Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post

Do the rack bushing come out pretty easily? I wasnt sure if they were a pain to remove or not. Les Schwab quotes me $600 for the inner tie rods, rack bishings, and alignment. Hilarious. I don't know how anyone affords to pay people to work on their car.
    The early rack bushings have a flanged inner sleeve that rests against the K-member. The stock bushings are removed from the rear of the unit. If they're as warn/loose as you say, they should come out pretty easily. The poly bushes should be 2-piece and install pretty quickly.

I'm trying to remember if I needed to loosen the steering shaft on mine to get the DS bushing tube out (Wasn't enough room to move the rack forward enough to get it out), but I didn't have more than 1.5 hours total in the whole process. The PS one was easy.

For $20 and a little bit of time, you can tackle that. I'd just get a new tie rod and fix that while you're under the car. Less than $50 in parts and a few hours of work you can get rid of the slop in the steering. You can also set your toe with a tape measure in your driveway, and get it pretty darn close.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Agree on the adjustable RLCAs, they seem like the best way to go instead of removing my spring, cutting it, installing and seeing if I did it enough. Would be awesome to be able to just crank it down a half inch or whatever it needs.

Do the rack bushing come out pretty easily? I wasnt sure if they were a pain to remove or not. Les Schwab quotes me $600 for the inner tie rods, rack bishings, and alignment. Hilarious. I don't know how anyone affords to pay people to work on their car.

I know the tie rod SHOULD be replaced. I replaced them ~10 years ago and have driven the car maybe 3000 miles so it's not like a stock inner tie rod but I get it. Just frustrating since I don't want to ruin my tires and I don't drive the car that much so I don't honestly care if one inner tie rod is getting loose. I just want a shop to do what I ask, even if they disagree.

But I get it, liability, warrantying their work, etc.
    I get what you are saying, but if any of the parts are loose or have play then it won't hold the alignment. It is annoying to take a car in and have them give you a laundry list of issues. Out of curiosity, was it the passenger side that is loose? I just replaced both on my car with Moog. Which brand did you use previously?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I get what you are saying, but if any of the parts are loose or have play then it won't hold the alignment. It is annoying to take a car in and have them give you a laundry list of issues. Out of curiosity, was it the passenger side that is loose? I just replaced both on my car with Moog. Which brand did you use previously?
    I don't remember now which side was loose. I plan to do the rack bushings (got them from LMR) and the inner tie rods at the same time, and then an alignment. However, when I go to buy inner tie rods I see that there are different types and they tell you to look for numbers on the steering rack. I replaced my steering rack with one from a parts store many years ago and I'm not sure how to determine which inner tie rods I need. Anyone else run into this?
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

I think there was a Ford rack and a TRW rack in the early years.

Ah, here is some info:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...k-TRW-and-Ford

Unfortunately I don't know which one is the one with the SPR code that they reference in the tie rod listings.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I think there was a Ford rack and a TRW rack in the early years.

Ah, here is some info:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...k-TRW-and-Ford

Unfortunately I don't know which one is the one with the SPR code that they reference in the tie rod listings.
    Man thanks so much that link helps a lot. I have a Ford rack so I can get the inner tie rods ordered up.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12