Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    86 50CPRI

Way cool to see it in there...Im in awe!

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Way cool to see it in there...Im in awe!
    Thanks! I'm headed to the junk yard tomorrow to try and find a dash, steering column and pedal assembly from an SN95.

Looks like you are moving right along.

Nice view of that 32V in the Fox EC

Sits mighty tall in the saddle

If that is close to final mm Height

Not having seen another 32v Fox might be skewing my perspective.

That said Combo ought to be quite something when done

Keep at it

Good luck in school !!

Study hard -

Later:

E. J.

Well my friend Anthony came down from L.A. and helped me pull some parts from the yard today. We spent almost all day there running back and forth from yard to yard, but finally came home with some good stuff. I bought a complete SN95 dash, center console and 5 spd pedal assembly.

When we got back we were able to get the heater box installed. I had to modify 1 mounting bracket. Other than that it bolted right up.

This **** was nasty and full of cigarette butts and sticky stuff :look: , but after some simple green and some elbow grease it all cleaned up pretty nice. I'll go over it again before I put it in. It's going to be a chore to get some brackets fabbed up to mount the dash, but it should be well worth it when it's finally installed.

I went to the yard again today and I'm pretty happy that I did. I found a 79 Capri with Black interior that just arrived. I was able to get the rear quarters, kick panels, a pillars, door scuff plates, trunk plastic, black rear seat belts (fronts were frayed and blue from sun exposure) and even a genuine leather original ford sunroof bag! The 86 will have 95% OEM black interior.

If anyone is interested in buying the sunroof bag text me. I only bought it to sell it because it was too nice to leave in the junkyard!

619-672-7495

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    Looks like you are moving right along.

Nice view of that 32V in the Fox EC

Sits mighty tall in the saddle

If that is close to final mm Height

Not having seen another 32v Fox might be skewing my perspective.

That said Combo ought to be quite something when done

Keep at it

Good luck in school !!

Study hard -

Later:

E. J.
    Thanks man I appreciate the kind words. Not much studying to do at school. It's welding school! lol I'm already a welder. I'm going to school and collecting GI Bill money, but I will be transferring to the automotive classes soon. Brakes, suspension etc. GI Bill runs out in May, so I'll try and take classes until then. Once it's gone it's gone. I will never have it in my life again, so I want to take full advantage of it.

Well I'm sick in the head I know, but I went to the wrecking yard for the 3rd day in a row. I decided to go cut out the section of firewall from the SN95 that the dash came out of. It was no easy task let me tell you I had to break the windshield in order to cut it out. I was full of glass and have little cuts all over my arms. Short sleeve shirt Anyway.....

I will weld it into the 86 and mount the dash. Oh yeah I took the crash sensors and air bag module, so the fox will have working air bags too.

Donor car that I got the dash and dash mount from.

I trimmed the piece once I got it home.

Here is a quick test fit. I'm going to fine tune it and likely box it before I weld it in. Of course it will be tacked 1st to make sure everything is going to fit properly.

If anyone would like to comment that isn't a site supporter or if you have questions about anything that I'm doing or have done just click on my name and go to my home page. I have my own website and this is in the project section there as well. I'm not trying to give a plug for my site. It's a small local racing site and I'm not trying to steal members. I'm only posting this because of the amount of pm's I got from people who said they are watching, but can't comment because they didn't pay the $15 fee.

Mods feel free to delete this if this is a violation in any way.

X Man

No matter what type of School - Thought and study of your materials always applies

Take advantage of every dollar of that GI Bill - By serving you earned it -

I did 8 years Active and Reserve a long time ago.

Came home to Unhappy and unreasonable folks who for some reason thought that I was a monster. - No Welcome back - Bad Ju Ju as we used to say in my unit !

So I will go out of my way to make sure those who have served since 9/11 - Particularly get a healthy "Thumbs Up" and a Well Done from a former Recon Buck Sgt.

Go to school and learn a good trade - Good Welders / Fabricators are Always in Demand - You are showing very clear sings of growing Talent and a willingness to incorporate good ideas - Keep it Up !!!!!!

Later:

E. J.

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    X Man

No matter what type of School - Thought and study of your materials always applies

Take advantage of every dollar of that GI Bill - By serving you earned it -

I did 8 years Active and Reserve a long time ago.

Came home to Unhappy and unreasonable folks who for some reason thought that I was a monster. - No Welcome back - Bad Ju Ju as we used to say in my unit !

So I will go out of my way to make sure those who have served since 9/11 - Particularly get a healthy "Thumbs Up" and a Well Done from a former Recon Buck Sgt.

Go to school and learn a good trade - Good Welders / Fabricators are Always in Demand - You are showing very clear sings of growing Talent and a willingness to incorporate good ideas - Keep it Up !!!!!!

Later:

E. J.
    I meant it as a joke meaning I don't have my face in the books per say. I didn't mean for it to be taken so literal. I was not recon however I was an 0311 (Basic Rifleman), 0352 (S.M.A.W. gunner) and an 8552 (MMA Instructor). I picked up Sergeant in 3 yrs 7 months. I got out for 2 yrs and after September 11th I volunteered to get back on active duty and did another 2yrs. (Sgt of the Guard at MARFOREUR)

I got out and have been a government contractor on Naval Air Station, Coronado in San Diego ever since. For the last 9 yrs I have been an aviation crash crane mechanic / (Ground Support Equipment), but about 5 months ago moved into my own shop as a welder.

