Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to deal with abandoned car

Ok this might be a bit of a rant but tell me what you all would do in this situation. Has to be legal.

About a year ago a buddy of mine blew the transmission in his chevy pickup. At the time he was getting kicked out of his now ex's house and needed a place to put it so he could work on it. So I allowed it to be towed to my house. I have 2 acres so it's not like I am tripping over it. Anyway I went out of my way and bought him the transmission he needed for his truck. He is unemployeed and I figured I'd help him get back on his feet again and just pay me for the trans later when he got a job. I bought the trans a few weeks after the truck showed up at my house. Since then all that has been done was the old trans was taken out. That's it. I've been nice about it and let it go until now. I've asked him repeatedly when is he going to get it running so it can leave my yard. Always some excuse as to why he can't. Or he tells me he will be here a certain day at a certain time and then never shows. He lived in walking distance from my house. Takes him 15 mins to walk here. I have every tool here he would possibly need and I have offered to help him put the new trans in. Still nothing. Today while in town I seen him driving another friend of mines car and he gave me the finger. WTF. Well I want this truck out of my yard. I'm tired of asking for it to go. What can I do? Has to be legal.

I've done everything short of put the transmission in my self for him. It's a 2 wheel drive truck so it should only take 2 hours tops now that the old trans is out. I will not be putting it in for him.
    Last edited by freelancenoob; 07-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Push truck out in the street, tell the cops it has been abandoned. They tow it, your not so good friend has to pay to get it back. Sell the trans you bought for it. Get better friends. Drink some beers with money from trans sale with your new friends.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Push it out onto the street and call the city on an abandoned vehicle.

Better yet, drag it the few minutes to where he is living, and drop it on the street there. That way he can watch it being towed away.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Put a for sale sign in it ... lol

I would be parting it out and then cut it up into 1/4's for the scrap yard imo

If he would have flipped me the bird, I prolly would have run him down and beat his ass, but thats just me I dont always make the best desisions lol

Mustang junky has the right idea with the beer
    stock 00 explorer 5.0 with 120k,comp XE274HR cam Edelbrock preformer air,fms shorty headers,x pipe and 40 series,under drive pullies, fresh t-5,king cobra 10.5 clutch,Hurst short throw shifter,fms alumin drive shaft, bbk frame conectors, 8.8 4;10 , MM camber caster plates, MM XD ADJ lower control arms

Put it in the street, call the city about an abandoned vehicle. It would be more hassle to try and put a lein on the vehicle to get the title.

Sell the trans you purchased, and as others have said, I wouldn't consider that one a friend.

I would give you friend just one last chance and tell him if he doesn't move his arse soon that you'll have the truck towed away as an abandoned vehicle. If he doesn't respond or come over to sort it out in a reasonable period of time - which is up to you, then have it towed away. As for the spare transmission, you paid for it, so you can do what you want with it. Put it up for sale on CL or something.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Push it out onto the street and call the city on an abandoned vehicle.

Better yet, drag it the few minutes to where he is living, and drop it on the street there. That way he can watch it being towed away.
    Also put it near a youre drive way entrance or fire hydrant then it will be a safety issue and towed quickly,if not it will get a orange sticker and sit for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancenoob View Post
    Today while in town I seen him driving another friend of mines car
    His lack of motivation is this. Doesn't need the truck if he has transportation.
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenoob View Post
    and he gave me the finger. WTF.
    Don't know what his mental state is. You may want to call your other friend and let him know that Flip has a new transmission for his truck that just needs to be installed that you paid for. Might get a better idea of what's going on with Flip by talking to your friend who lent the car out.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

The only problem is "it has to be legal". lol

FEP Power Member

You may want to check into legal statutes in your state. In most cases, property that is abandoned can be claimed by 2nd party. Mail him a certified letter or two to prove you have communicated with him with regard to moving the property. Word it so that the initial date of placement of the vehicle onto your property is clearly stated in the letter so it establishes a clear timeline. My guess is he'll ignore it. Then you can petition for transfer of ownership into your name, put in the new tranny, and voila!!! You have a truck!

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I would give you friend just one last chance and tell him if he doesn't move his arse soon that you'll have the truck towed away as an abandoned vehicle. If he doesn't respond or come over to sort it out in a reasonable period of time - which is up to you, then have it towed away. As for the spare transmission, you paid for it, so you can do what you want with it. Put it up for sale on CL or something.
    I agree with this. It is a fair and ethical way of dealing with your friend.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

I'd turn it into a flower pot. But that's just me.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Personally I don't care what he does with the truck. I just don't want it sitting here not being able to move it around the yard to mow. Now if he was making an attempt at fixing it I wouldn't care as much. But he hasn't touched it in the last 6 months. I myself have no interest in the truck. So claiming the truck for myself is pointless. If somone came along and offered me 10 bucks it's theirs. Just really makes me mad how some go out of their way to help a friend and then for them to pull something like this. I'll probably just get ahold of him and give him 30 days to either fix it or tow it.

what kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? it may not be worth anything. if not out in the street it goes. if it has some value then go about the registered letter route and sell it when its yours.
    85 rs capri (gone)(tbi car)
    86 gt. (cat pee car is gone)
    85 capri rs
    84 coupri,cfi,aod sold
    61 thunderbird

non ford
    70 GMC
    76 MGB

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    I agree with this. It is a fair and ethical way of dealing with your friend.

