Close

Default C4 to T5 on i6 experiences?

Hi everyone.

I am seriously considering to switch from my c4 auto to a T5 tranny. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if it is worth it in their opinion and also their experiences after performing the swap.

Should I expect better performance? Gas mileage? The car runs tip top but is my money best spent elsewhere on the car?

I won't be doing it myself so I will be paying for my mechanic to do this and would like to hear a few opinions based on experience before i give him the green light.

Here's a couple pics of my 81 four eye just cause

Much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AC Trust; 08-13-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Your '81 looks sharper today than mine did in 1989! Good luck with your swap. IMO if you are paying for someone else to such work, you should really be sure about what direction you are taking with your car mods. I would personally just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxdroptop View Post
    Your '81 looks sharper today than mine did in 1989! Good luck with your swap. IMO if you are paying for someone else to such work, you should really be sure about what direction you are taking with your car mods. I would personally just leave it alone.

Thank you for the input I guess either way the car does move forward lol

This has pretty much every thing you need to know but I'd also suggest taking a look at the tech section of classicinlines.com as they might have some more info on it.

I considered this with a turbo on the inline six for a while but ultimately decided it wasn't for me and I am now going a different route.

Quote Originally Posted by blake4591 View Post
    This has pretty much every thing you need to know but I'd also suggest taking a look at the tech section of classicinlines.com as they might have some more info on it.

I considered this with a turbo on the inline six for a while but ultimately decided it wasn't for me and I am now going a different route.

Again, thanks for all the info!

Since you mention Turbo on a I6, what are your opinions on Turbo VS Supercharging this engine? I would be curious what people's opinions are between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by AC Trust View Post
    Again, thanks for all the info!

Since you mention Turbo on a I6, what are your opinions on Turbo VS Supercharging this engine? I would be curious what people's opinions are between the two.
    I personally wouldn't bother with a superchager since its going to require about the same amount of plumbing as a turbo and there's no real easy place to mount it. You could use a vortech style one but those all cost more money than I'd want to put into the I6.

Boost is really good for the I6 since it helps over come the motors very restricted intake. The problem is that at a certain point there's a limit to how much air can get into the even with boost. At this point your only choice is parts from Australia or put piles of money into at which point it makes more sense to move up to a 5.0.

I personally am moving down to a 2.3 turbo because I got one really cheap and it fits with the end goals of my project. I wanted to stay different and to have a fun every day driver than more than just a drag racer.

Quote Originally Posted by blake4591 View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother with a superchager since its going to require about the same amount of plumbing as a turbo and there's no real easy place to mount it. You could use a vortech style one but those all cost more money than I'd want to put into the I6.

Boost is really good for the I6 since it helps over come the motors very restricted intake. The problem is that at a certain point there's a limit to how much air can get into the even with boost. At this point your only choice is parts from Australia or put piles of money into at which point it makes more sense to move up to a 5.0.

I personally am moving down to a 2.3 turbo because I got one really cheap and it fits with the end goals of my project. I wanted to stay different and to have a fun every day driver than more than just a drag racer.

Thanks for the response.

Does anyone know where a guy would even buy a turbo set up for the I6?

Thanks for the response.

You can't buy a kit you have to piece it together yourself. A welder and fabrication skills are absolutely necessary.

Your going to want to do some reading here: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.p...c66c9d0c0522bf

If you decide to do a C4 to T5 swap, find out what rear end axle ratio you have. This will determine whether you need a T5 from a V8 or 4cyl. The typical V8 T5 has a 3.35 first gear and 0.68 OD. The typical 4cyl T5 has a 3.97 first gear and 0.79 OD.

If your rear axle ration is below 3.20, you need a 4cyl T5. If the ratio is above 3.20, you need a V8 T5.

If you use the wrong transmission, you'll be shifting out of first at 10Mph, or not able to shift into OD until 70Mph.

By changing from a C4 to T5, you gain an overdrive gear which will lower your RPMs on the highway and increase MPGs.

Thanks for the response.

I have this listed in the "Parts for Sale" section:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=126560
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

1981 to 1983 T4 Borg Warner E1ZR-6394-AA or 1979-1980 SROD Fox bell D9BC-6392 CA

Or the RAN/RUC Fox body 1978 Fairmont 3 or 4 speed box bellhousing, Toploader based.

High mounts are blue, T, B or X code, and they were still being made into 1983.

The grey engines are low mount starter, and its lucky dip as to what was used.

Sort of like the M code Mustang 5.0 HO engines of 1984, they could be CFI or 4V, but ran the same engine code.

see http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=60556 to E1ZR-6394-AA T4 to T5
    and http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=59752 for D9BC-6392 CA SROD to T5

Each needs the later flat 9" clutch as found in the early Broncos and most 3.03 equiped 200's.

Pictures of D9BC-6392 CA

Last edited by xctasy; 08-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Warning:-

According to Stormin'Norman, please don't use the common 3.03" trans stock 136 teeth. 9.25" clutch. Thats because the r manual 1978-1981 3.3 liter Fox can only take a 9" clutch,

Aftermarket clutches for the 1966-1977 Bronco 170/200 , 1969.5-1973, 1969.5 to 1978 Maverick 170/200 3.03 trans.and Early Bronco guys have an off the shelf 9.25" clutch for the 3.03 layshaft center Toploder trans.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...ord-bronco-new

But it won't fit inside a D9BC-6392 CA or E1ZR-6394-AA bellhousing

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-Information