Close

Default Mustang project/build

Some may know of the car, most may not but I picked up my brothers Mustang he never finished. Its been sitting for a few years in his back yard and talk came around of him parting it out selling parts. I started to help him sell everything but then something came to mind. How much would he sell everything in one shot for? He said a number, I agreed, now I own this hunk of junk. Ive always been a import guy and although I know how to work on these things for the most part, kind of know my way around and not having any other projects going on this season, I figured why not convert over to the dark side. So here I am finally a Mustang owner. Not sure what to expect out of it performance wise. Just trying to get this car running and drive it/weed out issues that a 25 year old car would have and sitting in a back yard rotting away for 3 years.

Reason for him selling: He couldnt get pulse at injectors and couldnt get spark. 2 things I am not worried about diagnosing. He lost all focus and drive and gave up. Here is how I got the car:

3 years ago he had the motor rebuilt by a local machine shop. Stock 302 bored .030 over to 306, stock crank, eagle rods, JE pistons 9.6:1 compression on 60cc heads, F303 cam, edelbrock 60379 heads, ARP hardware, all professionally balanced & assembled. Motor sat for a long time but I primed it, turned crank by hand, all seems fine.... I hope. Wont know until I fire it up.

So I went ahead and started changing things about the setup I didnt agree with or like. Also it was missing a bunch of parts I had to order so above pics is all I had to really work with. So I ripped into it a little, cleaned it up and started buying parts. Here is the progress:

Kind of stuck waiting on parts. Lower intake manifold is being ported by tmoss and other than that, im just waiting on UPS to deliver radiator, steering wheel, etc. Mostly everything is here waiting on assembly as soon as I get that lower back then I can spend the day finishing it up.

I really dont know what to expect from this thing. Ive spent a decent amount of money the right way I think. Still have a couple bucks more to spend but mostly its all here. Personally if the car doesnt make near the 300whp mark or run low 12s, Im all set with mustangs because for the same amount of money ive spent already, im knocking on the door of a high 11sec import. So if it doesnt do what I expect from it, expect to see it for sale or a part out.

I will update this later in the week as I get further along
    Last edited by kkline_83; 07-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Looks like fun!

I started body work on my 88 5.0 vert....might have to start a thread on it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Nice project base. Can't wait to see the progress on this one. Good luck on your reaching your numbers. Should be a fun driver.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Well I had a couple hours free of work today so I started going through it more, installing parts. First was install fuel pump, Walbro 255 and I found a couple issues. The feed and return lines coming off the sender were melted from im guessing resting against the tail pipe. 1 clip was missing on the pressure side, fuel filter looks to be OEM original. Replaced filter, now trying to find used lines. I got the fuel pump out and found the gas to be a very odd color brown/black then found 3 fuel pump socks/strainers floating around in the tank. Real nice. Put in new fuel pump setup with new strainer now trying to find some decent used lines before I rip it all out and convert pressure line to AN.

So I called it a day after this. Will get more into it Sunday. Im sure there is a crap ton more I am going to find but for now, I have my hands full with this piece of crap.

Last seasons car to this seasons car... The Irony!!! (note vanity plate)

But now I need some suggestions. Looking for a decent battery box/relocation kit to move battery to the trunk, what fluid should I run in the transmission (ive used both mobil1 syn trans fluid and 0-30 motor oil), what tire size up front (currently 215/75/15 rubs so I was thinking 205/70/15?) and I am running a 3/8" egr spacer on a gt40 setup. Will I have any clearance issues with anything? I heard I may possibly need a spacer between upper and lower to clear the throttle bracket from the FPR. And any other input suggestions are welcome.

Had some time today, but not much to get a couple things done. Painted valve covers, installed main wiring harness and added to the list of small parts I need. Sucks getting a car that has been stripped and you start over from scratch hunting all these small misc pieces.

I need:

upper radiator support brackets
    lower radiator support rubber mounts
    fuel feed/return lines (the ones from the fuel pump)
    coolant double crossover pipe from manifold to heater core
    throttle cable bracket

Got the full aluminum 3 row radiator in

Also not sure how to route the belt. I think this is the right way. I have a Gates "performance" standard rotation pump (not sure if that means CW or CCW). Part number is 43272P anyone know if this is the correct belt routing or should belt go on the other side of WP pulley?

I'm not finding anything stating CW or CCW rotation, either. I hate to say it, but you might need to remove it to check the impeller pitch. At least you'll be able to determine proper belt routing after a visual inspection.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

FEP Member

How come you got rid of the electric water pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter6101982 View Post
    How come you got rid of the electric water pump?
    Because its impractical for what I am doing with the car. That and that pump was 4 years old!!! NO THANKS!!!

An issue I ran across today torquing rockers down. I put cyl #1 at TDC compression stroke and went to tighten rockers. I spin pushrods on cyl #1 and tighten by hand slowly until I slightly feel resistance on pushrods meaning 0 lash. Then I grabbed my torque wrench set at 240in lbs (20 ft lbs) and I am getting almost a full turn before the torque wrench clicks. Not sure if this is considered with spec or if I am doing something wrong? Currently no shims are installed.

I went and reset to 0 valve lash and set torque wrench to 195inch lbs which is just slightly more than 15ft lbs torque but under 20ft lbs. I am getting about 7/8 turn out if it before torque wrench clicks. I think I am good here.

Had a few more hours after work today. I just need a day off to finish this thing but I dont have it for another 2 weeks. Next time I touch this wont be until next week sometime. I got the fuel stuff in, coolant hard lines, lower intake manifold torqued down, some ignition stuff in, etc.

I still have a nest of wires to go through and wire to starter solenoid and have some vacuum lines to figure out. I also ordered a UPR battery relocation kit. I wish I didnt work where I am working on my car or I would call in sick FML!!!

Here is how it sits

FEP Senior Member

Tell me you are getting rid of that nose and going back to stock!
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    Tell me you are getting rid of that nose and going back to stock!
    What do you mean,if it's a 25 yr old car,it's an 87,correct nose on it. Or is this an 86 with an aero nose? I did notice the halos,but given the section it's in here,I'm assuming 87 and it seems to have aero dash
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Its an 87....

Havent updated this in a little bit but I have it running. Here is a quick vid:

http://youtu.be/COmhd5nPmOA

Looks and sounds fantastic. Nice job.
    Build Thread