Close

Default Interesting 85 SVO, original (mostly) but weathered

It was someone's barn find ... technically the local pick your part is the one who sold it to me. It's weathered canyon red and has the most quaint purple 80's vinyl lettering stating "Fuel Injected" and "Intercooled Turbo". Makes me think it was a dealer showcase at one time.

There's no telling how long it was sitting.

The car is stock as far as I can tell, the only difference being parts removed from it like the A/C, power steering, and rear seat back.

One Koni needs r/r, as well as shocks on the engine (?!?).

I'll post picks in a bit when I re-size them.

But for now some random questions. How would I go about replacing the panel on the firewall the A/C hoses come through? Right now its a big hole right into the passenger well. It doesn't look easily removable without tearing it up.

The inner tie rod needs replacing. Are the inner tie rods unique to SVO? I can get them from a few places, but I don't know if they really care to make a difference.

Many thanks, I'll post the beautiful pictures as soon as I can.

[Update: It runs! Now we need to rebuild the front wheels and replace all the rubber (starting with the brake hoses).]
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Desert Patina; 07-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.

86 50CPRI

Chandler,AZ..craigslist? I saw it, but it was juuust out of reach.Good Luck with it!

Tie rod ends are not SVO specific.
    1970 U14 Bronco
    1983 911 SC
    Sold - 1986 SVO 1D #9823

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Chandler,AZ..craigslist? I saw it, but it was juuust out of reach.Good Luck with it!
    You have a good eye. It wound up being about 2 miles from me.

They listed "cranks but won't start", and that turned out to be an ECU relay completely rusted like a square brick, and the fuel pumps only turn when pounded.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm sure I'll still need it. I've been orbiting around SVO's since they came out, but the ins and outs of owning one is proving to be much different.

86 50CPRI

I've yet to come across one when it was do-able for me. I had a lead on one a number of months ago, but the deal fell through.This one I saw and was excited, but then 'life' happened..oh well. I have more than enough to keep busy with anyway. I saw an SVO the other day on the streets, and was really surprised, just because you hardly see them driving around. That unique factor is what hooked me with my Capri. If I can help at all, let me know.

Oh...and WELCOME to FEP!! Go introduce yourself in the new member area, and watch the jealousy grow about finding a 'barn find' SVO, especially bought from a 'pick a part' essentially intact. You lucked out!
    Last edited by 86 50CPRI; 07-21-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a Comp Prep SVO.
    2005 Mustang GT- 13.62 @102 All Stock- RIP 8-29-05 9:17 AM
    2003 Redfire Terminator
    1985 Mustang GT T-Top- Almost Done

Quote Originally Posted by floodstang View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a Comp Prep SVO.
    Another good eye, there Floodstang.

It is missing the bi-wing, A/C and radio. It has cloth seats.

However, they are legitimately missing. The brackets for the A/C condenser is still there, as well as the switches on the console. So are the holes for the bi-wing.

Speaking of which, if anyone has a oxidized old bi-wing to match the spoiler to sell me, I'd be interested.

FEP Member

WHen I first saw it (especially the later intake) I thought it was the ex Rob Sweet car !!

He traded me the car and $3500 for a 9L when I lived in Chandler an hour latter I traded it for a rusted 85 2R and $3500. Jason Harrington let the car go - last I saw it it was in an apartment lot in Tempe in very bad condition.

Again the log manifold was a tip (but in 1998 it had aero headlights)

I don't think it is the car as the 1984 decals look like they are older !
    Mark

P.S. Kind of funny there is another canyon red 84 in Phoenix that didn't have enough photos to see if that was my old car !

Mike Croke

We looked at that car at that Chandler pick and pull. Guy said he wanted $1800 but that was the first day it arrived. I tried to get it to start but couldn't hear the fuel pump come on with the key. Even jumped the fuel pump relay under the seat and couldn't hear anything. It did crank though.

As I remember, there were some stickers indicating it was used by a Texas university SAE student team? They might have been the ones who removed the climate control box and a/c.

Glad to see it has a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post
    But for now some random questions. How would I go about replacing the panel on the firewall the A/C hoses come through? Right now its a big hole right into the passenger well. It doesn't look easily removable without tearing it up.
    If I understand your question, you aren't planning on reinstalling the HVAC unit. If that is the case, then your best option is to either make a block off plate that can be screwed, bolted, or riveted in place to fill the hole left by the A/C & Heater Lines. If you plan on reinstalling the HVAC, then you won't need the block off plate.

The other option is to weld up the hole with a metal patch, but not sure if you want to go that route or not.

Congrats on the SVO and good luck with it!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas View Post
    Again the log manifold was a tip [...]
    Hmmm, that's another reference to the intake manifold. I must admit I'm not that familiar with the manifolds used on the SVO, are you all saying that manifold is not OEM 85? If not where did it come from?

Mike,

Wow, another person who looked at it. Luckily I got it for the Craigslist price. I'll look for the stickers next time I get to see it.

Wraith,

Thanks for the tip. I am planning on putting the r134a system sold at LRS in there when time/money permits. For now I'll just board it up as you suggest. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Desert Patina; 07-23-2012 at 08:24 AM.

FEP Member

Hmmm, that's another reference to the intake manifold. I must admit I'm not that familiar with the manifolds used on the SVO, are you all saying that manifold is not OEM 85? If not where did it come from?

Mike,
    When I see a car that has MULTIPLE changes from stock , rather than think "someone changed the manifold to the latter 85.5/86 style" I would just see if the entire motor was changed!

Seeing the latter water tubes to the turbo has me leaning toward this being a GF number engine on the pad. I' don't think they had an entire car as they didn't use the latter boost controller and kept some 84 parts (waterpump pulley, oil cap)

If the oil dipstick bracket doesn't match the manifold - then it was just a manifold swap. Seeing that they cut and spliced the brake booster line with a clamp - then there is a good chance that they did something similar IF it is a manifold swap (look at the fuel line ends)

Let us know HOW you are going about evaluating this car -before moving forward ! (The non running is likely a combo of varnished injectors and bad fuel combined with cars inability to get spark (with out some things fixed)

If you just want to see if it will run - you just need to fix the ground to the firewall, run a 12V wire to the positive of the coil and use starting fluid. (in that port for the brake booster with a small tube)

Mark
    P.S. I would put in gear depress the clutch and crank to see if the disc is "free" first. If the car lurches then you do have to get running and "brake free"!
    Last edited by TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas; 07-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.

(The non running is likely a combo of varnished injectors and bad fuel combined with cars inability to get spark (with out some things fixed)
    Sorry, I think you missed the post above that stated we got it running. Those pictures are three weeks old.

The main problem was the rusted ECU relay. As of last Thursday the tank is being emptied/washed and the fuel pumps replaced.

Your input is appreciated.

FEP Member

Sorry, I think you missed the post above that stated we got it running. Those pictures are three weeks old.

The main problem was the rusted ECU relay. As of last Thursday the tank is being emptied/washed and the fuel pumps replaced.

Your input is appreciated.
    Sorry got confused with the MANY SVO's found dead and being worked on now !
    (I have just gone through the same with my car)

Mark
    P.S. What did you use for a fuel pump on the rail? (I bought a Bosch but bought a 255 pump and am waiting on new Bundy fittings in larger MM size)

What did you use for a fuel pump on the rail? (I bought a Bosch but bought a 255 pump and am waiting on new Bundy fittings in larger MM size)
    I left that up to the good mechanics. But it was something that came up in their parts database as a direct replacement, and he got the more expensive of the two.

I can get more details tomorrow.

In the mean time, can someone post for me a picture of what the 84 / early 85 manifold should look like? I shy from admitting the intake I have is the only one I was expecting.

86 50CPRI

Congrats on the running! I wasnt aware either. I know you mentioned the EEC Relay, but said the fuel pump only worked when being hammered on. I didnt interpret that as a running car. WOOOOOO!!! Little by little, step by step.. Keep us going on the progress!

FEP Member

I didn't know you weren't doing the work yourself -thanks for finding out if they had to fab up fittings with their choices of pumps. My guess is they used what is available in the current replacement offerings at parts stores.

Please let me know though - as I am taking my pump off again (like the 5th time) as I don't like the fittings I used.

Here are some QUEs of the early motor (manifold and fuel pulse canister)

Boost controller ( I would look in the trunk for anything they left)

Here is another way to confirm that the car doesn't have an EF motor. (or at least the valve cover was changed too)

Mark
    Last edited by TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas; 07-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Many thanks for the pictures!

I'll get back to you as soon as I can on what I find out.

For the record, there is a point where I'm asking the mechanics to get it driveable for me, and I'll take over from there. I am not a bad mechanic, but I defer sometimes when I need a reliable and experienced job done.

FEP Member

Many thanks for the pictures!

I'll get back to you as soon as I can on what I find out.

For the record, there is a point where I'm asking the mechanics to get it driveable for me, and I'll take over from there. I am not a bad mechanic, but I defer sometimes when I need a reliable and experienced job done.
    No problem (just ask what you need and people will help)
    (there is someone here I that I visited in Gilbert to get an SVO running)

Mark
    P.S. Very smart as to getting away from a shop. (as you get to know the car you will find you are redoing their work)

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

that is a very interesting car...especially the added decals. good luck in getting her running, sounds like you are are your way!
    tony