I know what you mean about the welcome back. Although I feel guilty for not having seen any action I did everything in my power to be a Patriot for my country. I came to terms with it and figured someone upstairs just didn't feel like calling my number.

Sorry for the rant and my thoughts are all over the place because I have been up since 4am.

EJSVO, Semper Fi brother and for what it's worth Welcome home!

Went back to the junkyard between work and school

I brought my center punch, hammer and cordless drill. I drilled the spot welds out of the 2 brackets that go on the sides of the trans tunnel that the dash bolts to. I could have easily made some brackets, but I like the frankenstang thing that is going on right now

Weaps:

I did not intend to be a negative -Meant in a positive sense.

Service is important at EVERY Level of EVERY Branch of USMC, USAF, USN, USA, USCG -

Those who see Combat - Only do so because of teh Thousands behind them who support and make any mission possible

NEVER forget that -

My dad and Father-in-Law both WWII Marines - Dad - Pilot TBM & Corsair Father-in-Law - 1st Div - Gudalcanal -

Me USA - Inf / Recon - No Regrets for my service - And Eternally greatful fo rthose Brothers and Sisters such as yourself who have made the commitment to Serve their country
    Keep up the great work and the Pics -

SEMPER FI MARINE

E. J.

I should have done more research. My SN95 firewall idea didn't work. The dash sits way to far back to use it. Started trimming today. Should have some updates tomorrow.

o.k., so like I said I didn't do my research on the dash swap, so I thought I would be smart with cutting out the mounting point from the 98. Well I guess I like to learn the hard way. I even made brackets for it and this is how far out the dash was after I bolted it in. I gave it the old college try, but it didn't work out so well

Once I saw that wasn't going to work it was back to the drawing board .............>

After getting an idea of what had to be done a started a grueling 2 day cutting and fitting affair that still isn't finished. I have a pretty good rough fit and now I'll have to do some fine tuning and start making the brackets and getting things welded up.

The dash is just sitting in there right now, but you get an idea of what it's going to look like. This is a lot of work! hew:

86 50CPRI

We have a member here that has done this swap on an '81 or '82, along with a Mach1 drivetrain swap, I cannot remember his ID but Z06 was part of his username. There are some photos on his build thread I recall. Keep up the awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    We have a member here that has done this swap on an '81 or '82, along with a Mach1 drivetrain swap, I cannot remember his ID but Z06 was part of his username. There are some photos on his build thread I recall. Keep up the awesome work!
    Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I have it under control now though. The car won't get touched for about 2 weeks. Flying to chicago for my sister's wedding this week.

Well for those who don't know what I've been up to with this project, I am no longer using the 32v motor out of the lincoln for this build. It will be going up for sale soon and once again progress on the car itself has slowed to a turtle's pace.

I couldn't pass up the deal on the wrecked 96 Cobra with a fully forged bottom end 32v 5.0 10.5:1 modular performance engine for $1500. The car had a bunch of other goodies on it that I've been selling to make my money back on the purchase of the car.

I got the car fired up today and man it sounds like a beast! Now I will be pulling the motor and trans out of the 96 and using it in the 86 and eventually selling the lincoln motor. A lot of work and no time. Story of my life

86 50CPRI

smoking deal on the Cobra! WOW. .this car is going to be incredible. Doesnt it just go that way? When you decide to do something, what you want is not available as such. So, you piece it together. Then when you are knee deep in parts, along comes a package deal with EVERYTHING you just accumulated...

I feel the same way with my 5.0 swap. I decided to build, now, there are several complete used setups for bargain prices I would have happily picked up...oh well, look to the future when it is together and just how you want it.

That's exactly what I said to the guy. I asked him where the hell he was 4 months ago lol It's all good. It will just take longer, but will be a better car in the end.

Here is a short video of the motor running. It still had a miss, but I'm not worried about that. It could be any number of things that will be addressed during the build.

http://youtu.be/JHo3op82ELs

I can't wait to see how this ends up. keep it up!
    Current Ride:
    2007 silver Ridgeline RTL

Past Rides:
    1985 black 2.3 auto Capri
    1989 black GT
    2000 laser red 3.8 5-speed Mustang

Future Ride:
    85/86 GT or Fox Notch or Any Cobra

Back from the dead!

I've been working balls to the wall on this car for the last 2 days. I got the dash fit and mounted. I pulled it back out and ran all of the cobra wiring behind the dash. I also ran all of the body wiring. I'll have to do some cutting and splicing to get the doors to work etc., but I'm moving at a pretty good pace.

I finally had the chance to fix this. The last guy had a pretty poor attempt at it.

Fixed!

I also got the cobra pedal assembly installed today. I still have a lot of little things everywhere, but I'm getting closer.

86 50CPRI

Very Nice progress!!Eager to see more.

Great to see more progress - Interior front end is starting to take shape .

Well done - Keep at it !

Well it's starting to look like a car again.

The dash is in and completely wired. I was working on the center console and wanted the e brake to work, but the mounting points were different between fox and SN95. Fox was in the middle and the SN95 is offset towards the passenger side. Lucky for me I have a wrecked 96 cobra, so I cut out that part of the trans tunnel and welded the 96 piece into the fox.

Here is what it looks like as of today. I'm going to try and get the seats in and start on the door panels tomorrow. Oh yeah, don't worry the tacky grey airbag will be painted black lol

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast