Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I think he was kidding. You will need originals when going for thoroughbred judging down the road, which I hope for one day with my 89, that class or maybe survivor. A few years down the road, but, that's my thought process anyway.

QUOTE=bluemax;1430802]Not true. I have earned two Golds (in two trys) in MCA Concours Driven with my SVO and I am running Goodyear Eagles. A good friend of mine has received his grill medallion for MCA Concours Trailered for his SVO with the same type tires.

Does it help to have the "correct" tires, yes, but you can "win" without them.[/QUOTE]

FEP Power Member

For concours judging you only need the correct size and speed rating. They can be made in China. For unrestored they need to be the original manufacturer, size and speed rating. You do not need Gaterbacks for MCA judging! That said, we do need one good tire in production with the Goodyear name. It might a well be the Gaterbacks as nothing else is well known such as the NCT.

I got dinged at the last show for having my driver set of BFGs on the car because I drove it to the unrestored class. Still got a Gold but you never know what else they will find.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I understand the origonal thing, but these tires wear very unevenly.
    Tires have improved so much since back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnake View Post
    It may not be the tread but the rubber compound they used. Perhaps these are much better. Not sure though.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

The judging criteria for 79-93 Concours categories for MCA is: correct size and correct brand.

I get point(s) off, since my car came new with CR78-14 RWL Goodyear Polysteel Radials. The equivalent size is 195-70-14. To my knowledge, Goodyear no longer makes a white letter radial in this size. I am running 205-70-14 BFGoodrich Radial TA's.

I do have a set of Goodyear Wingfoot HP's 195-70-14 RWL in the garage, but they are 15 years old, and I don't feel comfortable using them on long trips (which I will be making next weekend).
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnake View Post
    That is true overall, but in 225/60/15 there are few choices for a decent tire, so a huge chunk of all of those improvements you're not going to get/find if you want to stay with the stock tire size.

Probably still not worth the high cost, but if you want to make use of modern tires you need to jump up to at least a 16" wheel with a 17/18" being even better.

235 60 15 Cooper Cobra RWL = 100$ a tire. That's what I use.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    I don't like gatorbacks either. But they are necessary to win shows. Plus they beat all the other tires out there, considering most 225-60-15's today are rated too low and built too poorly in some sweat shop in Asia.
    Only brand and size are required for MCA.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Worst tire ever made in the history of tires. I had a set that were factory installed on a car I owned back in 1986. I will never understand why anyone would spend all that time and at LEAST $50 to enter a show to win a $25 trophy. Who cares? I would rather actually have fun with my cars but that is what makes the world go around. Some people don't mind paying for tags, taxes and insurance on an object they tow around and push on to a show field. Life is too short to push a car off and on a trailer so you can get a plastic award to me. Just my opinion. There are obviously millions and millions of different opinions.

^^Worst tire EVER??^^ Judging from experience, I'd say second to worst tire....behind the TRX!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    ^^Worst tire EVER??^^ Judging from experience, I'd say second to worst tire....behind the TRX!
    I would totally agree with you there! The TRX = Hockey Puck!!! They look great but absolutely horrible in the rain, snow, ice or mud...

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Worst tire ever made in the history of tires. I had a set that were factory installed on a car I owned back in 1986. I will never understand why anyone would spend all that time and at LEAST $50 to enter a show to win a $25 trophy. Who cares? I would rather actually have fun with my cars but that is what makes the world go around. Some people don't mind paying for tags, taxes and insurance on an object they tow around and push on to a show field. Life is too short to push a car off and on a trailer so you can get a plastic award to me. Just my opinion. There are obviously millions and millions of different opinions.
    Usually the individuals who have the means for a truck-trailer-trailered show car also have at least 1 "driver" they get their kicks out of behind the wheel.

I dunno
    Michelin TRX tires got me around safely every day in the 80's rain, snow.
    If they did not rim leak and were inexpensive, would still drive with them.
    Goodyear Eagles on my 85 LTD LX were the worse. Overpriced old tech T/A's not far behind.
    Currently have Firestone P Sport on turbines. Very good traction in rain.
    Of course, it is not a V8.

And now you can get 10 hole wheels for those GY tires
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12