Close

Default Blue oval emblems- color?

New to the board and in the middle of restoring my 86 gt. Tried the search function but couldn't find a definate answer. What is the correct colors for the blue oval emblems front and rear for an 86 gt. Are they both the lighter blue emblems, or just one and the other dark? Thanks

They both should be the same color which is a darker blue...the front one will typically fade to a lighter blue given the angle it is on. I replaced both mine when I went through my 85 vert a couple years ago. The correct emblems are tough to find given they were only produced a couple years. You can find the later year versions that are slightly different and aftermarket versions for that year but the nos Ford emblems are tougher to find. I found some but had to do some digging.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I think that Ford used the lighter blue in the ovals from 83 - 86, and then changed to the darker blue ovals in 87. The darker blue are usually easier to find, and the decklid emblems will all interchange through the years. I'm not sure about the front grill emblems, but I believe they will also interchange. No matter which color was used, the color of the ovals from the factory was the same on the front and back.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

1980-82 Mustangs that had an oval up front had a different lighter blue one than later years. Part number is E0ZZ-8A223-A.

1983-86 Ford Mustang grille ovals (except the SVO) were the same bright blue as the rear emblem. Part number is E2GZ-6742528-B.

1987 - 3/1989 LX Mustangs had a darker front emblem. Part number is E2FZ-8A223-A.

After 3/1989, LX Mustangs used a slightly different dark blue front emblem. Part number is E9ZZ-8A223-A

1987-1993 Mustang GT's and 1984-86 SVO's had a dark blue front emblem. Part number is E2GZ-8A223-B.

Ford Mustang trunk/hatch ovals between 1982 and 1993 were the brighter blue. Part number is E2DZ-5442528-A. Tabs were included for fitment.

Confusing? I thought so.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

redlordamazon

MIKE'SVO86 has what you want for sale. They are the lighter blue ovals here is a link
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=135366

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    I think that Ford used the lighter blue in the ovals from 83 - 86, and then changed to the darker blue ovals in 87. The darker blue are usually easier to find, and the decklid emblems will all interchange through the years. I'm not sure about the front grill emblems, but I believe they will also interchange. No matter which color was used, the color of the ovals from the factory was the same on the front and back.
    You guys are probably right about the lighter versus darker blue ovals as I have slept since then. There is definately a difference between the front and back ovals as far as the alignment tabs are concerned as I recall having to modify the one for the front grill. But after 2 years it still sits where I put it.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    1980-82 Mustangs that had an oval up front had a different lighter blue one than later years. Part number is E0ZZ-8A223-A.

Confusing? I thought so.
    Yes very what 80 -82 Mustang had a oval up front??? My 82 never had a spot for a blue oval on her body?? In fact I have never seen one that was original with an oval. All I have ever seen was the black letters spelling out FORD front and back no matter if it had the standard or the GT nose
    Rick Schmidt
    82 Mustang GLX hatch ( Soon to be a 351W Monster )
    84 Mustang Notch 4 Cyl car ( Not as Deceased )
    01 Mustang V6 ( Daily Driver)
    92 F150 302, (Old Red )
    And ... the 05 Grand Caravan (One Eared Blue Elephant )

tokeep from spending $35 on a new one ...a badge off the rear hatch of a 90-93 fits perfect on the front bumper cover of a 85-86 ...just have to cut tabs off and use 2 sided tape
    81 t-top cpe
    84 Gt
    85 Gt
    80 CJ-7
    06 Harley
    06 F250 FX4

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schmidt View Post
    Yes very what 80 -82 Mustang had a oval up front??? My 82 never had a spot for a blue oval on her body?? In fact I have never seen one that was original with an oval. All I have ever seen was the black letters spelling out FORD front and back no matter if it had the standard or the GT nose
    You're right. I was not correct in identifying the emblem. After doing some digging, E0ZZ-8A233-A is the "FORD" moniker.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

82 Mustangs did not have ford ovals on them. Only FORD spelled out in letters on the back of the car.
    Andy G.
    1986 Mustang GT vert, 2R, original owner, 5 spd, 19k miles
    1986 Mustang SVO, 1C, comp prep, 3rd owner, 48k miles
    1989 Ranger GT -SOLD-
    2004 T-Bird, triple black, SST

Info still VERY useful all these years later. Thank you!!