Close

Default TBs, intakes, CAI, and headers

I'm starting to think about engine mods for my stock 5.0. I have 188,000 miles on it and I think my long term plans are to replace it with the 306 Ford Racing crate engine ($3995), so I don't want to purchase anything that will come with that. I figure I can slowly add a few parts to improve what I have now and then transfer those to the new engine at some future date. From what I can tell, intakes, throttle bodies, CAI, and headers are not included with the crate engines. So...my question is what do you guys recommend?

I'm I novice on this stuff and there seems to be a 100 different choices. I got an email from AM on "mods that you can do to your fox body in a hour or less". Of course, I HAD to read that one...LOL. Anyway, one of the products listed was the BBK 70mm Throttle Body w/ EGR Spacer:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-70...ni2876b67e5qv1

So, it got me thinking...is it really just an hour to install, would I notice a difference, how much a difference, and if I was to get one, which one is the one to get (different brands, 70mm, 65mm, 75mm...who knows)??

Looking for advise on TBs and the other mods listed in the title. I'm the kind of guy that likes to research and thinks about it a long time before deciding. Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

FEP Super Member

1. the crate motor is a great idea for those with little to no wrench time on a motor (unless they say they do) - search around maybe find a Ford Racing dealership and see what they can get one for... I know they can be had for less than $3,900
    2. Crate motors don't include - any front accessories or brackets, No induction/ fuel items, no exhaust parts, no ignition parts, and no oil
    3. IF I were to purchase the X306 crate motor here is a list of what I would get-

1. Trickflow EFI street heat intake
    2. 70mm TB/ no EGR spacer- buy a 1/2" spacer delete plate and delete the EGR with parts from RJM Injection Tech
    3. IIRC the GT40X heads have square ports so I would get 1 5/8" BBK long tubes and run a custom true 2.5"/3" X pipe and a matching size Dynomax cat back
    4. you can reuse your EFI dist and wires- I would get new Ford Racing ones
    5. reuse your front accessories but put new parts on and convert to a 3G alt from a 94/95 Mustang
    6. Ford Racing aluminum flywheel w/ a Centerforce dual friction 10.5" clutch
    6.a- poly motor/trans mounts and good rear lower control arms
    7. triple hook quadrant/ fire wall adjuster/ OEM Ford clutch cable
    8. 3.73 gears minimum w/ a rebuilt traction lok
    9. UPR/Maximum Motorsport full length subrame connectors
    10. 275/--/-- <-- insert your tire size here- BFG/Mickey Thomson/Hoosier drag radial tires- they're the only way you'll get traction

It's a laundry list but it's necessary to handle the 350+hp the motor will make with a good tune on a dyno... this is of coarse if you're going from a stone stock car to modified
    Last edited by zac_f83; 07-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Thanks for all the info Zac!

The next thing I plan to get is the MM full length SFCs. I'm thinking of getting their complete set including the K-brace and strut brace as well.

I'm keeping your whole list in mind, but I only do a few things each year depending on cost, so I'm trying to decide what's next after the SFCs. I'm thinking intake, then followed by exhaust. This year I got a new rad and lowering springs.

You didn't mention CAI and MAF conversion. Wouldn't that go with a new intake and TB or is that not really needed? I would rather wait and do it right then do a bunch of cheap stuff now. But, since I spred it out, I'm always trying to decide: what's best next?
    Mike
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior

Mike, I am surprised you don't have SFCs on your car. They will really stiffen up the ride. I too am in a similar predicament to you, although my car does need plenty of attention, but has over 190K on it also. I am torn with leaving the engine together as it runs so well, adding bolt ons, or swap in a new engine with everything I want done to it (already have heads, cam intake, tb, collected for the vert). If you were going to to go through the effort of all of the, I'd likely wait until a new engine ready to go in. Or, do a compression and leakdown test on the engine that is in it, and if you aren't spewing oil or have low pressure, just do the typical bolt ons for now till you are ready to pull the trigger.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Mike Croke

On your stock '86 engine, the throttle body will not do anything to improve performance so hold off on that until you get the crate engine. Even with a matching intake, the stock '86 heads just don't flow much to take advantage of the improved induction.

Full exhaust such as headers, 2-1/2" h/x pipe, and 2-1/2" cat back will give you some power and should be adequate for your future engine so that can be worthwhile now.

The MAF conversion on your stock engine will not change anything. However, if the conversion is done now, you'll know it was done correctly because the car will behave perfectly normal. If the conversion is done at the same time as the engine swap and the engine isn't running right, it's more difficult to determine if the trouble is the engine or the new computer and wiring.

Subframe connectors are a big improvement, especially on convertibles.

I believe what zac said is a pretty good start, as far as the mods go. Let your budget be your decider. Also are you planning on doing the work yourself or paying a shop to do the work? Is this your daily driver or weekend/cruise/2nd car for play or back up?

CAI is your opinion if you want to use, most of them are locate a cone type filter inside the fender well or have a shield around them to block off the engine heat. Definitely will get some more flow then the panel filter.

Converting to mass air is something you might want to look at. Certainly will improve idle and drivability with mods, considering you are speed density. I would look into the Pro-M kit and get a meter from whatever vender. I prefer Pro-M, but each to his own. From my experience, speed density held up with an intake and E7 swap.

Definately besides the intake and throttle body. I would look at some bracing, underdrive pulleys, and some 3.73's. Maybe a T-5(z) if you can get a good deal on one.
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86GTConv View Post
    Thanks for all the info Zac!

The next thing I plan to get is the MM full length SFCs. I'm thinking of getting their complete set including the K-brace and strut brace as well.

I'm keeping your whole list in mind, but I only do a few things each year depending on cost, so I'm trying to decide what's next after the SFCs. I'm thinking intake, then followed by exhaust. This year I got a new rad and lowering springs.

You didn't mention CAI and MAF conversion. Wouldn't that go with a new intake and TB or is that not really needed? I would rather wait and do it right then do a bunch of cheap stuff now. But, since I spred it out, I'm always trying to decide: what's best next?
    For sure

Personally if I was building another EFI car I would use a ?Spyder? intake (4bbl carb intake with injector bosses in it) and a Edelbrock elbow to a 80mm or so TB then a 90mm ?Lightning? MAF sensor calibrated to the injectors you have

I am a fan of MAC brand intakes (filters/piping and what not) BUT you could probably make a nice one for a little less money search Corral there is a under hood pic thread over there...

as for a MAF conversion I would look for the Ford Racing kit but that is the only one I know of -with out getting 89+ engine harness which would involve a lot of work from what I have read (haven't had a EFI car since 2008 or so)
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    Mike, I am surprised you don't have SFCs on your car. They will really stiffen up the ride. I too am in a similar predicament to you, although my car does need plenty of attention, but has over 190K on it also. I am torn with leaving the engine together as it runs so well, adding bolt ons, or swap in a new engine with everything I want done to it (already have heads, cam intake, tb, collected for the vert). If you were going to to go through the effort of all of the, I'd likely wait until a new engine ready to go in. Or, do a compression and leakdown test on the engine that is in it, and if you aren't spewing oil or have low pressure, just do the typical bolt ons for now till you are ready to pull the trigger.
    Ed, yeah I know SFCs are one of the most popular mods for our cars, but modding hasn't been on my radar until recently. I just enjoyed the car as is and fixed things that needed to be fixed.

Over the last 3 years, I have loved restoring my car, this website, and the hobbie in general. Now, I think I'm addicted..LOL. I'm enjoying my old car even more then I would a new one and I think its cooler too. Although, it does smell like a new car with all the new leather..LOL.

It sounds like we are in the same position: high mileage, but still running strong. I don't know about the compression, it runs great and no leaks. So, I'm not in any hurry to get a new engine (I'm thinking a few more years), but I bet it will be fun to have that extra hp. Basically, I'm thinking about between now and then. Let me know how you decide to go.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post
    On your stock '86 engine, the throttle body will not do anything to improve performance so hold off on that until you get the crate engine. Even with a matching intake, the stock '86 heads just don't flow much to take advantage of the improved induction.

Full exhaust such as headers, 2-1/2" h/x pipe, and 2-1/2" cat back will give you some power and should be adequate for your future engine so that can be worthwhile now.

The MAF conversion on your stock engine will not change anything. However, if the conversion is done now, you'll know it was done correctly because the car will behave perfectly normal. If the conversion is done at the same time as the engine swap and the engine isn't running right, it's more difficult to determine if the trouble is the engine or the new computer and wiring.

Subframe connectors are a big improvement, especially on convertibles.
    Thanks Mike, good info.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SLow5.0 View Post
    I believe what zac said is a pretty good start, as far as the mods go. Let your budget be your decider. Also are you planning on doing the work yourself or paying a shop to do the work? Is this your daily driver or weekend/cruise/2nd car for play or back up?

CAI is your opinion if you want to use, most of them are locate a cone type filter inside the fender well or have a shield around them to block off the engine heat. Definitely will get some more flow then the panel filter.

Converting to mass air is something you might want to look at. Certainly will improve idle and drivability with mods, considering you are speed density. I would look into the Pro-M kit and get a meter from whatever vender. I prefer Pro-M, but each to his own. From my experience, speed density held up with an intake and E7 swap.

Definately besides the intake and throttle body. I would look at some bracing, underdrive pulleys, and some 3.73's. Maybe a T-5(z) if you can get a good deal on one.
    Thanks Benny, more good food for thought.

I do some work myself, but I won't be doing the engine install when that time comes. My Mustang was my daily driver the first ten years I had it, then a 2nd and 3rd car. I almost sold it in '09, but just couldn't do it and have been restoring her ever since. Now she sits uncover in my garage most days and I'm enjoying it more then ever.
    Last edited by 86GTConv; 07-14-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Mike