I might normally agree if it weren't for the finger part. I would put it out on the street and then call him so at least he was notified. If you wanted something other than legal options, I could come up with a few creative ways of dealing with this bozo. I wouldn't consider him a friend at all.
    1985 SVO 4e
    1985 SVO 9L "Hertz"
    1985 SVO 2R T-top
    1985 SVO 2R
    1985 GT 'Vert Silver
    1985 GT Vert Light Regatta Blue
    1986 SVO 1C
    1986 GT 4E 'Vert
    1966 GT 'Vert
    2003 Mach1

If this were me.....................

Call him ONE more time.....give him a 7 days to get the truck.......if not it goes to the street and towed....period. Sell other trans and don't do him any more favors EVER.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Was the finger given as a joke? I flip my buddies off all the time (and they do it to me) as a funnier greeting rather than just waiving. That doesn't excuse his apathy towards fixing and moving the vehicle. If its been that long he had obviously found reliable transportation somewhere and he doesn't care about the truck. If I was you I would send one last letter (or phone call) letting him know that the end is near for his pos residing at your place. Set a reasonable time frame for him to pick it up (without the transmission) and if he doesn't, decide if you want to get it picked up as an abandoned vehicle, or try to gain ownership (with the intent to sell).

The last thing I would do is give him that transmission. I would try and sell it and put the money into your car. His actions don't deserve anymore than the free parking lot you gave him, he needs to get it going on his own (or at least towed). I've bought things for people before (either because they were short on cash, or didn't have a credit card, etc) and they assured me they would pay me right back...but didn't. It sucks, and all you can do is try and recover your loss and learn a lesson. I won't do anything like that again and I'm sure you won't either.

Good luck
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Or just say, "when do you want me to drop off the scrap check for your truck?". That will get his attention.

If he cries, just tell him you assumed he didn't want it any more and that the least you could do is send it to the heap.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Another vote for put it in the street.
    86 GT vert

Projects: 1994 roller named Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by SVOKip View Post
    I might normally agree if it weren't for the finger part. I would put it out on the street and then call him so at least he was notified. If you wanted something other than legal options, I could come up with a few creative ways of dealing with this bozo. I wouldn't consider him a friend at all.
    The one thing about the finger bit...it's not a contest to see who can be the bigger jerk. It is all about moving a piece of personal property that the OP doesn't own and giving proper notice (to address the legalities the OP was concerned with) to the owner before putting it on the street.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I have been known to flip off my friends too. But if he's in that lazy state of mind he may need a wake up call. I would tell him he's got a week to do something with it before you have it towed away as abandoned. Granted it may take him more than a week to put a trans in if he's not mechanically inclined but he should at least show some effort. Of course maybe the truck legally belongs to his ex!
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I would call and tell him he has 2 weeks to move it or it is going in the street for the police to deal with. Sounds like the finger was intentional to me and the way you would be handling it is better then he deserves, the jerk off!

He is most likely pissed you haven't fixed it for him yet! What are you waiting for?!?! That thing isn't going to fix itself! (whip sound!)

You sound like a really nice guy and you deserve better friends then this

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Power Member

The only person I flip off when I see them is my pastor. Maybe a gang member or two also when I'm in downtown Atlanta. Every now and thennn, a cop, but only if he's staring at me or something. Other than that, it is rude and shouldnt be done.

Well I thought I was being a decent friend by allowing him to put it here and for buying the stuff he needed to get it running. That's what friends are for right? Someone to count on when in need? Guy lost his job, ex broke up with him, and he has a kid. I figured that getting him on his feet would be the best thing, especially for his kid. But he doesn't want to work. Just wants to kick back and collect unemployment. Well I wash my hands of it all. Come to find out the guy that lent him the car to use today is my best friend who already knows the situation with the truck.

The truck is in his name. I know this because it is my old truck I sold to him for like $200 years ago. Another situation where he needed a hand and I gave him the truck and did payments. I had just got a new vehicle at the time so why did I need 2 pickups. Maybe he is blaming me for his driving habbits and thinks it my fault the trans went. I dunno.

You took payments on a $200 truck? You have already done enough for this guy. Push the truck into the street and wash your hands of this looser. Sounds like he would not return the favors you have done for him if your positions were reversed.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast