Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moving the cruise control

I've got a nice Grant wheel that I'm going to be putting on my Cobra, but the OEM wheel has cruise, has anyone tried to move the cruise controls.

I've got this box I'm going to mount down by the gear shift and splice into the OEM wiring so I can install my wheel

anyone done this?

This is gonna be good. When I installed my Grant, I just left it alone. I always thought about wiring it back up some how. Not that I'd ever use it but.....

I'm watching this one...
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Default dealer installed cruise

In the '70s & '80s Ford offered a dealer installed cruise, same as the factory set-up, except the buttons were on the turn signal stalk so it would work with the standard 3 spoke steering wheel. As of about 5 yrs ago, these parts could still be sourced through Ford with a helpful parts man who didn't mind doing a little digging. If you can locate these NOS parts, it would be an excellent solution to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvicki View Post
    In the '70s & '80s Ford offered a dealer installed cruise, same as the factory set-up, except the buttons were on the turn signal stalk so it would work with the standard 3 spoke steering wheel. As of about 5 yrs ago, these parts could still be sourced through Ford with a helpful parts man who didn't mind doing a little digging. If you can locate these NOS parts, it would be an excellent solution to your problem.
    You have an engineering number for these parts? I'm also interested in a turn stalk with this option.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

FEP Senior Member

If you don't already have some control switches,find a set(Ebay) and fab up a bracket to mount them on.

Something like this perhaps-

This was available from Grant I believe,but no longer.It would not take much to reproduce something simuliar.

Just another option,Good luck

This is 69BOSS's setup,hope he dosen't mind me using his pic....
    Last edited by OldManRiver; 08-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Neither here nor there

I have a turn stalk, but never got around to installing it yet.

I am pretty sure this is the one that was used, but don't quote me on it.

Rostra-250-3169

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-3...396645&vxp=mtr

I have a Ford Accessories brochure from 1980 and the cruise control stalk is listed as Base Part No. 9A818. The one posted by Capriman86 looks almost the same as the one from the ford catalogue. It may be a bit newer than 1980. I'm sure it would work just the same.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Supporter

I checked on this a few months ago for another member here as I was able to find a proper stalk on ebay when I put in my "dealer installed" cruise kit.

The PN of the stalk I have is E4FZ-9C888-A. It's available at a bunch of places as of a few months ago. That's when I did the search below.

'85 GT

You need the lever E6ZZ-13305-A which is hollow & the switch plate E4AZ-9C888-A which has the buttons & wiring & fits inside the lever. They were still available from Ford in late '05 when I got mine. These worked on my '85 & the lever & buttons are all black.

FEP Supporter

You need the lever E6ZZ-13305-A which is hollow & the switch plate E4AZ-9C888-A which has the buttons & wiring & fits inside the lever. They were still available from Ford in late '05 when I got mine. These worked on my '85 & the lever & buttons are all black.
    So are the parts you mentioned are a direct replacement known to work with the factory installed cruise control?
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    So are the parts you mentioned are a direct replacement known to work with the factory installed cruise control?
    My understanding is that it is a simple "plug & play" to the wiring harness in the steering column. But, since my car never had the factory wheel-mounted cruise, you might want to verify that.

FEP Supporter

My understanding is that it is a simple "plug & play" to the wiring harness in the steering column. But, since my car never had the factory wheel-mounted cruise, you might want to verify that.
    What cruise set up did you use it with?
    '85 GT

I am definitely following this thread with interest.

What cruise set up did you use it with?
    I had the dealer installed cruise put on when I bought the car new in '85.

FEP Supporter

Hmmm. I wonder if the part number I mentioned is the combination of both the components you purchased?
    '85 GT

I checked on this a few months ago for another member here as I was able to find a proper stalk on ebay when I put in my "dealer installed" cruise kit.

The PN of the stalk I have is E4FZ-9C888-A. It's available at a bunch of places as of a few months ago. That's when I did the search below.

What site were you using?

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
    What site were you using?
    I think it was rearcounter.com. There are a few sites like it that allow you to look up parts and see who has them in stock.
    '85 GT

I think it was rearcounter.com. There are a few sites like it that allow you to look up parts and see who has them in stock.
    I could always use more sources like that. If you have some more, please share.

Great resources, thank you.

Hmmm. I wonder if the part number I mentioned is the combination of both the components you purchased?
    Yeah, it gets complicated since the dealer installed cruise was used over many years on different Fox body cars. I know there are both chrome & black finish parts & some part #'s may be complete cruise kits. My original installation had chrome buttons on a black lever. The replacement I got in '05 was the same part but had the black buttons & a different part #. I was lucky to have a patient, knowledgeable parts man at the local dealership.

FEP Supporter

Yeah, it gets complicated since the dealer installed cruise was used over many years on different Fox body cars. I know there are both chrome & black finish parts & some part #'s may be complete cruise kits. My original installation had chrome buttons on a black lever. The replacement I got in '05 was the same part but had the black buttons & a different part #. I was lucky to have a patient, knowledgeable parts man at the local dealership.
    The one I bought and refrenced was like the one you have now, black on black. I'll tell ya, I got pretty lucky, I found what I was looking for on EBay in about 2 weeks. It just happened to come up when I wanted it.

I can't imagine all the different variations of parts with different finishes and colors. It's got to be a nightmare if one doesn't have a good description or enough knowledge to know the difference when looking stuff up...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
    Great resources, thank you.
    No problem... Happy hunting!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    I have a turn stalk, but never got around to installing it yet.

I am pretty sure this is the one that was used, but don't quote me on it.

Rostra-250-3169

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-3...396645&vxp=mtr
    Jeff - just ordered this. Let me know how it goes on the install...whenever you get around doing it. I thought when I switched wheels I had given up the cruise control, but I like this option. Although it looks like a gm cruise switch, it does look like it was factory instead of extra mounted switches somewhere. I don't think I'll be using the cruise anytime soon with the kind of driving I do with my car, but it is nice to have it functioning again if I wanted to.
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by 86GTConv View Post
    Jeff - just ordered this. Let me know how it goes on the install...whenever you get around doing it. I thought when I switched wheels I had given up the cruise control, but I like this option. Although it looks like a gm cruise switch, it does look like it was factory instead of extra mounted switches somewhere. I don't think I'll be using the cruise anytime soon with the kind of driving I do with my car, but it is nice to have it functioning again if I wanted to.
    Mike there might be a better chance of you telling me how the install goes LOL
    I have had mine for years, not done lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast