Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Project Insanity!

I called this thing project Insanity because I must be crazy for taking on another project. I'm up for work at 4am everyday and off at 3pm. I start welding school at 4pm and get home at 10pm. I sleep on average 4hrs a night. Luckily I have weekends off.

Anyway as I said in my intro thread I bought this car because my race car is going to take far too long to finish and I need my mustang fix and my daily driver 4 banger isn't giving it to me, so I picked up this 86gt. I paid $2200 for it and it's rough, but I couldn't pass on the T-tops.

I've started buying parts and doing little things to it. The plan was to get it painted, fix engine leaks and restore the interior. As with most of us with this horrible addiction things snowball out of control.

I ordered an H.O fibertrends 2" cowl hood that came damaged, so I refused it. Now I have to wait on dumbass ups to process the claim before I get another hood.

I also ordered some procar seats. They are not corbeaus, but they will work for now.

The bumper cover on the car is cracked in 4 places and rather than repair it I hit up craigslist and BINGO! I scored this for $200

I started on the interior and found the infamous broken drivers seat bolt. A half ass repair was attempted. Looks like someone tried to braze it. I'll get that welded up.

A couple before shots of the interior

After I installed the black carpet from my coupe

I also scored some black door panels on craigslist.

I got a wild idea when I went to the junkyard this weekend and I will be headed back to the yard during 4th of july weekend (1/2 off) to see if the grampa donor car is still there. Can anyone guess what my plan is? Only if it's still there. If not things may change.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 06-23-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Subscribing,this should be interesting(as in awesome)!
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGTOP89 View Post
    Subscribing,this should be interesting(as in awesome)!
    Thanks

OK - I'm curious

I'll add my two cents.

Since you have the interior essentially gutted -

How about adding the SVO / Ford Motorsports Dead Pedal .

Thought being it would look like ( I could be wrong ) that is an SVO Wheel and Shift Nob already residing in your car.

Little touches add up !

Looks like a terrific project .

My son and I will be looking for an 1986 T-Top car next year, when he graduates from HS, as a Father Son Project car. Our goal is to find an unmodified car and add subtle, but tasteful improvements .

Later:

E. J.

Thanks. I'll see about getting one of those.

Jegs wants almost $80 each for these pro car seat brackets.

I have access to a lot of fabrication tools now that I'm a welder, so I tried my hand at making my own. I could have come up with my own idea, but I figured why reinvent the wheel. :whoknows: , so I ordered one from jegs knowing I would be sending it back after I got my blueprint. :look:

I still have to make another one. :smash:

o.k. haven't updated this in a while, but here is what I've done to this point.

Front and rear bumpers have been removed and I found that the fog lamp bracket as well as the core support were tore up.

I straightened and painted the fog lamp bracket and went to the yard with a cordless sawzall and got a new core support.

Straightened and painted fog lamp bracket

85gt core support

Both seat brackets are now done and painted

Oh yeah and I picked this up for $205 at the local yard so what the hell lol

Then I bought this from a guy on corral

I have a t45 lined up from a friend for a good price. I'll try and keep you guys posted. Just been very busy. Not sure if anyone is even watching this thread, but I'll continue talking to myself anyway lol
    Last edited by WeaponX; 07-08-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Looking like you've been busy!

92 notch-WIP
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Huge thanks to my friend Chris (black5.0) for picking up a couple things I spotted on craigslist. Some OEM black armrests to match my OEM black panels and a hydroboost master cylinder for the swap!

Keep us posted. Love what I'm seeing already!!!
    Black, 85 GT, T-top, 5sp, ......SOLD WAH!!!
    68 F100, 4x4, 390, 4 sp.
    68 Bronco, Roller 302, injected, auto, being modded!
    2010 Raptor, SCAB, 6.2.......
    2012 Focus, little motor.

(7-16-12)

Not looking good so far. I performed a leak down test and the driver's side head looks to need a valve job (60%-90% leak down). I'm going to try a couple of other things before I condemn it. On the passenger side I was able to smack the valve with the end of a wooden hammer and it sealed the cylinders up a bit more resulting in a lower leak down percentage.

It's quite possible that this engine was sitting for a long time and the valves are gunked up and not sealing. That's the reason why a couple good whacks helped seal up the passenger side (worst cylinder was 15% leak down...the best was 5%).

Remember this is also on a cold engine. Hopefully I can get the driver's side to seal. I should have more conclusive info this weekend."

O.k. well this thing has already turned into a money pit, but I'm not turning back now. The driver's side head just wouldn't seal. The valves are all leaking due to all of the crud built up on them. I figure I would need a valve job which would cost in the range of $400. After the valve job I would still be on the look out for some cobra cams to put in the heads. Another $200.

Instead I found some clean 96 cobra heads complete ready to bolt on for $400.

I also scored a 97 cobra wiring harness that is complete from headlights to taillights. The only things need to make the swap complete now is a trans and a k member.

I'll probably pull off the lincoln heads tonight and post pics of what I find.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 07-21-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Well as most of us here know from experience, nothing ever goes according to plan. My plan was to pluck a 4v out of the junkyard, throw a cobra intake and computer at it, wire it up and go. Well after I did a leak down test all of that changed. I have a cleaner set of heads to throw on it now, but after the cost of gaskets, hardware and parts it's spiraling out of control. A good number of you probably saw this coming, but when I get a head of steam the addiction takes over.

All of the cylinders look decent with no scratches, so that's a plus. We'll see what happens. Time to get everything cleaned up and reassembled. Going to be a while because these POS motors cost a fortune just for some ****ing gaskets. Oh well, no one to blame, but myself. I could still easily scrap the swap plans now, but my mind won't let me. I'll feel like I failed and I can't do that.

Well here are the pics

Driver's side head. This was the head that has the leaky valves

Passenger head. To me this one looks worse, but had good leak down test results on the whole bank :scratch:

Shortblock :shrug:

86 50CPRI

Awesome direction this is going! I just now saw the thread..nice choices! It looks like you have access to some nice equipment, as well as some nice parts. This was one thing I want to do as well, the 4.6 4V swap. Those motors just look so cool, I think. Good luck with it.

BTW, you might already know, all the 4V motors came with 24# Injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Awesome direction this is going! I just now saw the thread..nice choices! It looks like you have access to some nice equipment, as well as some nice parts. This was one thing I want to do as well, the 4.6 4V swap. Those motors just look so cool, I think. Good luck with it.

BTW, you might already know, all the 4V motors came with 24# Injectors.
    Thanks. Yes I have the injectors for it. They came with the lincoln motor that I yanked from the JY.

O.k. I've been busy since the last update. I have my own site, so I'm going to copy and past from it and just add the dates.

7-16-12
    Not looking good so far. I performed a leak down test and the driver's side head looks to need a valve job (60%-90% leak down). I'm going to try a couple of other things before I condemn it. On the passenger side I was able to smack the valve with the end of a wooden hammer and it sealed the cylinders up a bit more resulting in a lower leak down percentage.

It's quite possible that this engine was sitting for a long time and the valves are gunked up and not sealing. That's the reason why a couple good whacks helped seal up the passenger side (worst cylinder was 15% leak down...the best was 5%).

Remember this is also on a cold engine. Hopefully I can get the driver's side to seal. I should have more conclusive info this weekend.

7-21-12
    O.k. well this thing has already turned into a money pit, but I'm not turning back now. The driver's side head just wouldn't seal. The valves are all leaking due to all of the crud built up on them. I figure I would need a valve job which would cost in the range of $400. After the valve job I would still be on the look out for some cobra cams to put in the heads. Another $200.

Instead I found some clean 96 cobra heads complete ready to bolt on for $400. I also scored a 97 cobra wiring harness that is complete from headlights to taillights. The only things need to make the swap complete now is a trans and a k member.

I'll probably pull off the lincoln heads tonight and post pics of what I find.

7-21-12

Well as most of us here know from experience, nothing ever goes according to plan. My plan was to pluck a 4v out of the junkyard, throw a cobra intake and computer at it, wire it up and go. Well after I did a leak down test all of that changed. I have a cleaner set of heads to throw on it now, but after the cost of gaskets, hardware and parts it's spiraling out of control. A good number of you probably saw this coming, but when I get a head of steam the addiction takes over.

All of the cylinders look decent with no scratches, so that's a plus. We'll see what happens. Time to get everything cleaned up and reassembled. Going to be a while because these POS motors cost a fortune just for some ****ing gaskets. Oh well, no one to blame, but myself. I could still easily scrap the swap plans now, but my mind won't let me. I'll feel like I failed and I can't do that.

Well here are the pics

Driver's side head. This was the head that has the leaky valves

Note the discoloration in the problem head vs the good sealing head.

Good one

7-22-12

I got the deck and pistons all cleaned up. Time to get some head gaskets and new bolts. Gonna have to wait for some money 1st.

7-24-12
    I started taking stuff to work. Cleaning parts and getting some things painted. I disassembled the gunked up IMRC plates and cleaned them and reassembled them. Yes I will be using them. I just ordered all of my gaskets and a new high volume oil pump / pick up tube. I should be able to start putting this thing back together this weekend.

7-27-12

I've been frustrated with this motor, but it has been a very good learning experience. I found out last night during assembly that I most likely didn't have to buy the cobra heads although I'm happy I did. Also I think I found out the real reason the car was in the junkyard and the culprit that deposited the metal that was sucked up by the pick up tube. Finding out exactly where the metal came from has me sleeping better about this motor now that I know it wasn't a bearing or anything.

The driver's side head was the one that wasn't sealing and I thought it was the valves. Turns out it was out of time. Here is the reason the timing was thrown off. The driver's side chain tensioner wore a hole in the chain guide and was rubbing directly on the chain causing the chain to slap around and jump teeth due to all of the slack in the chain. By the way there was absolutely NO evidence of a valve contacting a piston.

Shaved tentioner

Hole in chain guide from tentioner

Now that I found the issue it was time to move forward!

Got my new oil pump installed.

I got the heads on and timed properly. This took a scare and a headache, but it is correct now and all cylinders are getting a decent seal for a cold leak down test. Including the driver's side.

It's time to start cleaning the garage and the rest of the parts, so I can get it back together. I'm still gathering parts, but it shouldn't be much longer. I feel like I'm over the hump now.

Oh yeah I cut out the jacked core support and sandblasted the new one at work. I will be welding it up soon.

Last edited by WeaponX; 07-27-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Nice!

92 notch-WIP
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

86 50CPRI

You will probably be better suited with the Cobra heads anyway. If you dont have the Sean Hyland book about these motors, I recommend it just for the info about the parts the factory used on these motors, and the 'ratings' of each.

Looks like you are going to have some spare parts here pretty soon...

I will have some spare parts. You need anything?

86 50CPRI

Im in the middle of a 5.0 conversion into my 86 'vert. There are alot of little things..I have anticipated most of the bigger stuff, and either have it lined up, or its on the list. Im sure there will be a ton of little things though. I am building the motor, but am having a hard time getting the correct rings (long story...) have most all the front end dress(brackets,accessories..), have a fresh AOD, exhaust... but I've even thought about just dropping in a complete, assembled motor ,saying screw assembling all the little things, and replace my built motor later down the road. And, of course, I'd love to do what you are doing to yours...

A little more progress today. It's starting to look like a motor.

I did a little mock up of the cobra intake. I hot tanked my overflow bottle, power steering pump and power steering reservoir. My valve covers were dry, so I brought them home. I only had a chance to get one of them on. I'll get the other one installed tomorrow along with some other small things. Manifolds should be ready tomorrow as well.

86 50CPRI

simply Beautiful!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast