Close

Default Think I found a 83 Black Magic

Hey all! I think I might have found a 83 BM Capri.
    About 3 years ago,a friend of a friend etc. mentioned the whereabouts of a Capri that has been sitting and the owner was looking to get rid of the car.
    On my never ending search for parts to some day be able to put a shell together that I acquired a few years ago,I tried to get in contact with the owner.
    Fast forward 3 years,I finally got in contact with the Capri owner to go check the car out.
    The car was at the back of a 40 acre overgrown property,and has been sitting for at least 10 years.
    I snapped one picture,and grabbed the buck tag. It actually doesn't look too bad at this point,but I didn't get a chance to really look at the car. Seats,and carpet are horrendous. Huge snake skins in the interior,and smelled horrible.The right front frame rail is pretty much gone. Motor and trans are non existent . Only rust I seen on body are at the bottom of the rt front fender,hatch,and hood.
    It looks to be a 83 t-top Black Magic. Supposedly it was a v8 4spd car.

I am going to buy the car,but to get it home involves cutting trees down,and dragging it down an overgrown fire trail.Its about 800 feet in the woods.We will see how it goes. Thankfully,I am off today and tomorrow.

I will get some pictures up hopefully tonight.
    Chris

Here is the Buck tag info:
    Capri
    61D
    F
    TR
    1CC
    DF
    ST
    AC
    HB
    S
    CAT
    PW
    MOD
    V
    ELECTRIC-A
    NLR
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CH/86%20Coupe/

It is a Black Magic. Good luck with the rescue operation. Oh and
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by IR8NOTCH View Post
    Hey all! I think I might have found a 83 BM Capri.
    About 3 years ago,a friend of a friend etc. mentioned the whereabouts of a Capri that has been sitting and the owner was looking to get rid of the car.
    On my never ending search for parts to some day be able to put a shell together that I acquired a few years ago,I tried to get in contact with the owner.
    Fast forward 3 years,I finally got in contact with the Capri owner to go check the car out.
    The car was at the back of a 40 acre overgrown property,and has been sitting for at least 10 years.
    I snapped one picture,and grabbed the buck tag. It actually doesn't look too bad at this point,but I didn't get a chance to really look at the car. Seats,and carpet are horrendous. Huge snake skins in the interior,and smelled horrible.The right front frame rail is pretty much gone. Motor and trans are non existent . Only rust I seen on body are at the bottom of the rt front fender,hatch,and hood.
    It looks to be a 83 t-top Black Magic. Supposedly it was a v8 4spd car.

I am going to buy the car,but to get it home involves cutting trees down,and dragging it down an overgrown fire trail.Its about 800 feet in the woods.We will see how it goes. Thankfully,I am off today and tomorrow.

I will get some pictures up hopefully tonight.
    Chris

Here is the Buck tag info:
    Capri
    61D
    F
    TR
    1CC
    DF
    ST
    AC
    HB
    S
    CAT
    PW
    MOD
    V
    ELECTRIC-A
    NLR
    I actually typed this up yesterday before I left to go get the car,and shut my puter down before I posted it.
    I actually drug the car out last night,and got it home around 10:30 pm.
    I am going to give it a good blast with the pressure washer today to see what I have. Body wise,it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was. Definitely needs a frame rail from the tower forward.The floor pans need some attention behind the driver and passenger seat. Rt front fender,hood,and hatch.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    It is a Black Magic. Good luck with the rescue operation. Oh and
    I will try my best to get some pics up by tonight.
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Buck Tag
    CAPRI = Capri model line
    602978 = 2,978th 1983 Capri scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61D = Capri 3-dr sedan (hatchback)
    F = 5.0L engine
    TR = T-roof
    008_ = body & paint assembly line rotations # 008_
    1CC = Black exterior
    DF
    ST
    AC = air conditioner
    HB = heated abcklite (rear defrost)
    S = fingertip speed conttrol (cruise conrol)
    CAT = Black Magic option
    PW = power side windows (no power locks)
    MOD = Tremec manual overdrive transmisison (SROD)
    V = visibility/light group
    ELECTRIC
    -A = Black interior
    NLR
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Let me know if you can get a pic of, or data typed out from, the door tag, and I will add that additional info to the database. Also let me know if you find a build sheet or owner card. Thanks.

