'm all for that like the resto50 car, because it was all done, but paying boo-koo bucks for one because someone grandma passed away is BS

for the money, You don't have to do anything to it.

imagine paying 5000.00 for one and getting beat on by something like a cobalt or focus.
    Something I love hearing from ricers when they get beat on by my car is "Your car came from the factory with a V-8 and was fast to begin with. Our cars were slow from the factory and we had to make them faster."

Oh really???? You could put a '78 fairmont with a 130 hp 302 up against a newer Civic Si and dispel that myth. From the factory these cars were decent when compared to the smog era yuck of the day, but by today's standards they are pretty pathetic. Paying $5000 for something like that is ridiculous.
    In most cases it's kinda bad to have one with so few miles, means they been sitting, and there are not too many people looking to restore anything with a 200 6 in it. Most of us are hotrodders and generally step one with any fairmont is get a new K-member and a V8 between those shock towers

Now if someone has started that project and has spent some money making it into something worth having I'm all for that like the resto50 car, because it was all done, but paying boo-koo bucks for one because someone grandma passed away is BS
    Agreed again. It's not like we see restored fairmonts rolling through the Barrett Jackson auction. In fact, I don't think I've ever even seen someone restore a fairmont back to an all-stock original. The whole appeal of these cars is their parts commonality with the Fox mustang, which is (arguably) the easiest car to build in the history of hot rodding.
    The Fleet:

I would pay asking price for this in a minute (if I had the money, that is):

http://www.bonhamchrysler.com/1979-F...-TX/vd/8443766

Then again, I would also buy this at the same time - just because it's so weird:

http://www.bonhamchrysler.com/1977-F...-TX/vd/8443827

If you're bored, take a look at some of their other inventory. They got some weird time-capsule cars like a 12K mile Chevy Luv, a 7K mile '73 Buick Electra, an '82 Riviera convertible with 732 miles...

http://www.bonhamchrysler.com/inventory/newsearch/Used/
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

That place has some ridiculous stuff!!!
    The Fleet:

A 4dr Granada with factory 302/4spd manual, P/S and air in mint condition with under 3K miles? I thought I'd seen everything.

-MJS

Quote Originally Posted by Maindrian Pace View Post
    A 4dr Granada with factory 302/4spd manual, P/S and air in mint condition with under 3K miles? I thought I'd seen everything.

-MJS
    Yup. Ain't it great? Haha
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

as these cars get older its going to get harder and harder to find the low milage cars. price is only going to go up. thats how it works!
    Looking for a Fox wagon

crap just realized this was a year old thread!

Blog Entries

But the best part of that is, that killer Granada is still available!
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

FEP Member

Supply and demand. Pure and simple. It's getting harder and harder to find rust free examples, so I would indeed be willing to pay for a rust free example, especially in the rust-belt! If I'm looking for a paticular body style, for sure. A guy could easirly spend the difference in body work or shipping from a non-rust-belt area of the U.S.
    Terry

78 Fairmont Sedan V8 - Factory black interior, factory A/C, No longer a SHO project, t/c 8.8 diff w/ 3.73LS
    85 LTD LX - Black, 5.0L CFI, crank windows
    93 Mustang LX 5.0L notch - original owner, 20k original miles
    17 F250 - My RV Trailer, projects, and car hauler vehicle

I paid $2500 for mine and I thought that was really high at the time, 2006. It IS an exceptional example though.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I bought my 78 from the original owners grandson for $1000. 62k factory V8 car. Not a show car but no massive rust or body damage. I wouldnt have paid $3000 for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I paid $2500 for my 1979 futura, but It also came with a lot of aftermarket parts. I would consider my purchase for the parts, and the car was free. I agree the market for these fairmonts, zephyrs, ltds, etc is starting to rise. The drag racing world seems to be eating these cars up. I know that is what I intend with mine. Beater car that I can drive the heck out of and enjoy.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast