Close

Default What rims to use for slicks

A buddy of mine to look at some parts for his 93 and came across a guy that had 4 Hoosier 27x9x15's, 2 with tubes for $120. My question is what cheap steel wheels can i use for these tires, I do have a complete 96 GT disc brake rearend in my coupe.

Would like to tuck the tires inside the fenders a little, just wondering what would be the best inexpensive wheel to put under it. I was thinking of finding some 15" steelies from a Ranger, Crown Vic or even off of a S10.

Opinions please..
    Current rides:
    88 Notch 12.52@108 - Coming soon - to be beaten on again on a regular basis

2000 Explorer 4x4- New Daily driver and kid hauler

First thing you need to do is to look up the information for those Hoosiers. Hoosiers' website will list recommended wheel sizes for the tire. The go shopping for wheels that will fall within the recommneded sizes.

27x9/15 will probably be too wide for most 7-inch wide steeel wheels. You might be able to get away with 8-inch wheels, but only Hoosiers' website or their catalog can tell you. That said, 8-inch wide steel wheels are not a common size.

If Hoosiers' website says you can run a 7-inch wheel with those tires, you might look at Ranger and Explorer factory aluminum wheels. I have a dozen early Explorer/Ranger factory wheels that I run 245x50/15s on. Those wheels are the narrowest recommended for that size tire and an 8.5-inch or wider wheel would be better.

You may end up looking for aftermarket aluminum wheels or you could do what I've seen some guy do; buy those ugly, cheap-azz steel "wagon wheels" that were popular among the 4x4 crowd back in the '80s. JC Whitney still sells them. But you will have to dig around to find ones with proper backspacing to keep the wheels/tires (a) inside the fenders (b) from rubbing on the inside.

The fact that '93s have got 4-lugs wheels is what's going to kill you. Unless you make a swap to 5-lug brakes and axles, you can't use anything but Mustang 4-lug wheels. And the largest 15 I'm aware of is 15x7.
    Last edited by vern2.3; 06-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I would try to get alloy wheels for sure. Lighter is faster! S10 won't work wrong bolt pattern. But
    Jeep wranglers, cherokees, g Cherokee, ranger.... Bronco 2.

Some wranglers come with a fairly wide wheel I believe.
    Current buggies

83 Mercury capri Crimson int, 331, TKO
    91 Camaro
    85 Full size Bronco
    00 Buell Cyclone
    76 FX
    86 Yamaha TRI-Z 250
    75 OSSA Super pioneer
    02 CR250

Was talking with a co worker (big chevy guy) and he told me the s10 is a different bolt pattern 5x4 3/4 vs ford 5x4 1/2, i thought they were the same, whoops.

Thinking when i do get tires, either explorer or ranger wheels will fit the bill until i can afford a nice set of bigs & littles

Anyway, my buddy that got those tires went on the Hoosier website and found out they are a roundy-round asphalt tire, so there goes that idea. Will keep looking for a decent set of used slicks, not real important right now.
    Current rides:
    88 Notch 12.52@108 - Coming soon - to be beaten on again on a regular basis

2000 Explorer 4x4- New Daily driver and kid hauler

Just as a quick thought, will 15" wheels fit over the 96 rear disc setup without rubbing?
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

The rears, yes. They only have 11-inch rotors and 15-inch wheels will fit over 12-inch rotors and calipers.

The problem comes with the front brakes and the much larger calipers used on front brakes. With 12-inch rotors and Lincoln/SVO/'87-up GT calipers there is enough room left to safely run most 15-inch wheels.

With 12-inch Crown Vic rotors and 4-piston Cobra calipers there is only about 1/8 inch of clearance between wheel and caliper on 15-inch wheels that will clear the calipers at all. In cases of caliper to wheel spoke fit, you can run a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer to move the spokes away from the caliper.

But on some brands of wheels, the rim portion of the wheel will make contact with the caliper. It always helps to have measurements for wheels that you know fit and make comparison with any new wheels you want to buy.