Have fun with your new cat!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Let me know if you can get a pic of, or data typed out from, the door tag, and I will add that additional info to the database. Also let me know if you find a build sheet or owner card. Thanks.

Have fun with your new cat!
    The door tag isn't legible at all. Just a remnant of the glue basically.

I gave it a quick clean up outside,and started on the inside.I actually had to pull the seats out of the car due to ant infestation. It looked like something from Animal Planet.The back seats were full of holes with ants pouring out of them. The seats,and carpet are trash and smell like a dead animal!
    I then moved onto pulling the carpet up to see how the floors looked. Sad to say,I am sick to my stomach they are so bad.Most of the driver side floor pan is resting in my shop vac.Passenger is just as bad less the big gaping holes.Under rear seat bottom is like tin foil,and the spare tire well is toast.It would be convenient if I had to get to the fuel sender. Haha.

Mother Nature sure had a good time with this car. I am going to dig deeper tomorrow,and take the carpet out to see what I have. I was hoping the car was a diamond in the rough. I just never thought it was going to be this bad.

Not sure what is going happen with it at this point. I have a solid straight 86 5.0 Capri shell with a title sitting in primer that I bought off this board a few years ago that I was hoping to be able to finish with parts from this car. That was until I found out it was a 83 BM.

I will keep everyone posted.Pictures on the way.
    Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Last edited by IR8NOTCH; 08-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Talking

Looks good,do you know if it's been painted in the past? It's missing the Cat
    Head,s on the front finders.Lots of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jenkins View Post
    Looks good,do you know if it's been painted in the past? It's missing the Cat
    Head,s on the front finders.Lots of potential.
    Yes,It has been painted in the past.

Its actually very rough! The pictures make it look a whole lot better than it is unfortunately.

I pulled the carpet this morning on to find more rust damage!

The step in the rear floor where the rear seats sit is in poor shape. Large crack across the middle behind the seam,and many rust holes. The front floor pan rust runs up under the dash onto the firewall as far as I could see on the driver and passenger side. I totally expect holes in the lower cowl panel,but wont know until I pull the dash.

I pulled the tops out only to find the t-top frame is rusted bad enough that the lip where seal sits is partially gone. It looks like that will need to be replaced as well.
    That's as far as I got before it started raining!

I am totally bummed about the condition of this car.
    It has a lot going against it.
    Every piece of floor pan has substantial rust damage.
    Possibly needs a complete passenger frame rail and bottom part of tower.
    I suspect the cowl having damage due to rust on inside of firewall.
    T-Top frame needs repair,or replacement.
    Seats,carpet ,and door panels are destroyed.
    Previous owner is "Trying" to find the title,or any documentation that would help him acquire a replacement title(it went off the road during a divorce).
    Before laying eyes on the car,my original intent was to buy it for parts to finish my 86 Capri since the previous owner was going to scrap it. The outside of the car looks fair,but the years of moss and mildew it was covered in gave me false hopes.lol

I am not sure what I am going to do with the car at this point. I would hate to use it for parts.But it would get me closer to finishing my "solid" 86 Capri 5.0 shell that I have been working on part time for the last couple of years.
    Or I could offer it up to someone for what I paid for it that would like restore the car to what it once was,or has a 83 BM that could use it towards that.

The car a this point is much more of a project than I am willing to undertake. If I didn't already have a few other projects going on I might have considered it.
    We'll see.

I will get some more pictures of the car once it stops raining.

Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Damn that's rough. Looks like you've visited all the normal problem stops with these cars except for the cowl and the heater box. Given all the vermin you've found so far, I'd be very careful looking in the heater box. Probably full of mouse turds.

Frame rail isn't that big of a job to replace (LRS sells replacement parts now!), but I don't know about the t-top frames.

Good luck and keep us posted about what you decide.

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Damn that's rough. Looks like you've visited all the normal problem stops with these cars except for the cowl and the heater box. Given all the vermin you've found so far, I'd be very careful looking in the heater box. Probably full of mouse turds.

Frame rail isn't that big of a job to replace (LRS sells replacement parts now!), but I don't know about the t-top frames.

Good luck and keep us posted about what you decide.

Chris
    I wish it was just the frame rail. I actually have a good one here that I picked up back in the day for another project. The inner cowl/heater box area is in bad shape. I just went out after the rain stopped and the jute liner behind the heater box was dripping. I pulled the cowl grille and vacuumed tons of leaves,acorns,etc. I also got a lot of scaly rust and old paint. Someone must have had the hood fly up at some point (probably why the front end was repainted) and fixed the cowl with about a half inch of bondo.

I will keep everyone posted. Worst case scenario is the car will become a donor for my 86.I hope it won't have an identity crisis.Haha
    Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Blog Entries

I love these cars- but that sucker is all done. Pull all the parts and turn your '86 into a black magic Capri. Use all the '83 parts on your '86 chassis- nose, etc.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    I love these cars- but that sucker is all done. Pull all the parts and turn your '86 into a black magic Capri. Use all the '83 parts on your '86 chassis- nose, etc.
    I love them too! That's why I was so happy to get my hands on one. I like the 85-86 Capri's also but like the look of the squared off moldings on the 79-84 just a little better!

If I wind up using the car for parts,I will probably do exactly that!

Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

You're one brave dude. I commend your willingness to bring it back to life, but, boy what an adventure you have on your hands. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    You're one brave dude. I commend your willingness to bring it back to life, but, boy what an adventure you have on your hands. Best of luck.
    Haha.Not sure that I am going on that adventure. The car is just too rough,and needs too much to bring it back to what it was.
    Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

I wish it was just the frame rail. I actually have a good one here that I picked up back in the day for another project. The inner cowl/heater box area is in bad shape. I just went out after the rain stopped and the jute liner behind the heater box was dripping. I pulled the cowl grille and vacuumed tons of leaves,acorns,etc. I also got a lot of scaly rust and old paint. Someone must have had the hood fly up at some point (probably why the front end was repainted) and fixed the cowl with about a half inch of bondo.

I will keep everyone posted. Worst case scenario is the car will become a donor for my 86.I hope it won't have an identity crisis.Haha
    Chris
    AS much as I hate to say it sounds like she's had it. Use what you can,sell
    what you can & don't need. Very hard decision,it would be a lot of work to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jenkins View Post
    AS much as I hate to say it sounds like she's had it. Use what you can,sell
    what you can & don't need. Very hard decision,it would be a lot of work to fix.
    Definitely sucks. If I had some sentimental value in it,I am sure I would restore it. But for just a car to build and have fun with/enjoy it just needs too much.
    Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Yes,It has been painted in the past.

Its actually very rough! The pictures make it look a whole lot better than it is unfortunately.

I pulled the carpet this morning on to find more rust damage!

The step in the rear floor where the rear seats sit is in poor shape. Large crack across the middle behind the seam,and many rust holes. The front floor pan rust runs up under the dash onto the firewall as far as I could see on the driver and passenger side. I totally expect holes in the lower cowl panel,but wont know until I pull the dash.

I pulled the tops out only to find the t-top frame is rusted bad enough that the lip where seal sits is partially gone. It looks like that will need to be replaced as well.
    That's as far as I got before it started raining!

I am totally bummed about the condition of this car.
    It has a lot going against it.
    Every piece of floor pan has substantial rust damage.
    Possibly needs a complete passenger frame rail and bottom part of tower.
    I suspect the cowl having damage due to rust on inside of firewall.
    T-Top frame needs repair,or replacement.
    Seats,carpet ,and door panels are destroyed.
    Previous owner is "Trying" to find the title,or any documentation that would help him acquire a replacement title(it went off the road during a divorce).
    Before laying eyes on the car,my original intent was to buy it for parts to finish my 86 Capri since the previous owner was going to scrap it. The outside of the car looks fair,but the years of moss and mildew it was covered in gave me false hopes.lol

I am not sure what I am going to do with the car at this point. I would hate to use it for parts.But it would get me closer to finishing my "solid" 86 Capri 5.0 shell that I have been working on part time for the last couple of years.
    Or I could offer it up to someone for what I paid for it that would like restore the car to what it once was,or has a 83 BM that could use it towards that.

The car a this point is much more of a project than I am willing to undertake. If I didn't already have a few other projects going on I might have considered it.
    We'll see.

I will get some more pictures of the car once it stops raining.

Chris
    that car needs alot of work and $$$ use it as a parts car

FEP Senior Member blackmagicman's Avatar

i love blackmagics but my friend that ones done use what you need and sell off the rest i think we all agree if you do part ill buy the gold turbine wheels and the drivers quarter panel if its any good that will get my blackmagic closer at least it would go to a good cause pm me if interested everyone on here knows i love them but shes too far friend. im on longisland not far from nj
    current stable:1981 blackmagic capri gt40 crate engine 5spd 12.7@109mph.150 shot nos gt40 heads 3.55 gears
    1981 blackmagic capri 2.3 liter 5spd project car goin turbo , daily driver 2004 chevy silverado 4x4

IR8

Bryan is a good guy who really loves the Black Cats - His own car is proof of that . His aim is to create and preserve which these rare cars deserve

You are also getting sound advice from someone who knows these cars well. From the looks of your pics the cost of replacing, given it is even possible from what I see here, the major Structural components , would become a financial nightmare by itself. Forget the amount of labor that would be needed to revive this car.

Obviously your heart is in the right place and you intent is certainly good.

But take it from a guy who brought back a 1967 Shelby 30 years ago with about 1/5 of the structural problems the Cat is showing. You would be at this for a considerable amount of time.

As much as the Black Cat is a rare car - It was neglected for far too long -

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicman View Post
    i love blackmagics but my friend that ones done use what you need and sell off the rest i think we all agree if you do part ill buy the gold turbine wheels and the drivers quarter panel if its any good that will get my blackmagic closer at least it would go to a good cause pm me if interested everyone on here knows i love them but shes too far friend. im on longisland not far from nj
    I will definitely keep you in mind! The gold turbines are horrible shape.
    I am going to pull the dash in the next day or so to see just how bad the cowl area is. The car will most likely be used to put my 86 together,but I don't want to regret not giving it a chance if it could be saved.

I will keep this thread posted!

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    IR8

Bryan is a good guy who really loves the Black Cats - His own car is proof of that . His aim is to create and preserve which these rare cars deserve

You are also getting sound advice from someone who knows these cars well. From the looks of your pics the cost of replacing, given it is even possible from what I see here, the major Structural components , would become a financial nightmare by itself. Forget the amount of labor that would be needed to revive this car.

Obviously your heart is in the right place and you intent is certainly good.

But take it from a guy who brought back a 1967 Shelby 30 years ago with about 1/5 of the structural problems the Cat is showing. You would be at this for a considerable amount of time.

As much as the Black Cat is a rare car - It was neglected for far too long -
    I totally agree! The car has definitely been neglected for much too long. Almost anything can be saved in my opinion,and I have seen cars on this board in possibly worse shape be put back together. I commend those that do that! I have resurrected some seriously neglected,and rusted vehicles in the past,and I definitely think I am capable of reviving the car start to finish. But I also think this car is at a point where I would be foolish to invest the kind of money,and time into it that it needs to be a perfect example of a Black Magic. A pristine example of this car would easily be cheaper to buy,and that isn't the type of car that I want as an end result anyway. Maybe one day,but definitely not now!

Im just happy that others are seeing what I'm seeing!
    I would never part something that had a decent chance! I have actually lost my bottom on cars numerous times by selling it cheaper to someone that would appreciate and fix it,rather than sell it to someone that wanted it for parts and scrap.

Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

Nice save. Definitely is rough, but still is savable. It's an 83 5.0 4spd ttop BM for crying out loud! lol

If you do part it out, there are a few things that my 83 BM needs...
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert