Close

Threaded View

Default Help diagnose an oil leak (w/pics)

Hope you guys can help. I have an 85 GT all stock with 72000 orig miles on it. I am the second owner, first owner let it sit without starting for 14 years
    In 2010 he put it back on the road and put 4000 miles on it in 2 summers then I bought it.
    The rear main seal appears to have a small leak. I just had the valve cover gaskets replaced because they were leaking. I took the car on a 300 mile trip and then let it sit for a week. Yesterday I notice a large oil leak on the passenger side coming down from the motor mount. I have cardboard under it in the driveway to keep the small rear seal leak from spotting up the driveway.
    The bottom of the motor mount can be moved up and down and twisted around. I can't reach the other mount so not being a mechanic I have no idea if this is normal.
    The bottom of the valve cover does not appear to be leaking however, the oil is coming down and pooling in the motor mount and then running onto the sway bar and then hitting the ground.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...aStorm/058.jpg
    I cleaned off all of the oil with spray 9 and water from this side of the engine, drove the car 10 miles and then this amount of oil leaked out in the first 30 minutes!
    Hopefully someone here can give me an idea or two. Thanks
    Last edited by BlackWatch; 06-23-2012 at 12:24 PM.