Close

Default need advice on 5.0 flywheel dowel pin install

84.5 GT 5.0 - just installed a new Ford Racing 10.5" cast iron flywheel. I'm trying to get the three Ford Racing pressure plate dowl pins installed in the flywheel, but can't seem to get them aligned straight to hammer them in ... they keep getting cocked. It's hard to get them aligned while laying on my side, though the car is raised about 10 inches. I believe that I've correctly identified the proper holes ... the ones in the middle of each pair of threaded holes ... I can see the step at the bottom of each dowel pin hole. I've done some searching here and other places, but haven't found an answer that I'm confident will work. I could use more force, but don't want to damage the pins or holes.

1) Will a little bit of lube help?

2) Do I really need to use a deadblow hammer? I don't have one.

3) Please don't tell me to remove the flywheel and press these dowel pins in ... I've already installed the flywheel twice (and meticulously cleaned it with brake cleaner twice) because I forgot to install the aluminum spacer plate the first time.

4) Why are the dowel pins strictly needed?

Thanks!
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Super Member

The pins are needed to align the pressure plate and keep it from moving

maybe use a needle nose pliers to hold the pin and give it a good tap with the hammer
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Put the dowels in the freezer for a few hours.
    '79 cobra/357w/toploader etc etc etc
    2013 foureyedfox calendar...Ms. February and cover!
    Best 12.6@110 w/2.0 60'

"Junk Car" before/after
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...70#post1476670

You can get a can of air like you clean computers with and turn it upside down and spray them. Hold them with a pair of pliars, the liquid coming from the can will be freezing. This should shrink them enough to get them in. At the same time you can put a LITTLE heat on the hole, so it expands a little. Not much heat, don't want to warp the new flywheel.

Freezer....and the holes were clean??

I put my dowels in the freezer for a couple hours while letting the fly wheel sit in the sun(got too hot to touch!). Dowels tapped in easily.

Thanks for the tips. I tried putting the pins in the freezer (0 deg F), but that didn't really seem to help. Though I did get one pin in about half way. The holes are clean ... brand new flywheel. Even bought a 2lb deadblow hammer ... didn't seem to help much, but it is quieter than the carpenter's hammer. Also tried to press the pins in with a 6" c-clamp, but the swivel at the end of the thread worked against me.

The ideas for cryo spray, torch, and sun may work, but I pulled the flywheel (again) and plan to see if I can get the pins pressed in tomorrow at a machine shop. If that doesn't work, you may soon see a For Sale ad for an almost running car.

I guess I've gotten a little soft. I did all of this (minus the dowel pins) on my 79 Capri about 25 years on a dirt driveway, so I thought it would be a piece of cake in my garage this time. I've learned a lot this time and I do work a lot smarter than I did back then (better tools now ... 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar prevents a lot of cuts/bruises/strains!, better body protection ... no greasy hands and fingernails), but I'm ready for this to be over and get the car on the road again!

Lithium grease?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

OK, took the flywheel to a local auto repair shop (Ash Automotive on Hwy 3 in Webster). The guy put a 2x4 block of wood underneath the flywheel and hammered in the pins with a 2lb copper-headed hammer in one minute with no drama. He started the pins by holding with his fingers and tapping them lightly. They started a little crooked, but 5-6 hard blows lined 'em right up and drove them home. He didn't charge me anything.

Here is what I've learned:

1) Install the dowel pins on a bench before you install the flywheel on the engine.

2) Forget about freezing, heating, grease or any other tricks. Just use that 2lb hammer like you mean it and wear appropriate eye protection.

3) General lesson for working on cars (old ones in particular) ... have confidence that you are going to complete the task and don't let the metal defeat you. God made iron, but he also made man wonderfully and in His image, so show the metal who's the boss.