Close

Thumbs up Restoring 10 Hole Wheels ...

Here is a video of Eastwood using one of their products to restore some ten holes, at the end of the video he also says that they are going to restore the Mustang too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDEfGvWBTGA
    Last edited by Forever; 07-28-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

I'll stick with my method. I actually take the time to remove the tire, take it to my local media blaster and pay $10/ wheel. When I get them back, I take my orbital sander and start with a some 220 grit and work my way down to 600... then I break out the polishing wheel until they look like a mirror. Then it's just a matter of shooting them with some clear and done.

I've done a few sets for my friends since I don't care for the ten holes, but never got any photos... I plan on doing a set to put up for sale, so I'll make a video when I do. Not too hard and they turn out a lot better than the ones in the above video.

I figure I'll have about $20 and two hours of my time per wheel and be able to sell a set of four for around $250 on ebay or CL.... if not, I'll get my money and time back by taking them in for scrap.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

i always loved 10 holes....they arent a bad looking wheel idk why there is so much hate towards em
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I would be interested in one of those sets as a spare for my daily driver 90. They would have to be near perfect wheels with no road rash, dents, scraps, cuts, blemishes, etc., and the final finish of the clearcoat would have to be just like the stock finish. They would also have to be very durable, because I drive this car daily. If you can do a job like this, I'll let you do the current set on my car as well! lmk

QUOTE=capri debris;1416669]I'll stick with my method. I actually take the time to remove the tire, take it to my local media blaster and pay $10/ wheel. When I get them back, I take my orbital sander and start with a some 220 grit and work my way down to 600... then I break out the polishing wheel until they look like a mirror. Then it's just a matter of shooting them with some clear and done.

I've done a few sets for my friends since I don't care for the ten holes, but never got any photos... I plan on doing a set to put up for sale, so I'll make a video when I do. Not too hard and they turn out a lot better than the ones in the above video.

I figure I'll have about $20 and two hours of my time per wheel and be able to sell a set of four for around $250 on ebay or CL.... if not, I'll get my money and time back by taking them in for scrap.[/QUOTE]

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Only $150 per wheel!

Considering everything done...

damage check
    balancing
    cleaning
    painting
    machining (rough)
    deburring
    machining (finish)
    clearcoating

...I think it's a reasonable price.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    I'll stick with my method. I actually take the time to remove the tire, take it to my local media blaster and pay $10/ wheel. When I get them back, I take my orbital sander and start with a some 220 grit and work my way down to 600... then I break out the polishing wheel until they look like a mirror. Then it's just a matter of shooting them with some clear and done.

I figure I'll have about $20 and two hours of my time per wheel and be able to sell a set of four for around $250 on ebay or CL.... if not, I'll get my money and time back by taking them in for scrap.
    I would like to see ur finished product
    If nice I would like to know how much u would charge for a set of 98 gt wheels?
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Considering everything done...

damage check
    balancing
    cleaning
    painting
    machining (rough)
    deburring
    machining (finish)
    clearcoating

...I think it's a reasonable price.
    Not when you can buy new Ponys for $120 or $140 ...
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=96404
    Last edited by Forever; 07-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

As soon as I am done re finishing the cobra r's I just got Im going to be doing my 10 holes for the capri. Same plan for both, sand blast, sand smooth again and powdercoat a clear coat on them. Im hoping they will be durable, look good and low maintance.

I like Eastwoods paint mixer ad, Im going to have watch it again to make sure of its accuracy
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    We don't want new pony's. We want factory restored wheels. $150 a wheel is reasonable. It's the turning to get the ridges that make that unmistakeable sheen pop.

85/86 wheels don't have the gray inserts, so they should cost less to restore.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    We don't want new pony's. We want factory restored wheels. $150 a wheel is reasonable. It's the turning to get the ridges that make that unmistakeable sheen pop.

85/86 wheels don't have the gray inserts, so they should cost less to restore.
    I agree- that is the "right" way to do it. Sanding them smooth, polishing, etc. is not the correct finish- they are supposed to be turned. $150 a wheel is a killer price. Heck, most places I deal with wouldn't even want to sandblast and powder them for that price each, forget machining, checking for flaws, etc.

That all said, if it were mine, I would probably blast/sand/clear if it were mine only because I have the equipment and it wouldn't cost me much to do. But for the guy who wants OE, this is a hell of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    You mean you can buy cheap chinese knock offs of Pony's for $120 or $140.

Fine for most people, doesn't cut it for some.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

wow thats a great process, I couldnt find a price, was it 150 a wheel. I think the cost of shipping would make it cost prohibitive. I wish this place was closer.

Quote Originally Posted by HAD85B4 View Post
    Only $150 per wheel!

The sets of wheels that I had were'nt as rough as the one in the eastwood clip but they had alot of cuts and scratches in the clear and some cloudiness.

This way is not the only way but it was really cheap and turned out great for me.

This was the cheapest way that I cleaned up several sets of my wheels. I sprayed them with water and while wet, give them a heavy coat of easy off oven cleaner. As the cleaner starts to eat away the coating and starting to bubble, start misting a little water on the wheel with a spray bottle.
    After it sits for about 5-10 min depending on the clear coat start scrubbing the wheel with some green foam dish rectangular dish pads "Not SOS pads" to remove the clear coat. Depending on how easy the clear is coming off, you may need to repeat the step again with the easy off.

Once all the wheels are completed and washed several times to remove the old slime and easy off they should have an almost polished finish.

I washed them several times to make sure all the cleaner and nothing else was left behind, then I prepped them to be powdercoated. I sprayed them with my craftsmen gun, I used eastwoods full gloss clear and baked them.

I would provide pics so you can see the results but I no longer have them due to a house fire

Quote Originally Posted by kgray59 View Post
    ...This way is not the only way but it was really cheap and turned out great for me...
    Nice information. Thanks for the tip!
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

No worries bro, just trying to pay it forward...

Shortly after I had the 85 painted, I did some work on the original 10-holes. They were in pretty good shape, so I stripped the clear coat, hit with polish (by hand), and finished them off with Zoop Seal. I thought they turned out well without blasting. I think the Zoop Seal would have held up well for me, since I don't tend to drive the car in the rain.

[IMG][/IMG]
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Found this old thread, have a set of used 10 hole wheels. Which out of all of these works the best? Any new ways or opinions? Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon06 View Post
    Found this old thread, have a set of used 10 hole wheels. Which out of all of these works the best? Any new ways or opinions? Thanks so much.
    I really like the way these were done.....
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light=10+holes

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White