Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default just picked up an 84 Turbo GT, have a few questions

hey guys, i recently picked up this car as a daily driver, tho im having title issues atm. anyway, i drove it to work for the first time to throw it up on a lift and take a peak under the skirt. 100% rust free!! im thrilled. im assuming you want pictures, so here ya go:
    [IMG]the pics are ridiculously large, my apologies[/IMG]

i picked it up as a DD from my uncle ($1500) so i can rebuild that '91 you see there. that's been my daily for about 5 years now since i've built it, so its fallen to shambles.

[IMG]obligatory power plant shot[/IMG]

ive only have a couple of things i need to address, otherwise its a solid car. first and foremost, under boost, about 3500 up, it starts to howl, very very loudly, louder than the turbo, is this normal, just air rushing through the intake ducting?

second, any tips on quick, cheap tweaks? should i start with an intercooler?

Also, what are some options for blow off valves? I'd like a super-sequential style (typical on sti's and such) I've never had a boosted car, and I'm liking all the new noises and such, figured I'd have a little fun with it.

l get more pics if you'd like, just need my girlfriends DLSR to get some decent shots.

EDIT: In respect of the car, the previous owner who went through all the work to keep it cherry, and the mustang culture that I love dearly, I'm keeping it stock, will probably try to find OEM parts to get it up to pa state inspectable level, and baby as a daily. I'm fortunate enough to have had this fall into my lap, might as well do it right. Thanks guys

Also, I'm a mechanic by trade, so it'll all be done correctly haha.

Edited Title 1/8/2013
    Last edited by Spoolin'; 12-08-2013 at 04:04 PM.

LA3 swap, 35lb injectors, large VAM, K&N or similar on the VAM.
    Upgraded fuel pump(s).
    Manual Boost Controller.
    E6 exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe, exhaust.
    Front mount Intercooler and BOV/BPV.

That's pretty much what I'd do, in that order. The non-intercooled setup will go a long way, and a decent intercooler isn't a cheap upgrade any way you slice it. In fact the intercooler was probably the most disappointing modification I've made...
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by Spoolin' View Post
    hey guys, i recently picked up this car as a daily driver, tho im having title issues atm. anyway, i drove it to work for the first time to throw it up on a lift and take a peak under the skirt. 100% rust free!! im thrilled. im assuming you want pictures, so here ya go:
    [IMG]the pics are ridiculously large, my apologies[/IMG]

i picked it up as a DD from my uncle ($1500) so i can rebuild that '91 you see there. that's been my daily for about 5 years now since i've built it, so its fallen to shambles.

[IMG]obligatory power plant shot[/IMG]

ive only have a couple of things i need to address, otherwise its a solid car. first and foremost, under boost, about 3500 up, it starts to howl, very very loudly, louder than the turbo, is this normal, just air rushing through the intake ducting?

second, any tips on quick, cheap tweaks? should i start with an intercooler?

Also, what are some options for blow off valves? I'd like a super-sequential style (typical on sti's and such) I've never had a boosted car, and I'm liking all the new noises and such, figured I'd have a little fun with it.

l get more pics if you'd like, just need my girlfriends DLSR to get some decent shots.
    All excited about it being unmolested! Thats a good thing!

Then don't be the dope who molests it. It will be the shambles that your other one is, in short order, once you start dorkin' with it.

You said its going to be a daily driver. IMHO, you are not doing you or your car any favors by "playing" with it, only saying since its a nice un-molested car now, its old and needs some TLC and not bunch of tuner mods to turn it into some beater to go out a get whipped. Right?

I think 83-84 Turbo's are going to be the nearest thing to being collectors models of the that era and should be kept as clean as possible and not beat into the ground 28 years later. Just my humble opinion. Carry on!
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

Quote Originally Posted by bosscar View Post

Then don't be the dope who molests it. It will be the shambles that your other one is, in short order, once you start dorkin' with it.

You said its going to be a daily driver. IMHO, you are not doing you or your car any favors by "playing" with it, only saying since its a nice un-molested car now, its old and needs some TLC and not bunch of tuner mods to turn it into some beater to go out a get whipped. Right?

I think 83-84 Turbo's are going to be the nearest thing to being collectors models of the that era and should be kept as clean as possible and not beat into the ground 28 years later. Just my humble opinion. Carry on!
    I'm going to second that response. It's always great to find an all original unmolested car, but it is always a bit of a shock to me when the initial response is to change or modify it the minute you get it home. At least take some time to learn about what you've got and how it should work before modifying it. The fact that you plan to drive it every day would suggest to me that the more you know about it and how simple the stock setup is, you may find that you might change your mind about modifying it.

When I first stumbled across my Turbo GT, I wasn't looking for one and was quite intimidated by the turbo. Once I asked some questions about it and bought the original Ford shop manuals to educate myself, I felt a lot more familiar with how it works and all the more comfortable with it.

Welcome to FEP and please take the time to truly understand the value of what you already have before going any further.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

X2 !
    If it ain't broke....
    ----------------------------------
    '85.5 SVO 1B
    '89 GT Convertible / 5 Speed (not a 4-eye, but I won't tell if you won't)
    '85 GT T-Top 5.0 / 5 Speed (sold)

Don't be the dope who molests it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I'm going to second that response.
    Quote Originally Posted by dznj View Post
    If it ain't broke...
    Agreed. The urge to immediately start modifying an old, rare, and unmolested car, just shows a lack of experience. It looks like your uncle was a mature owner who knew better than to "build" his rare car. So how about taking his strategy to the next level, by restoring without modifications.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

I am with the rest of the crowd, something as finicky as the 2.3T, leave it alone specifically if you want it to be reliable. If you have the urge to modify something, get another 5.0 car and pass along the Turbo car.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

FEP Senior Member

Don't mess with it-please, that is if you are going to perhaps sell it when your other car is done. Personally I don't even look at cars that have been modified to buy, and I bet most everyone else here would rather buy an original car too.

That looks to be a Copper car which is pretty unique. Do you want to make a $1000 quick profit? Where are you located?
    Last edited by MAPSVO; 07-30-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Very nice car, congrats!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Ohh wow. Tan interior even. There can't have been hardly any of those made. Very nice ride and very nice price.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Ohh wow. Tan interior even. There can't have been hardly any of those made. Very nice ride and very nice price.
    If this car is indeed Bright Copper in color, the Fox Mustang Recognition Guide shows that only 108 Turbo GT hatchbacks were produced for the 1984 model year.
    Bryan

Looks like a nice car. I'm with the rest. Don't over mod it. Looks like you need a heater core. And it looks like it has Ac so that means selling the dash
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Quote Originally Posted by 83rsturbo View Post
    Looks like a nice car. I'm with the rest. Don't over mod it. Looks like you need a heater core. And it looks like it has Ac so that means selling the dash
    You mean pulling the dash instead of selling it, yes?
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

It's a match for mine I bet, I need a pair!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

To everyone saying don't fux with it, I am definitely keeping it as stock and reliable as possible, I was only looking for minor little weeks, I'm not gonna be hacking it apart, and yeah, I was the one who discovered the dead heater corw, not looking forward to that.

I wanna keep this car in tip top shape, and keep it daily drive able, so thank you for that awesome parts list, but ill have to save those for if I find another sometime.

This car is rare, and Im not looking for another fast stang. The 91 get me enough tickets as it is. And I was under the impression that a BOV would be a minor mod, that only just changes the sound.

Thank you everyone for expressing your concerns about keeling it unmolested, good to know that there are those who still respect stock foxes.

And unfortunately, I love this car already, so I'm not sellin good luck on your hunt!
    Last edited by Spoolin'; 07-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Nice car! Love it! You could always sell it for someone who would want it for not a daily driver, and you could buy a Honda, no disrespect, but it is a very rare car.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

By the by...

Make sure to post more pics. I'd love to see more!
    Bryan

first and foremost, under boost, about 3500 up, it starts to howl, very very loudly, louder than the turbo, is this normal, just air rushing through the intake ducting?
    More than likely it is a stock turbo, these turbo's were oil cooled only. Which makes more sound than one being water cooled. If it has an open air filter on the vam, it will make more sound also.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    You mean pulling the dash instead of selling it, yes?
    yes sorry was on my phone. I meant pulling it
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Ill have those picks up as soon as I can! Ill also post up the vin a bit later if anyone's interested.

In case anyone was wondering, my initial plan from the get go was to keep it stock, because I realize how hard it is to find a clean fox like this. I've had friends who've been trying to talk me into other wise. Its such a cool car, I would feel pretty guilty doing it any other way, now that I think about.

In case anyone was wondering, my initial plan from the get go was to keep it stock, because I realize how hard it is to find a clean fox like this. I've had friends who've been trying to talk me into other wise. Its such a cool car, I would feel pretty guilty doing it any other way, now that I think about.
    Sounds good. Mustangs unfortunately are some of the most frequently-bastardized cars ever made, so of course some of your friends expect you to dive in and tear things up. But that's just a kid's mentality. They probably don't understand how so many of us on here can look at the pic of your two cars and think that the stock look of the rare '84 blows away the modded '91 behind it.

So for now (in my opinion), don't even think about blow-off valves or any of that. Start by fixing the car's problems, and then drive it for a while. Get used to how it feels and sounds when everything is in good shape and working properly. And then later on, after you're really familiar with the car, if you still want to make changes, just be sure that the mods are easily reversible, and don't get rid of any original parts.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    Sounds good. Mustangs unfortunately are some of the most frequently-bastardized cars ever made, so of course some of your friends expect you to dive in and tear things up. But that's just a kid's mentality. They probably don't understand how so many of us on here can look at the pic of your two cars and think that the stock look of the rare '84 blows away the modded '91 behind it.

So for now (in my opinion), don't even think about blow-off valves or any of that. Start by fixing the car's problems, and then drive it for a while. Get used to how it feels and sounds when everything is in good shape and working properly. And then later on, after you're really familiar with the car, if you still want to make changes, just be sure that the mods are easily reversible, and don't get rid of any original parts.
    Thanks for the kind words sir. And that was the key to this post originally, was easily reversable, minor mods, but like I said, its now officially a restoration project.

Do what you want. Rare or not, it's not like there is a mob of buyers with handfuls of cash breaking down the doors to buy 1984 Mustangs. I can fully understand leaving something stock, if that's what you want to do, but no one is going to hell for modifying a Mustang.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

nice car ... i always say i'm not going to mess any car i buy ,but i usually do...its your car ..have fun with it....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast