Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have the 05-13 wheels. From my research online I should be fine with a 275 tire on a 10" wheel. I know we have different offsets but if you could throw your wheels onto the car with the IRS I would really appreciate it. Just to get an idea. Don't kill yourself though. When you have an injury it is definitely best to take it easy

Quote Originally Posted by j.youngberg View Post
    An IRS would be really sweet. What springs do you have on that thing? The front end looks really low. The new wheels look great though!
    Thank you! It has coilovers so I can mess with the ride height later. I kinda like the look of it sitting low though

I just realized that everything I was reading is stating that a 18X10 will fit on an 03 cobra. So at least I know it will clear the IRS. What I dont know is if it will stick out of the wheel well and look goofy. Also the wheels most people run have the 35mm offset.

So with my offset the wheels would sit in further and most likely fit inside the fox rear quarters. However that added offset might cause them to contact the IRS.

Then I could run a spacer and it would clear the IRS but it might stick out of the rear quarter and look goofy. AAGGGHHH too much to think about!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazor05 View Post
    I just realized that everything I was reading is stating that a 18X10 will fit on an 03 cobra. So at least I know it will clear the IRS. What I dont know is if it will stick out of the wheel well and look goofy. Also the wheels most people run have the 35mm offset.

So with my offset the wheels would sit in further and most likely fit inside the fox rear quarters. However that added offset might cause them to contact the IRS.

Then I could run a spacer and it would clear the IRS but it might stick out of the rear quarter and look goofy. AAGGGHHH too much to think about!!
    Yes, this is the issue! The 99-04 cars have more rear wheel well area than a Fox does. Add the additional interference of the IRS on a Fox and you can have huge issues. I know most recommend the low profile bolt head for the 03/04 Cobra running a 10" wheel. I am sure that will be a bare minimum for a Fox.

As you stated the deeper offset of the 05-13 cars might help, but require a spacer to set the wheel right in the wheel well. I will try and check this out this weekend. My ankle is feeling better, but not great yet, but at least it's not going to require surgery as was feared!

I will post up what I am able to determine with the test fit.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Well I started the tear down already and I am just going to use the axles and brackets I already bought. I need to get this thing back together. Maybe an IRS will happen someday in the future.

Thank you for your willingness to help though! I really appreciate it.

Ok, my weekend did not go as planned, but I do have some information and pictures for you.

The wheels that I have are the Bullitt 18X10 with 22mm offset and 6.38 backspacing. This happens to be almost identical backspacing to my 17X9 Cobra R wheels with 36mm offset and 6.41 backspacing. So the inner clearance is virtually identical. The outside is completely different. Also the tire is 275/40/17.

As you can see the 94-04 offset will not work with the 10" wheels.

This picture shows that there is @ 1 inch of wheel/tire sticking out past the outside of my rear wheel lip.

In my setup, I don't believe there is enough room to fit the entire wheel and tire up under the wheel lip and still have clearance both on the wheel lip and on the inner wheel well or the IRS rear mount. My current setup has @ 3/4" max clearance until the wheel/tire hits the IRS mount using the low profile bolt. IMHO you will need to move the entire wheel/tire assembly in @ 1.5" to clear the outer wheel lip. So I don't see any way to make it fit at this time. It is possible with different ride heights and possible different year model Mustangs/Capris that you might be able to make it work, but either way it will be TIGHT!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ouch I guess you can't have it all right? Thank you so much for checking for me

Now I know that if I want to go with an IRS in the future, I will need to buy some new wheels. Thanks again!

Also, I should have some finished pics up soon of my current set up. Today I finished mounting the rear brakes and I am just waiting on my rear coilover set up to arrive. I also scored a set of SVO sail panels. I love the look of those things

Wraithracing, I would love to see some more pics of your car!

Ouch I guess you can't have it all right? Thank you so much for checking for me

Now I know that if I want to go with an IRS in the future, I will need to buy some new wheels. Thanks again!

Also, I should have some finished pics up soon of my current set up. Today I finished mounting the rear brakes and I am just waiting on my rear coilover set up to arrive. I also scored a set of SVO sail panels. I love the look of those things
    Glad things are going well. Trust me I wish I had know that running 10's would be such a hassle too! I have a second IRS and still trying to decide if I swap it in one of my 4 eyes or sell it. The picture below shows the aero windows, but I have since swapped back over to the SVO sail panels too!

Wraithracing, I would love to see some more pics of your car!
    Here is the best picture I have right now.

She is a great 20 footer!

I hope to have all the suspension stuff worked out soon. I have actually raised it back up just a bit from these photos. Love the look, but the ride quality was terrible. She needs a major face lift and repaint, but that will have to wait for now. I hope to have some cool interior stuff going on soon.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wow that looks great! The stance is awesome but I understand it isn't everything. Comfort is pretty nice too haha. I don't think I have seen a PC with the SVO sail panels. Those aeros ones look pretty good even though it is a sin to have them on there lol.

Wow that looks great! The stance is awesome but I understand it isn't everything. Comfort is pretty nice too haha. I don't think I have seen a PC with the SVO sail panels. Those aeros ones look pretty good even though it is a sin to have them on there lol.
    Yeah, I had the SVO sails on it, then swapped them out for the Aero since I was missing one of the lower trim pieces on the driver side under the quarter window. Then I finally found a new piece of trim and swapped the SVO's back on. 69Clark has a totaly Kick A$$ Pace car that is set up similiar to mine, but much nicer looking. You should check out his build thread. A ton of cool tricks and ideas there.

As for comfort, the previous ride height was just too harsh. The roads here in CO aren't the best thanks to our winters and it was just beating me to death and with the IRS that was a bit annoying. I will try and get some new pictures up in it's lastest iteration. The ride height has gone up, but only slightly. I wish I had done the Coil Over setup on it to begin with, but I had the Eibach springs and didn't want to spend the extra coin at the time. The CO will be an upgrade down the road, right now I just want to drive it and now that I swapped out the 4.56 gears to a more friendly 3.27, it's a lot more fun to me. The other was just too much. Might work in a 03/04 Cobra with the 6 speed, but I couldn't stand all the RPM. It's a fun DD driver/play toy and not a drag racer, so that is fine with me. It's nice to drive something other than my F250 Powerstroke from time to time.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

What causes the front wheels to have the gap towards the bumper? Looks like the wheels sit closer to the rear of the fender.
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yeah, I had the SVO sails on it, then swapped them out for the Aero since I was missing one of the lower trim pieces on the driver side under the quarter window. Then I finally found a new piece of trim and swapped the SVO's back on. 69Clark has a totaly Kick A$$ Pace car that is set up similiar to mine, but much nicer looking. You should check out his build thread. A ton of cool tricks and ideas there.

As for comfort, the previous ride height was just too harsh. The roads here in CO aren't the best thanks to our winters and it was just beating me to death and with the IRS that was a bit annoying. I will try and get some new pictures up in it's lastest iteration. The ride height has gone up, but only slightly. I wish I had done the Coil Over setup on it to begin with, but I had the Eibach springs and didn't want to spend the extra coin at the time. The CO will be an upgrade down the road, right now I just want to drive it and now that I swapped out the 4.56 gears to a more friendly 3.27, it's a lot more fun to me. The other was just too much. Might work in a 03/04 Cobra with the 6 speed, but I couldn't stand all the RPM. It's a fun DD driver/play toy and not a drag racer, so that is fine with me. It's nice to drive something other than my F250 Powerstroke from time to time.

Trey
    I actually have seen his build thread! I just didn't notice if he had svo panels on it. His car is amazing.

4.56 gears?!?! that would be fun for a while Im sure!! Thanks again for your help and please get some pictures up of your car in its current condition! It looks great in the above pic!

Quote Originally Posted by torque overhaul View Post
    What causes the front wheels to have the gap towards the bumper? Looks like the wheels sit closer to the rear of the fender.
    I know what you mean and I have always wondered the same thing. It just must have to do with how the k member was lined up from the factory. Thats my best guess at least haha

Clean 82, i would swap out the fogs for some original Marchal Fog lights. I've seen them on Ebay for about $80/pair. I bought mine for $30/pair with the original covers from a guy parting his fox out. Those 10th anniversary wheels are gonna look sweet, hopefully you wont have too bad of a clearance issue.

I know what you mean and I have always wondered the same thing. It just must have to do with how the k member was lined up from the factory. Thats my best guess at least haha
    If you are referring to my picture it's more the angle of the photo than anything. The wheel is pretty well centered in the opening, it just looks off from the angle. I will try and get a better picture later. Just cut 1/4 coil off the new rear springs to try and get the stance right without slamming it.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I was referring to my picture actually. Yours look centered to me. I think it is also a camera angle issue with my picture too though. I dont think I have any rubbing issues with the front on my car but Im not positive yet haha.

Cutting coils can definitely be scary lol. Thats why I just went with coilovers for the rear. I know I would end up cutting too much off of my springs.

I was referring to my picture actually. Yours look centered to me. I think it is also a camera angle issue with my picture too though. I dont think I have any rubbing issues with the front on my car but Im not positive yet haha.

Cutting coils can definitely be scary lol. Thats why I just went with coilovers for the rear. I know I would end up cutting too much off of my springs.
    Coil overs were the original plan, but budget prevented it for now. Unfortunately I did cut too much off the last set of springs and that is why I am where I am now.

I tried the Eibachs without cutting, the front is fine, but the back end is stink bug high! I tried a couple of tricks, but finally gave up and cut a 1/4 coil off. I think that will give me just a bit of rake and look alright. Worse case, I can cut another 1/4 coil off until I get to the ride height I want. I checked on line with several 03/04 Cobra owners and they all seemed to have the same issue even with the much heavier Cobra, so I expected it.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Well what fun is having a mustang if you don't work on it until you rip your hair out?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Clean 82, i would swap out the fogs for some original Marchal Fog lights. I've seen them on Ebay for about $80/pair. I bought mine for $30/pair with the original covers from a guy parting his fox out. Those 10th anniversary wheels are gonna look sweet, hopefully you wont have too bad of a clearance issue.
    Thank you! The aftermarket fog lights bug me quite a bit. I will definitely be replacing them in the future. They are very bright though so at least they are useful.

Conversion is almost done! All that I need is an alignment and when my rear coilover set comes I will install it tomorrow and send it to get aligned! Here is a crappy pic with the rear wheels on and the rear sitting too high..... enjoy!

Its looking so good. Congrats!

Thanks Josh!!

The GT is looking good!

The blue paint with the stripes and the chrome Anny wheels really set it off!

Then again I am a sucker for a nice looking 82 GT and blue just seals the deal!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thank you!!! I cant wait to get my new svo sail panels on. I also ordered some SEM trim paint and will be redoing my trim.

I love the blue but now I miss having a red car. You always want what you dont have right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast