Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here in NC you cannot get a bonded title without getting a release from the lien holder and having the lien canceled. That is why I sent certified letters to the corporation that showed to be the company that took over the original finance company. When I said that I couldn't get a title, I was dead serious. I know people at DMV and I have tried everything they have told me. I knew there would be a risk if I bought the car, but it is absolutely solid, rust-free and in good working condition. I knew if I didn't get it, someone else would and it would see 1/4 action with a v8 in it. I have had this car for over two years and I can't even begin to take one screw from it because I don't like the idea of parting cars like this. I had actually thought about making a track car out of it, but I have had two back surgeries and racing would be too much of a risk for me. Out of state title companies won't touch one with a lien either.

So.....since there is no way to get a title, what would be the consensus on this car?

If it were up to me, I would donate it to FEP to become an autocross car. I don't know if you could even do that without a title.
    1985 SVO 4e
    1985 SVO 9L "Hertz"
    1985 SVO 2R T-top
    1985 SVO 2R
    1985 GT 'Vert Silver
    1985 GT Vert Light Regatta Blue
    1986 SVO 1C
    1986 GT 4E 'Vert
    1966 GT 'Vert
    2003 Mach1

FEP Member

Im convinced this is a never ending battle, and there is no right answer. It's like politics. Everyone believes they're right. I look at it this way, if it's your car, it's your business. Plain and simple. I would like to think this site has a common ground of keeping 4 eyes on the road. Certain 4 eyes are not going to make it, its like signing your organ donor card. Im in the business of keeping these cars on the road, and in my area I get a lot of 79/86 cars. Some are nice, some are not. All I wanted was to help others keep their cars going, I'm an enthusiast, I'm pretty sure 10w30 and lacquer thinner is in my blood. However after this thread and other posts it better for me not to try and help others with the parts I come across, which boggles my mind. Everyone is entitled their opinion. My opinion is that I'd someone feels the car in question is savable, then that person should by it. If not then let the owner do what he/she needs to do. We can all agree to disagree, but I would like to think we all want to see these cars on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMustangs View Post

Just out of curiosity, what is a person supposed to do with a car that is deemed "savable?" That is if the board decides it can not be parted out?
    Honestly, exactly the same thing that happened to the one I had. I took the few parts off I needed that were good and I needed. Sold a few parts on Craigslist, then I got the 200 bucks from the scrap yard when it got crushed. I offered it for sale here on this site for scrap metal price (200 bucks) and there were no takers. Ironic that I was told by many it's salvageable, but nobody wanted to take on the task. So in the end, I still got the parts I needed, some others got parts they needed, and I got some cash in the process. Personaly I won't let a web site dictate what I do with a car that I hold the title to. I put stuff up here to try to give someone else the opportunity to scavenge some parts from a car that's going to be scrapped...regardless of what anyone on the Internet says...but when your told no, you sit and shake your head knowing that not only is the car you have going to get scrapped, but the car these other guys are getting parts off of are getting scrapped as well. So in the end, all it really adds up to is more cars being off the road.
    85 GT: bbk headers and H pipe, 3" flowmasters, k&n, bbk springs, eagle alloys, msd ignition system, a/c delete...currently at body shop receiving some fresh copper metallic pearl paint

RICERS: PROOF THAT AN I.Q. IS NOT A REQUIREMENT TO PURCHASE A CAR

On the title situation beings it looks like you are at a dead end. I would research states where you can do a bonded title. If you have relatives that live there and you trust them, you can "sell" them the car and they can do they leg work and when the title comes back, you "buy" it back. It is done all the time with hot rods. Some counties in the state can be more lax than others.

On the parting of vehicles... So if a car is in a pull a part or junkyard, drove in there, no cosmetic damage or rust issues, but you cannot purchase car from the scrap yard, is that considered salvageable?
    I also take personal offense to what was said about people buying cars or parts to make money off it. Why can't they? No one else is doing it and they are selling it to other enthusiast. That's how I put diapers on my son and food on the table. I love it. I feel like I am a.) saving parts that WILL be destroyed and b.) helping the average joe who is trying to save some dollars while keeping his car on the road. I really don't see a problem helping others out. And if I can do what I love and provide for my family, hell win/win!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12