Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by huck01955 View Post
    Wow my friend it looks sweet . I love the dash as well the car looks great and the seat Hope you have fun taking it to work your friends will be drooling all over it so it a good thing you dont have a high dollar paint job
    Thank you very much Sir! I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. I think I'll have a bunch of leaks if it does. All of the weather stripping on this car is shot. There are spots where I can see inside the car lol

It all takes time one step at a time Yesterday I got my car out first time sense last fall

Weaps:

Looking very good -

I agree big improvement over "green primer"

On the road to work this week is a great accomplishment -

Now to Huck's well stated point -

One step at a time -

Which is what has gotten you to where you are now.

Well Done !
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

Thanks guys.

Well it never fails with this car. Every time I think I'm getting ahead something new pops up. I drove it to work today and after work a buddy of mine was behind me as we pulled out and then he sped up to get along side of me. He told me that the right rear wheel was wobbling.

The first thing I thought was I know I tightened the lug nuts because I actually torqued them. I stopped off at a gas station anyway and they loaned me their tools and sure enough the lugs were good.

The whole way home I was on pins and needles hoping my axle wasn't going to fly out on me. When I got it home I jacked up the rear and slowly spun the tire and noticed the brakes would drag only in one spot. Seeing as how the rotor are brand new I think one of these POS ranger axles has a bent flange.

Ok I was frustrated last night, but after giving this some thought it may be an easy fix. The new rotors I bought for the turbo coupe disc brakes are drilled for 4 & 5 lug patterns. They didn't slide right on like they should. As a matter of fact I had to persuade them with a dead blow to get them on. Now I'm thinking the rotor is not seated flat against the axle flange. I'm going to pull the rotor and clean up the holes and get it to go on nice and smooth and see if that fixes it.

I should have cleaned up the holes at the time, but I guess I got impatient. Live and learn. Hopefully it's a quick fix. To be continued.............

Weaps:

Better to know Now -

Call on the Ranger Axel Flange might be the answer.

That said that begs the question of correct Fit of Rotor Hat to Axel

I would check the ID of the Rotor Hats and the OD of the Ranger Axel flange and then compare them to Known specs for each

Just a quick thought

Past Pony's

1967 - Shelby GT 350

Rotors are flat as can be on the flanges. I'm 95% sure the flange is bent. The caliper is moving around with the wobble, so it's not the rim or the tire. I jacked up the car today and put it in gear. I don't think it's life threatening, but it has to be addressed none the less. Another bump in the road for me.

Weaps:

Yes a Bump in the Road.

But a Bump that merits the application of your considerable skills.

If the Caliper is "moving around" there is the potential for - as you are aware:

At the least Weakening or, worst case, Breaking the Caliper mounting bracket or the Caliper and or its Brake line. None of which is likely to have a good outcome at any speed.

Additionally the "Bent Flange" is likely putting a low grade Harmonic vibration into the Rear end housing which could lead to potential rapid Axel bearing degradation and or problems inside the housing where your axle splines connect with the Differential.

That issue could become very troublesome and very expensive in a short amount of time.

Just my two cents worth -

And I know that it is easy for me to say that laying out the cash for a new Axel, spending more money now than you had planned, is perhaps the best immediate answer.

But that said in the scheme of how much incredible amount of great work, time, money and effort you have expended to this point, which has resulted in the truly terrific car that Project Insanity has become, the cost of a new axle is worth considering.

Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by EJSVO; 04-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Past Pony's

1967 - Shelby GT 350

Very well said EJ I agree with you and Weaps keep your head up my friend

Going to the track tomorrow to see what this pig can do.

86 50CPRI

Looks incredible for one..hope it does well!

Great to see you posting on your car again my friend . I wondered how it was working out I hope well . Best of luck at the track

Well it was one and done for me. I think the motor already had an issue that I tried to ignore (#7 spark plug had oil deposits caked on it) and taking it to the track made it show it's ugly head. I knew I was taking a chance with the motor, so live and learn. For some reason the car kept dying on me all day. It died after my burnout it limped to the end of the track @ 74mph and then died. Barely started back up and then died when I grabbed my time slip. Started it back up and drove to the pits and it died again.

I was thinking the idle was too low,so we started messing with that in the pits and then we heard it. The infamous rod knock.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 06-02-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Ow man sorry to hear about your motor

Quote Originally Posted by huck01955 View Post
    Ow man sorry to hear about your motor
    It's ok man. I should have rebuilt it to begin with, but didn't want to drop the cash. Now I'll have to drop it anyway. I'm not going to take it apart anytime soon. I have a lot going on right now. Project Insanity is officially dead in the water lol.

Weaps:

Sorry to hear about the motor issues. Never a good thing but you have the right perspective on the project.

While Project Insanity May be "On Hiatus" for the near term the overall positive is that you will have time to devote to your new business and put some cash away for that motor rebuild at a later date.

What should be encouraging is that you still have a following of your fellow FEP members interested in how you are doing both with the wrenches and in your overall effort. And that following is because you have made Project Insanity such a class job from day one.

As you once said "it's another bump in the road" a Road that you have come a very , very long way on in an incredibly short time to date.

And certainly a road that you will once again be driving P I down in the not too distant future with that Weaps built Cobra motor "Running nice and smooth on all 8"

Go build that business - All of us FEP fans of PI will be here when you post again.

Past Pony's

1967 - Shelby GT 350

Thanks EJ. I appreciate that.

86 50CPRI

EJ...Well said. I agree 1000%. what you have done on this car is nothing short of amazing, and if you think about it, all the hard work is DONE!!! So, you have to pull the motor and go through it.Enough of a task in its own right, but then you put it back in, and enjoy the hard work that is already behind you.

You know, life throws us detours,opportunities, and responsibilities along the way.As you deal with life, check back in and let us know how things are going.

BTW, did you off load the first Lincoln motor already, and the original 5.0?

Thanks fellas the support is much appreciated. Project Weapon X will probably step in front of this one for now. Not sure if you guys have seen my other build that I started?

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Thanks fellas the support is much appreciated. Project Weapon X will probably step in front of this one for now. Not sure if you guys have seen my other build that I started?
    No wear is it ? I would love to see it

Weaps:

I am with Huck on this one !

Might you be referring to your "New Business" and a related project for it ?

Clearly you have our collective attention here

Past Pony's

1967 - Shelby GT 350

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910