Close

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Well I've been working pretty hard on this car this weekend. I got a lot more done that doesn't show up in pictures, but I also got the motor and trans out of the wrecked cobra. Today I'm going to pull the lincoln motor back out of the 86 and start tearing it down to swap the new gaskets over to the cobra motor.

Weaps:

Looking very, very good on that Dash Install !!!

Your long hours have paid off with a terrific result.

Good to see you having some time to resume work.

E-Brake transplant work also looks very neat and clean !!

Keep us posted !

Thanks EJ. I love the pushrod motors and I really don't like the modulars, so I never would have thought I'd have 2 of these piles in the garage lol

Update:

Yesterday I finished up getting all of the freshly painted parts and gaskets that I had installed on the Mark VIII motor over to the built cobra motor.

I Worked all of today on cleaning, repairing/soldering and re-wrapping the engine wiring harness. The motor is ready to drop in. Friday I had the aluminum 03-04 cobra flywheel resurfaced and bought a brand new 03-04 cobra clutch kit. Hopefully the weather breaks tomorrow (been raining the last 2 days. It's rough in Cali lol) and I may be able to drop it in.

I'm so close I can taste it

There will be a lot of odds and ends before it's road worthy, but I'm hoping to get the car fired off next weekend. Today I removed the factory fuel lines and replaced them with a newer set that was modified and adapts to AN fittings in front. Then I pulled the 86 fuel tank and replaced it with the 96 unit. I pulled the fuel pump because I didn't know if it was stock, but it turned out to be a 255lph pump. I replaced the fuel pump filter and the fuel filter as well as adapted the rear fuel lines.

I should be getting the fuel system parts I ordered from summit this week as well as a COP conversion harness. I'm getting pretty amped up about it now.

I did some more fabrication to this frankenstang. I cut the SN95 steering shaft bearing out from the cobra and welded it into the fox. Since I'm using the SN95 dash I figured I would make it right. The fox shaft just pokes through a rubber grommet, but the SN's have a bearing that keeps them in place.

If the engine bay was going to be painted I would have went the extra mile to make all of the weld disappear, but I'm using spatter paint which will cover all of the weld up pretty good, so this is as far as I went on cleaning it up.

I'm hoping to drop the motor in tomorrow.

Weaps:

Looking very good !

Again very good fabrication - Nicely done combining Fox with SN hardware.

Should look very clean with application of "Spatter" paint

More terrific work !!

Keep going - You are making incredible progress.

E. J.

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    Weaps:

Looking very good !

Again very good fabrication - Nicely done combining Fox with SN hardware.

Should look very clean with application of "Spatter" paint

More terrific work !!

Keep going - You are making incredible progress.

E. J.
    Thanks EJ!

O.k. Cobra motor is in. I'm in the process of fabbing up all of the fuel lines. I had to order a few more fittings because I had to change how I planned to route a few things once the motor was in. Flywheel, friction disc and pressure plate are installed.

Tomorrow I will try and get the transmission in and modify the crossmember. Motor should see fire this week.

WOW !

Looks Super Clean

One Question:

(Excuse me if you have mentioned it before)

But what Type / Style Hood are you planning on using to clear the Cobra Intake ?

WOW !

Looks Super Clean

One Question:

(Excuse me if you have mentioned it before)

But what Type / Style Hood are you planning on using to clear the Cobra Intake ?
    Thank you! I have a 2" H.O. fibertrends cowl hood.

Weaps:

Thanks -

Quick Question - Curious

What is your Exhaust header to Strut Tower Clearance ?

Weaps:

Thanks -

Quick Question - Curious

What is your Exhaust header to Strut Tower Clearance ?
    I'll let you know soon. The next project is the long tubes. I hope I can get them to fit.

Well this was a son of a bitch, but I got it did. :yes:

I had to pull the motor up and forward to get the trans in because the bellhousing was hitting the trans tunnel, but after a cherry picker, a couple of jacks and some creative thinking (also some trial an error ) This thing is in! I lost all of my trans fluid, so I'll have to top that off before firing it up, but I'm almost there.

I drilled out all of the spot welds holding the fox mounts in place and removed them. I cut the 96 mounts to fit and welded them in place.

86 50CPRI

looks intimidating!

Weaps:

Simply amazing amount of work in such a short amount the past week or so.

Really neat looking installation -

I might offer just one observation ( which I believe that you have probably thought of ) in terms of the mounting location for what appears to be your( Aeroquip) Fuel Line.

By the way "Trail and Error" is the key to making better decisions - Based on making your OBC ( On Board Computer aka - Brain ) process better alternatives that might have escaped your initial assessment.

Given that you have not yet begun the Header installation.

I would be looking into an alternative mounting of Aeroquip ( from a Thermal transfer and Potential safety issue based on it's close proximity to the Trans and Bellhousing & Clutch) to a less vulnerable and cooler spot.
    I would also Isolate the Aeroquip with Aircraft Grade Rubber / Metal brackets
    (Used to do this on my 1967 GT 350 track car for my Fuel and remote Oil Filter Aeroquip lines. - I also used to enclose my Fuel line near the Clutch area with a Heavy gauge metal plate to protect it from road debris and rotating parts failure )

Just an observation - Realizing that you have very tight quarters perhaps routing Aeroquip outward on the chassis towards original fuel line location.

But I am willing to bet that you have that already covered.

Overall level of craftsmanship seen here is just first rate - You should be proud of what you have accomplished to date

Well Done !!!
    Last edited by EJSVO; 02-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks EJ for the tips. YES, I have thought about the fuel lines. I'm going to tackle the headers next and address the fuel lines when I see where everything ends up.

I have to go pick up some odds and ends today from the parts store. Other than that I'll rest today and watch the big game at a buddy's house. I hope to fire up the car next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    looks intimidating!
    Thanks

Nice !
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Weaps

Understood - Agree on the day off !

That is what I thought,as to fuel line final location process

Anxious to see how the header mounting process goes.

Enjoy the day off -

I messed with the passenger side header today and finally got it to fit. I had to remove the starter and smack the floorboard with a BFH. Now that I got it to fit I will come back tomorrow and bolt it up. Fuel lines were moved out of the way and will definitely be routed differently.

I ordered some radiator hoses from NAPA that I needed. They will be here tomorrow as well as my summit order. It's still looking like it will get fired up this week, but I have yet to assess the driver's side header.

Weaps:

More progress - Good to hear that passenger side header installation has presented only minor issues.

Observation - Again given your prowess I figure that you have this in your install plan:

Watch Heat transfer between Header and Starter - Fab up either a heat shield - OR Heat wrap Headers ( unless of course they are already thermally coated )

Many years ago - I killed a perfectly good starter on my GT 350 by experimenting with a different set of headers that were way to close to Starter body .
    Learned an expensive lesson - Headers didn't improve HP significantly, over Shelby Tri-Y type. And I had to have my starter rebuilt.

I know that you are growing anxious to put Fire in the Cylinders - But since you have done such an incredibly terrific job to date - Patience does pay dividends.

Which I remember every time I look at my Roll-away and see that Receipt for the Rebuilt Starter I taped to the inside of the Top box lid 38 years ago

Weaps:

More progress - Good to hear that passenger side header installation has presented only minor issues.

Observation - Again given your prowess I figure that you have this in your install plan:

Watch Heat transfer between Header and Starter - Fab up either a heat shield - OR Heat wrap Headers ( unless of course they are already thermally coated )

Many years ago - I killed a perfectly good starter on my GT 350 by experimenting with a different set of headers that were way to close to Starter body .
    Learned an expensive lesson - Headers didn't improve HP significantly, over Shelby Tri-Y type. And I had to have my starter rebuilt.

I know that you are growing anxious to put Fire in the Cylinders - But since you have done such an incredibly terrific job to date - Patience does pay dividends.

Which I remember every time I look at my Roll-away and see that Receipt for the Rebuilt Starter I taped to the inside of the Top box lid 38 years ago
    Thanks again EJ. I have header wrap and they are ceramic coated. I have to service my trans before trying to bolt up the passenger side header. I'm hoping to get that done tonight. I ordered some bulkhead fittings and a couple other things from summit last night. I have a plan for the fuel lines. I'll post pics when it's done.

Weaps:

Well. as I had expected - You are right on top of the situation !

As to Trans Servicing - I believe that you need to replace some fluid lost when you dropped the engine / trans in .

M two cents worth .

I am using Royal Purple in Both my SVO and TC BW 5 Spds.

They never shifted better since I did that about a year ago .

Expensive - Yes -

Worth it ?

In my opinion -

Absolutely !!

Sounds as if , again, you have the fuel system well thought out -

Nicely done !

Look forward to your coming updates.

Later -

I took your advice and picked up some Royal Purple today. Didn't get a chance to touch the car. Had to run around all day and take the kids to martial arts etc.

Weaps:

One of the fun Parts of being a Dad - Really !

My son is a senior in HS and just became an Eagle Scout

So while I have only one Being involved in his activities such as Scouts and Lacrosse, all the way from Third grade up to now into HS has been fun

Well - Maybe not those 0500 Wake-Ups for camping and early games - lol -

Plus he is a Major Car Guy and loves to work on , go to cruises and shows , as the driver and entrant of our 88 TC

But you will see how important these little things are and how much that means to you and your children as they grow up

Having dad involved is a very good thing - But you know that

Best part will be when you finish up the Mustang and take then for a ride.

Now enjoy the day -

Update when you can

DUDE, Asomesome job "project Insanity" is an uderstatement. You've taken insanily to the next level. The interior was quite an unique idea. Keep the photo's coming. Thanks

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast