Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinion Poll - Dash Swap . . . . .

. . . . for my 85GT. Thinking of going with either the aero-fox dash or an SN-95 dash.

Putting installation challenges and other related and necessary modifications aside for now - what is your opinion? Should I or shouldn't I?

What say ye, consensus?

FEP Senior Member

WHY!?? Personally I find the 79-86 Mustang dash much nicer looking than the 87-93 dash.
    Last edited by mcfairmont; 06-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Don't do a sn95 swap, looks bad with the foxes square lines.
    Aero dash won't look right either.
    If you want an aero or sn95 dash, just buy a whole car.
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

Uhhh, NO...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Not a fan... Personally, I love the original early Fox dash that is correct for your year car. If you absolutely HAVE to swap it, then the Aero dash would be the easiest, but they have so much monochromatic plastic and that "shelf" on the top of the dash...yeesh!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

It's hard to beat a fox dash with a restored cluster.

I think the 79-86 dash is cooler and I dare say more masculine. What's great about our cars is they were designed in the old school 70's to be like the original mustang, but with a lot of European influence. Think of all the great European cars of that decade...it was really the best from both sides of the Atlantic (gas crisis and all). It was a big shift in American car design when the 79 Mustang came out. But then I think the designers lost their way for a couple of decades trying to copy Japan, until rediscovering thier American roots. So yeah, keep a 4-eyed dash in a 4-eye Mustang, IMHO.
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

Sorry man,I got to go with the crowd,why?,because they are alright and all right
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

I must say, I'd swap a 4I dash to an aero car, never an aero dash to a 4I car.

The 4I dash is so much nicer. Almost looks an airplane....

Default Slight Topic Update by OP

Wow - thanks for all the responses and for making your opinions clear. I had no idea this group could be so passionate about the dash, but then it IS a major component of the car.

So, your responses lead me to change the question a bit.

My project isn't going to be a restoration, and it only has the 85MPH factory speedo, which won't cut it for the plans I have for the car.

That said - what are your thoughts on keeping the dash and installing upgraded instrumentation and perhaps other *tasteful* mods (color change/accents, etc. but nothing cheesy)?

Easiest fix for a factory looking speedometer, but not an 85mph, is either a Saleen, or Ford Motorsport.

Like this fine example of escogt's 85 GT.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
    Easiest fix for a factory looking speedometer, but not an 85mph, is either a Saleen, or Ford Motorsport.

Like this fine example of escogt's 85 GT.

Well that's sweet. What are your thoughts about a custom plate with all new Autometer or other guages? I seem to come across that a lot in the wild.

I serious looked into swapping the dash from an early Explorer or similar year Ranger into my '79 Capri.

I had a '90 model 2.3L Ranger that was dying and I measured the dash and steering column to see if it would swap, 'cause I did like the Ranger dash.

However I decided to take the Capri off the street and autocross course (wish I hadn't) and convert it to racing which meant no dash required. Ten years and a couple of unplanned job changes later the Capri is still in the process of being converted.

Quote Originally Posted by bgettel View Post
    Wow - thanks for all the responses and for making your opinions clear. I had no idea this group could be so passionate about the dash, but then it IS a major component of the car.

So, your responses lead me to change the question a bit.

My project isn't going to be a restoration, and it only has the 85MPH factory speedo, which won't cut it for the plans I have for the car.

That said - what are your thoughts on keeping the dash and installing upgraded instrumentation and perhaps other *tasteful* mods (color change/accents, etc. but nothing cheesy)?
    Years ago I did the Aero dash swap.

I will never do that again!

IMHO the 79-86 Dash is a much better look in the 4 Eyes.

I would spend the time and the money on a custom set of gauges rather than the dash swap. The MC-Machine.com dash plate is an excellent start or you can modify the factory dash panel and gauge cluster to hold the new gauges. You are going to spend somewhere between $500-$1K depending on gauges, dash panel, etc. But it's well worth the investment. Better gauges, stock look at first and then everyone does a double take on the gagues!

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Years ago I did the Aero dash swap.

I will never do that again!

IMHO the 79-86 Dash is a much better look in the 4 Eyes.

I would spend the time and the money on a custom set of gauges rather than the dash swap. The MC-Machine.com dash plate is an excellent start or you can modify the factory dash panel and gauge cluster to hold the new gauges. You are going to spend somewhere between $500-$1K depending on gauges, dash panel, etc. But it's well worth the investment. Better gauges, stock look at first and then everyone does a double take on the gagues!

Good Luck!

Trey
    And just like that, my dreams are urinated on once again.

I've always been bummed that the little hex head screws on the dash bezel were fake molded plastic. Looking at the pic that Mustang Kid posted, I thought "Damn, I should make my own "modular" bezels with real, functioning screws and sell them. I'll make tens of dollars!!!!"

Then you come along and tell me about MC-Machine. Thanks a lot, pal.

Seriously, thanks for the info and input, Trey.

So why were you sorry about the dash swap - just didn't like the way it looked when it was all said and done?

It doesn't look right, plus it's a HUGE P.I.T.A..
    -Duane
    1981 Mercury Capri RS Turbo
    V8 302 5 speed.
    Build Thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=113378&page=1

I like the 79-86 dash like everyone else here and the gauges are fairly simple to get around but the cracked dash was always a issue for me. My old capri someone kinda crudely wrapped the pad in leather and bound it in the center with a leather string like a shoe lace. I really liked that but felt it could use some refinement.
    THEN I saw Tom's(69Clark) Dash, he has ruined every other dash for me forever! I have 2 cars with perfect dash pads and Im no longer that excited about them after seeing this pic!

Another big negative on the swap. The 4E dashes are far and away better looking that the aero and SN95.

Let me put it this way......if I did not have that cool 170mph BBK speedo in my 88 I'd swap that out dash for a 79-86 dash..................

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Not to discourage you, but like everyone here, the 79-86 dashes are the best. But if your dead set on doing it, your best bet will be to have a donor car for that. If you want to see what is involved check out the archived section. Gtluke, I believe did a write up on here years back and this was for the aero dash.

Worth a check
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

+1

I hated the dash in the aero noses.
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

Quote Originally Posted by bgettel View Post
    And just like that, my dreams are urinated on once again.

I've always been bummed that the little hex head screws on the dash bezel were fake molded plastic. Looking at the pic that Mustang Kid posted, I thought "Damn, I should make my own "modular" bezels with real, functioning screws and sell them. I'll make tens of dollars!!!!"

Then you come along and tell me about MC-Machine. Thanks a lot, pal.

Seriously, thanks for the info and input, Trey.

So why were you sorry about the dash swap - just didn't like the way it looked when it was all said and done?
    Well, I have been accussed of pissing people off, but never on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duey782 View Post
    It doesn't look right, plus it's a HUGE P.I.T.A..
    ^^^^ Is one of the main reasons, the swap is a HUGE PITA to do it right. I have seen other half-a$$ it, but then there are issues.

I did the swap many years ago when I was younger and dumber. At that time I thought the Aero dash was cool and different. Besides all the interior dress up items were made for the aero and not the 4 Eyes. As I have gotten older and hopefully a bit wiser, my opinion of the dash has changed a bit. I actually like both dashes, but the OEM dash just looks better in the 4E to me and I do think it has a more manly or muscular look with the squared off lines and shapes.

I do like alot of the Ergonomics the aero has to offer, especially in a DD. But most of the time my 4E's are not DD so its not a big deal. Besides with a little creativity and little hard work you can really jazz up the 4E dash alot more than the aero IMHO.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wfriedman View Post

+1

I hated the dash in the aero noses.
    What is that wheel out of?

I want one!!!
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

The bottom line is that it's your car and you are the person to make happy. However, I am for the 4-eye dash. ;-)
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
    What is that wheel out of?

I want one!!!
    It's out of a late 80's Super Coupe. I saw his posts on this a while back and got one myself. I still need to get a custom center button like he did, but it's a sweet wheel. I got my on evil bay for $45. One note...it's clocked differently so you need an alignment and it sticks out farther. You have to take your hand off the wheel to get the turn signal level. I think I am going to modify mine to make it easier to reach. But I wouldn't switch back for any reason.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast